The Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunter Reviews

December 5, 2015
Langsom og stemningsfuld spændingsfilm uden de store overraskelser.
½ November 15, 2015
The film has different and interesting story, but scenes are moving slowly. In adition, that isn't a good film and my point is 5/10
½ September 21, 2015
The Hunter is a subdued thriller that benefits greatly from a great performance by Willem Dafoe and a strong sense of mood.
September 13, 2015
Pretty solid. Good story and writing, and pretty good acting all around, especially by Defoe. I appreciate the lessons, both positive and negative, that this film attempts to convey to the viewer. Whether or not it gets them across as effectively is another story, but I like that it at least tries lol.
September 7, 2015
Some absolutely beautiful camera work and an amazing performance from Dafoe with a unexpectedly tragic\touching ending. Great movie.
½ August 21, 2015
This movie is about a hunter who gets a job to go to Australia to find and kill, what appears to be, the last Tasmanian tiger! The movie's story is interesting, and I always found myself wondering if he's actually going to find one and kill it. The characters are interesting, especially Martin. The family he's staying with is almost a wreck. It was interesting seeing him take care of them, though it was obvious the family was there only for us to have someone to care about and be sad if they died. The movie looks great! The scenery is beautiful. Unfortunately, the movie does tend to be boring at times. There were a few scenes which felt unnecessary. The ending was exciting, yet predictable. All in all, a good movie about hunting with some thought-provoking themes, interesting characters, but a thin plot and a predictable ending.
August 19, 2015
A brilliant performance from Willem Dafoe in a movie that's too drawn out for it's own good.
August 16, 2015
A careful, slow burning thriller with depth and subtlety.
August 16, 2015
Not exactly what I was expecting
July 30, 2015
A slow, albeit fascinating and beautifully filmed movie for almost 90 minutes. Unfortunately, the solution in the last 15 minutes is so devastatingly saddening (without making much sense), that it's hard to say you enjoyed what you've been watching or feel like revisiting again. Which is sad because the story, chemistry between the characters and the landscape as an alien surrounding works great for the longest time. Especially Dafoe is outstanding as always. Man, if only this ended differently. It pains me to think about it.
July 14, 2015
An interesting premise...
½ July 5, 2015
Original story. Dafoe's acting was so touching and he made the movie so interesting. I will admit, I cried a bit throughout the film. I loved this movie.
June 29, 2015
good movie but I hated the end
June 16, 2015
The Hunter is no action thrill ride. The Hunter is a great drama about survival and finding a place to fit in or finding a family. It is extremely well directed and is helped by Willem Dafoe's impeccable acting in the starring role.
May 9, 2015
A slow-burning, understated philosophical thriller propelled by Willem Dafoe's terrific performance. The Hunter is not for everyone, but it is a tale filled with ideas that makes you think long after the viewing. Well done!
May 6, 2015
The cameo played by one of the time bandits dressed as a mythical creature certainly provides the one star. I would put this film in the same download folder as Leviathan and Jindabyne, that's right, the trash.
April 15, 2015
Strange film. Kind of a happy ending.
½ April 13, 2015
The Hunter is all about the consequences of Willem Dafoe's actions. He can carry out his mission and move on, or he can become apart of the Tasmanian family that took him in. The story, scenery, Dafoe's performance, and that moment at the end were all brilliant. Absolutely worth your watch.
½ March 31, 2015
"Used to work, then it stopped. Dad says the fucken fucker's completely fucked."
March 16, 2015
A film the promises much, but by the end offers only scraps; although there are things here that make this agreeable, but not by the end nothing particularly all that great. Willem Dafoe is perfect as the slightly cold-hearted, obsessive hunter who travels to the breathtaking Tasmanian wilderness to hunt for an animal that may for may not be extinct. The premise was there for an interesting film, so when this trundles along, never truly finding its main course of intrigue in either the hunting aspect or the hippy family that take him in, meaning this grows into an annoyingly disappointing film to watch. Dafoe's character is somewhat interesting, and so is the theme of an almost mythical beast running wild and what the realities of that means is handled well. Overall this is one of those films that appears like it should be a lot higher praised or well known - that is until you actually see it.