The Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunter Reviews

June 14, 2013
If you think Iran is an evil country in the eyes of the West ,then there are a lot of excellent filmakers working in that country.
Rafi Pitts has made a gripping film which is set in the run up to Irans 2008 presidentail elections.
Pitts is outstanding in the lead as Ali a nightshift worker whos life is changed forever when his wife and daughter are killed in the crossfire of a police shoot out.
Ali is faced with police indifference to his plight and he becomes bitter and enraged.
Ali is also a crack shot and it a fit of rage he shoots and kills two policeman in a violent and random act.
He becomes a fugitive and is tracked down by two cops with varying ideas on law enforcement.

The film works because it keeps your interest and the fact that Pitts is mesmorizing in the lead role.
As a director Pitts is brave enough to repeat several shots and desaturates the stroger colours in order to give us a bleak idustrial Iran which is progressing forward but is leaving Ali behind.

The film is a great piece of soicial commentary and i for one will be keeping an eye on Pitts as this film is a masterpiece.
March 4, 2013
Slow paced, economical but gripping thriller with assured photography (busy highways, foggy mountain roads, eerie forests) and sound design. Everything just works.
½ January 1, 2013
His family suddenly - and brutally - encounters an unimaginable horror. He turns to the Police but receives apathy and procrastination for his efforts; this breaks him.

The Hunter is set against the backdrop of the Iranian elections in 2009 and in a way the protagonist represents the change many Iranians were perhaps hoping for. Whilst The Hunter isn't necessarily a political film per sť,politics is present within its DNA and motivates the story to become an allegory, of sorts, to political change; how people - flawed, miserable, frustrated people - go to work every day and find a way to care about something beyond themselves, despite themselves. When pushed to the point where one seemingly has nowhere to go and nothing to lose, is there an argument to push back and to what end?
December 17, 2012
Moody and finely shot depiction of a man spiraling out of control in due to an unseen event in his attempt to reestablish family life.
PantaOz
½ August 26, 2012
The Hunter (Persian: Shekarchi‎) is drama directed by and starring Rafi Pitts. It is a movie which was nominated for the Golden Bear at the 60th Berlin International Film Festival. Before I write about the movie, few words about Rafi Pitts: he was born 1967 in Iran, and spent his childhood in Tehran, where he lived in a basement flat underneath a post-production studio. During the war between Iran and Iraq, in 1981, he fled the country and moved to Britain. There he graduated in 1991 Film and Photography and since then makes movies... mostly not Iranian though... this one is officially listed as a German/Iranian production.

The story of Ali, who was recently released from prison, and now works during the night trying to spend most time possible with his beautiful wife and young daughter, was very engaging and well developed. We find out that Ali likes to retreat to his favourite pastime of hunting in the secluded forest north of town. One day his wife and daughter went missing... Ali finds out that his wife Sara is accidentally killed in a police shoot-out with demonstrators... and he decides to make things "right".

This feature film was recommended to me by couple of RT friends and I finally managed to get a copy of it. It is well developed movie, screenplay doesn't have too many words but says a lot, and acting was superb! Especially when towards the end the three men are surrounded by trees, lost in a maze, a desolate landscape, where the boundaries between the hunter and the hunted are difficult to perceive.

But my problem is to understand: what was the point of all of the events in this movie!?
Cinema-Maniac
July 13, 2012
After reading a review from my friend TheGodfather I quickly went looking for The Hunter and it's certainly worth checking out.

The Hunter is about a young watchman named Ali Alavi who treasures every moment he spend with his family, until one night it's all taken away from him. The plot in general doesn't much dialogue being exchange, but it little dialogue helps draw you into the movie. It atmosphere felt authentic and real while every character felt like a real human being. I find the character Ali Alavi real fascinating, his desire for revenge, his view on life, and the fact he's a loner contribute to the development of Ali Alavi. I enjoyed the writing very much, it's unconventional and unlike most of the movies I see. One scene I enjoyed allot was the chase scene in the fog which was beautifully filmed and had no music playing. In every other movie music would be added to such a scene, but not in The Hunter as it feels real and there is thrills watching a scene like that. The Hunter plot might have little dialogue, but it's huge on it plot.

Rafi Pitts did an excellent job as a director. He knows how to captures certain scenes and convey emotion in it. He knows how to move the story in interesting directions and how to tell one. As an actor, he does everything as it should be done. Rafi Pitts created an interesting piece of cinema that'll be hard to imitate from it grim atmosphere in the forest to the cinematography of it amazing setting. The man is clearly talented and I hope he makes more films in the future.

The Hunter has an incredible atmosphere, fascinating protagonist, and a experience that not many films can offer. If in the mood for something original and gripping, you can't go wrong with The Hunter.
½ May 20, 2012
The Hunter is an Iranian film directed, written and starred by Rafi Pitts. When I started watching it, it slowly drew me towards its robust climate, hardly few exchange of dialogues in duration of 18mints. Yes I knew it was my cup-of-tea. Rafi Pitts plays 'Ali' a night-watch and hunter, his wife and daughter have been killed in exchange of fire between police and insurgents, he has identified dead-body of his wife, but not of his daughter.

