The Imposter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Imposter Reviews

½ December 18, 2015
Those who claim that real life can always be eclipsed by a film need to see this documentary. The story just keeps growing and growing until your jaw literally drops. Completely unbelievable and yet true.
December 18, 2015
November 23, 2015
Interesting but we would never know the truth. At times a bit boring and thinking the family is really stupid.
November 19, 2015
A chilling, very real, documentary thriller that is superbly told, and needs to be seen to be fully understood.
½ September 30, 2015
It was good but not great. The story was intriguing, the story is fantastic, the cinematography is beautiful.

...I don't know. I like the gritty documentary, this was too polished, this was too high-budget, it was too perfect. The interviews were just peculiar in how they were utilised and in context of the film. I feel it would have been better suited as a movie, however implausible it is.
September 25, 2015
A masterfully directed and superbly edited documentary. This true tale unfolds as interestingly as any big budget blockbuster. Do I believe half of the "truths" presented are indeed fact? Probably not, but that's its real appeal. We meet the real players of a real mystery... it's sooo fun.
September 12, 2015
This movie is AMAZING!!
August 24, 2015
8/24/15 Netflix
One more reason good docs beat main stream movies. An incredible story with twists and turns that is better because of the real people telling their story and not actors. This is a case where a real life story can be much more incredible than a screen writer could come up with. You will remember this movie.
August 14, 2015
Great Documentairy ofa very strange story !
½ August 4, 2015
An unsettling, almost unbelievable true story of french-algerian youngster pretending to be a long lost american kid!
July 25, 2015
Incredibly cinematic and amazingly well-executed, it's definitely one of the weirdest crime stories I've ever seen. The way it plays out, you're constantly asking yourself questions and that gets frustrating. It seemed withholding of details at the wrong times, but that's the nature of this complex tale.
½ July 24, 2015
In 1994 a 13year old boy disappeared in Texas. Three years later his family received a phone call saying he had been found in Spain.
THey went and brought him home, only it wasn't him...
This extraordinary film is one of the most incredible stories you could imagine and it has become one of the best documentaries I have ever seen.
It is an absolute must see film if you get the chance.
½ July 13, 2015
Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes. What blew me away, however, was the information that comes in the final act of this insanely well-crafted documentary.
June 15, 2015
Creepy. Engaging. Roller coaster. All that. I wasn't happy with some of the "reenactments", but not enough to dislike this film.
June 12, 2015
"The Imposter" is a riveting documentary about a man who fakes the identity of a missing teenager in order to begin a new life. This film is deserving of all of its critical acclaim. When teenager Nicholas Barclay turns up in Spain after disappearing for three years, a complex international exchange occurs. The result is a truly incredible exploration of denial in the face of tragedy and masterful deception. Frédéric Bourdin's story is difficult to believe as he fools the Barclay family in spite of his age difference, different hair and eye color, and thick French accent. As the plot thickens further, it becomes better than any fictional murder mystery. Our main character transitions from villain to hero to villain as the authorities try to understand why something just doesn't feel right about this case. And once all is revealed, he becomes one of the most despicable villains ever. I don't want to spoil too much so just watch "The Imposter" and prepare to be on the edge of your seat until the credits begin to roll!
½ June 8, 2015
Fucking amazing, this gripping documetary wears the genre's trappings to a fault (down to the flat, wide interview camerawork when talking to family members) but transcends them in every way immaginable. I won't get into the specifics out of fear of spoilers but this is required watching for documentary aficionados and.. pretty much everybody else.
½ June 6, 2015
Fascinating and incredibly engaging.
May 25, 2015
Superbly crafted and absolutely terrifying because it really happened.
May 21, 2015
Interesting story, with bold and clever storytelling. A must watch documentary!