The Illusionist (L'illusionniste) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Illusionist (L'illusionniste) Reviews

½ August 28, 2014
Worthless, just sad, and a waste of time, nothing more, don't watch it.
August 24, 2014
The French animated film may not provide English subtitles that's rarely spoken, it only needs the meaning of the story to understand when the good animation tells the story with a purpose of being told, making this a little good-hearted film to enjoy, with a little bit of magic. (B-)

(Full review coming soon)
August 8, 2014
Poetic, funny, beautiful, moving and wonderful, that goes straight to the mind and heart of the viewer, animated and written in an extraordinary way. A story of a father's love, set in a time where artists are treated as varieties of old fossils and replaced by singers of rock 'n' roll, describing it in a poignant and melancholy. A great movie.
½ July 21, 2014
I wanted to punch myself in the face for much of the run-time of the 3 Jacques Tati films I watched a few years ago, so this was sort of a painful reminder, but it is boosted at times by a slightly less whimsical atmosphere. Then it starts getting super-depressing when, say, the spooky-clown is attempting to hang himself.
½ July 18, 2014
You say Pixar, I say "The Illusionist".
½ April 20, 2014
Die Story war leider zu lahm
April 11, 2014
Well, I liked it. Be forewarned, however, this isn't some kids movie.
½ April 4, 2014
Sylvain Chomet is proving to be the best and most creative mind in animation today. After creating the best animated feature of all time, he returns with The Illusionist, which is a very mature animated film. The Illusionist doesn't succumb to any clichés of fairy-tale endings and the same formula, but instead brings new life to animation with its original form of animation and its engaging story. While The Illusionist does fall inferior to the Triplets of Belleville, it is undoubtedly one of the best movies of 2010
April 4, 2014
The Illusionist [2010] well made; just disappointed in its slow pace at making its point in magic VS reality, new replacing old & goodwill.
½ March 9, 2014
Soulful, slow paced and elegantly beautiful, this is not something for children, the regrettably limited target group for animation these days. Almost devoid of dialogues, but holds true to the adage that every picture tells a thousand stories.
February 23, 2014
Como contar una gran historia, sin decir una sola palabra.
½ February 14, 2014
I didn't like the ending
½ January 20, 2014
Con menos reconocimiento que las trillizas de Belleville, pero infinitamente mejor, el ilusionista es la historia de un rutero mago venido a menos, condenado a mostrar su arte en escenarios de poca monta. En uno de sus viajes a Escocia conoce a Alice, una niña que viene a modificar por completo su vida, de tal forma que mutuamente se llevan a nuevos mundos. Muy recomendable.
January 5, 2014
Stunning old school animation...plays like a Euro artsy melodrama with real emotional depth for smart kids...loved it
December 14, 2013
The most visually beautiful film I have ever seen. The design of the characters and portrayed world resembles the aesthetics of the Disney classic "101 Dalmatians" and all of the European drawing and art style. And the animation? It's as well crafted as the films and shorts from the Gold Age Era of Animation. It's like if the Nine Old Men themselves were brought back to life. And the story reminds us that magic is a power which belongs to men, talented and good men.
December 9, 2013
A pleasant animated film, set in beautiful Scotland. My comparatively low rating is because this genre of film is not exactly my cup of tea, but if you are a fan of animation with little dialogue, you will likely love this film.

It tells the story of a French illusionist, struggling to find audiences big enough to pay for the venues he performs at. He is forced to take on extra jobs at night. While performing on a remote Scottish island, he befriends a young woman, who speaks only Gaelic! The two connect and she joins the illusionist as he moves on to Edinburgh to perform his show. He buys the girl very expensive gifts, which he really cannot afford, as she believes he is "conjuring" them into existence.

The film is beautifully animated and is certainly one to see, particularly for fans of the art of animation.
½ November 23, 2013
one of the most beautiful animation i have ever watched.
a quite depressing yet so wonderful and touching story about a man who fought and struggled to exist but yet had to accept that he couldn't fight time..... anicca
November 9, 2013
A beautify animated sad tale which always make me cry.
October 31, 2013
A semi-silent film yet it conveys a wonderful and thought-provoking story, beautifully told in a hand-drawn animation. The simplicity of this film adds depth to its message.