The Illusionist (L'illusionniste) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Illusionist (L'illusionniste) Reviews

October 21, 2014
Sad commentary on the lost arts.
October 14, 2014
Should've won "Best Animated Feature".
½ October 12, 2014
Moody, yet beautiful.
September 23, 2014
A clever light animated feature that was based on a story written by Comedy Master Jacques Tati himself.

The story of aged & on the downhill illusionist performer & his unlikely friendship with Parisian Street Girl.

Like most Tati films this is filled with hardly any dialogue & Subtle beautiful imagery...a must see for Tati fans.
½ September 18, 2014
Gorgeously animated and extremely (occasionally uncomfortably) pensive.
September 17, 2014
9/15/14 It is an interesting film, with almost no dialogue. Short at only about 80 minutes, it is interesting seeing the interaction between characters without saying anything. To be honest, I was tired and nodding off a little bit, but I still enjoyed it.
September 3, 2014
Small, delightful, elegant, in an old-fashioned style about a world which does not exist, it is sad to say, however, that not contains much story to keep you attached to the screen. However, the effort deserves that a 2.5 stars-movie becomes a 3 stars, just by trying to refresh the old elegance of the past.
½ August 30, 2014
Just cute and beautifully drawn.
½ August 28, 2014
Worthless, just sad, and a waste of time, nothing more, don't watch it.
August 24, 2014
The French animated film may not provide English subtitles that's rarely spoken, it only needs the meaning of the story to understand when the good animation tells the story with a purpose of being told, making this a little good-hearted film to enjoy, with a little bit of magic. (B-)

(Full review coming soon)
August 8, 2014
Poetic, funny, beautiful, moving and wonderful, that goes straight to the mind and heart of the viewer, animated and written in an extraordinary way. A story of a father's love, set in a time where artists are treated as varieties of old fossils and replaced by singers of rock 'n' roll, describing it in a poignant and melancholy. A great movie.
½ July 21, 2014
I wanted to punch myself in the face for much of the run-time of the 3 Jacques Tati films I watched a few years ago, so this was sort of a painful reminder, but it is boosted at times by a slightly less whimsical atmosphere. Then it starts getting super-depressing when, say, the spooky-clown is attempting to hang himself.
½ July 18, 2014
You say Pixar, I say "The Illusionist".
½ April 20, 2014
Die Story war leider zu lahm
April 11, 2014
Well, I liked it. Be forewarned, however, this isn't some kids movie.
½ April 4, 2014
Sylvain Chomet is proving to be the best and most creative mind in animation today. After creating the best animated feature of all time, he returns with The Illusionist, which is a very mature animated film. The Illusionist doesn't succumb to any clichés of fairy-tale endings and the same formula, but instead brings new life to animation with its original form of animation and its engaging story. While The Illusionist does fall inferior to the Triplets of Belleville, it is undoubtedly one of the best movies of 2010
April 4, 2014
The Illusionist [2010] well made; just disappointed in its slow pace at making its point in magic VS reality, new replacing old & goodwill.
½ March 9, 2014
Soulful, slow paced and elegantly beautiful, this is not something for children, the regrettably limited target group for animation these days. Almost devoid of dialogues, but holds true to the adage that every picture tells a thousand stories.
February 23, 2014
Como contar una gran historia, sin decir una sola palabra.
February 16, 2014
Captivating and beautifully rendered this animated gem makes you forget you are watching animation. Sparse in dialogue allowing the characters few choice utterings to convey the simple and very human plot. This is what rainy summer afternoons were made for. I have seen it over and over and not only see things missed in past viewings, but gain more admiration and wonder with each experience with the same characters. Done by the same genius that brought us , " The Triplets of Bellville" this one is not to be missed but to be sewn into the fabric of your life. Ken K.