He is lonely, speechless, perplexed, political-prisoner. He kills a policeman at vintage-point exactly in same manner, his wife and daughter were killed. He is captured into woods by two policemen (one being big-mouth corrupt, the other being polite and honest), they lose their way back. This is an essential part of film, this puts them to practical test of their lives. Excellent cinematography, handful of dialogues, but too much to fill the space.

Roger Ebert says about character Ali (Rafi Pitts)
"He has an uncanny presence. With his severe, tense face beneath a dark brow, he suggests Daniel Day-Lewis"
(what else to say about this movie)!!!
½ April 12, 2012
Movies that are based around minimalism is not usually my film, I usually find it to be basically an excuse to take a very bare bones storyline and stretch it out over a longer period. And granted, that is what happens here, however, for some reason I was interested.

The direction I think was what did it, some magnificent shots at times, with great scenery featured. There are seemingly three parts to the movie, Acts in terms of what occurs. The First Act is the lead up to the protagonists wife and daughter dying. The Second Act is him dealing with the pain. The Third Act is based in the woods.

The thing is, Rafi Pitts, whilst a good director, doesn‚(TM)t seem that great an actor. His facial expressions are very one-dimensional and he hardly says a word, his expression mostly stoic, and without any emotion from the actor, it is hard to invest. The film looks good, but with little emotional investment, I‚(TM)m unlikely to watch it again.
Harlequin68
½ January 14, 2012
After Ali(Rafi Pitts, who also directed and wrote) is released from prison, he finds the only job he can get is as a night watchman, giving him little time alone with his wife Sara(Mitra Hajjar) and daughter Saba(Saba Yaghoobi). He perseveres nonetheless and treasures every moment they have together. In the meantime, he still finds time for a little hunting in the countryside. On the return from one such outing, he finds them missing. And then the phone call that changes everything...

"The Hunter" is a fine example of economic and terse filmmaking, making good use of its jump cuts to express the passage of time in a nonstop urban society(that apparently does not involve stoplights) that lies in contrast to the peaceful countryside. That's not the only contrast in a country that tries to be so uniform on the surface like Iran(you try and find someone in a country where half the country is supposed to dress alike) where tensions lie just below the surface, just waiting to erupt.
June 28, 2011
Ali has just been released from prison into a country which is stirring with political unrest as there is much talk of change in the streets. Ali tries hard to spend as much time as possible with his wife and daughter, even though he works a night job at the factory. Tragedy strikes when Ali finds out that his wife has been killed during a shootout between the police and a group of activists, leaving his daughter missing in the process. While searching for his daughter he learns of her fate, which quickly pushes him over the edge. The Hunter is a bleak, dark, minimalistic film. In the early part of the film, we watch Ali trying to adjust to city life again. The fantastic cinematography is cold and sterile really giving us a visual way of getting into the characters head. The shots are monotonous early on as well, except when he is with his daughter and wife. Its a slower paced film which could possibly lose 10-15 minutes, here or there, but every shot for the most part is gorgeous and has a purpose.
½ May 23, 2011
"The Hunter" ("Le Chasseur") ["Shekarchi"] 2010 (de Rafi Pitts) Iran (1h32) avec Rafi Pitts (couleurs) vu au cinà (C)ma Le Cratère (95 grande-rue Saint-Michel) à Toulouse le lundi 23 mai 2011 de 20h55 à 22h30 !
March 31, 2011
Has a solemn atmosphere, a depressingly slow pace and minimal scripting but this is a gripping film, it's also beautifully shot and framed throughout. Writer/director/star Rafi Pitts seems a man of few words. However, his images capture a real sense of isolation and his moody central performance depicts a desperate hopelessness which enhances the tone of the story.
March 28, 2011
Another Iranian masterpiece.
March 3, 2011
? "In an act of vengeance, a young man, randomly kills two police officers" If it's an act of vengeance, how can it also be random? Revenge is not a random act
½ March 3, 2011
Critica politica y nihilismo, densa pero interesante combinacion.
½ February 14, 2011
Rafi Pitts wrote, directed and starred in the best Iranian movie (the only) I've ever seen.
November 5, 2010
I had high expections of The Hunter. This didn't play out as I expected and overall I was disappointed. Could see touches of Melville in cinematography; it was lovely to look at. No strong narrative so seemed more style over content.
November 2, 2010
Boyd & Floyd quite liked. Slow to start (lots of shots of character driving).
November 1, 2010
it gets interesting at some points, but the way it is filmed and the way it is acted is very inexpressive
October 30, 2010
If the film doesn't grip you in quite the way its brutalist set-up and title would suggest, that's because the second half goes off-track in the woods, as the hero is arrested by a pair of squabbling patrolmen; the theme, ultimately, remains abstract and purely speculative. The whole, however, is rarely other than cinematic, conveying a good deal of the protagonist's jaundiced, alienated worldview without recourse to much in the way of dialogue: take the eloquent visual rhyme (or dissonance) Pitts constructs between the lot full of gleaming cars the character inhabits in his day job, and the scrapheap of rusting bangers he pulls into at the very brink of going over the edge.