William Hurt Sheds Light on Iron Man/Incredible Hulk Crossover

Plus: "The moment of turn when society's relationship with Hulk stops being so stupid."

An Avengers movie starring the principals from various Marvel-related superhero films still seems highly unlikely -- but if it never comes to pass, it won't be because the studio failed to lay the groundwork for an eventual crossover.

Quite the contrary. As MTV News reports, Marvel is "aggressively cross-pollinating its superheroes," and has planned a pair of nifty cameos to prove it. First, fans will see Samuel L. Jackson appear in Iron Man May 2, playing S.H.I.E.L.D. operative Nick Fury; then, in June 13's The Incredible Hulk, who should be popping up but Iron Man himself -- Robert Downey Jr.?

William Hurt, busy promoting The Yellow Handkerchief, took a few moments to answer MTV's questions about Downey's Hulk cameo, and opened his comments with the following:

"I don't know how it'll work...I know it's weird [to work with a character from another movie], and to know it's a device. We did something; I don't know what that's going to be like [to watch]."

Hurt went on to stress the difference between The Incredible Hulk and its Ang Lee-directed predecessor, 2003's Hulk:

"Liv Tyler, I play her father, General Ross. There's a scene, and during that scene there are a number of things happening. [Hulk] has beaten Abomination, and then there's a crowd that gathers around, and they realize that he's beaten Abomination. That Abomination was the one who was killing for just the joy of killing; Hulk is not the one. It's the moment of turn when society's relationship with Hulk stops being so stupid...I want to see the relationship between Hulk and a world that realizes he's not the villain."

Calling himself a huge fan of the Hulk comics, and deeming Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier's version of the character "stylistically, a completely different film," Hurt also gave MTV his analysis of the script, written by Zak Penn and star Edward Norton:

"[It] has to do with the fact that [Banner's] conscience still exists in a body that is a manifestation of power and is greater than his own ability to control it -- and how he's learning that relationship. Because that's what's happening to us. That's the central metaphor for all of us, that we're learning these powers -- technological powers, whatever -- that we don't know if we have enough conscience to control in a wise way yet. And that's what he's doing."

Of course, anyone can make a movie sound good before audiences have seen it -- and Hurt is quick to admit that the film's fate is "so out of" his hands -- but still, it's awfully hard to read this stuff and not be at least a little excited to get a look at The Incredible Hulk, no?

Source: MTV Movies

Comments

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

You guys should probably toss a 'spoiler alert' in there for that paragraph about Abomination- it's not like we didn't KNOW that was gonna happen, but it's an entirely different matter to TALK about *when* it happens. Maybe I'm just too sensitive...

As to the cross-overs: if it's done well, then hey, bring 'em. If it's just

"Hi, [character from another movie]! Thank god you're here! Lucky us there's that [absurd contrivance that requires other hero] going on!"

then that's just lame.

Jan 22 - 06:13 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I agree with Tombstone, man. Hello with the spoiler alert! But anyway, sounds good. Sounds really good in fact. Nice to see that the people over at Marvel are handling things in a much wiser and inspired fashion than DC and Warner Brothers. But then, come to think of it, this has virtually always been the case. From the comics themselves on up. That's just my humble opinion of course. Batman (love him) and Superman (ehh) are undoubtedly DC's top guys. And, certainly in comparison to Marvel, their only really great labels. I would however love to see them do a Flash movie with Ryan Reynolds in the titular role. Hey, one can dream right?
But I think the real question is, when the hell is Image gonna get on the moviedome map? Let's see that Spawn do-over, let's see some Darkness, some Violent Messiahs, some New Men, WetWorks, Storm Watch!
In fact, I think I heard a rumor not long ago that there was a Darkness film in the works. Let's go, people! ;-)

Jan 22 - 06:30 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

The relaunch of the Hulk and Ironman series has the 2 characters close together and so it's cool to see Marvel doing the same with the movies. I'm with anything where the movies actually respect the books instead of how they usually toss aside the fans and the mythos of the book and do whatever they want in the movie which usually ruins the experience for those of us that follow the series. Now I need a tarantino helmed PowerMan and Iron Fist movie.

Jan 22 - 07:01 AM

kubla

Steve Khang

interesting news. it'll be much more interesting if either of these movies are any good. i am very optimistic, but then again, it won't be hard to out-do the first hulk movie. wow, that movie was really bad. it was so slow, and it breaks the cardinal rule of comic book movies-- it wasn't any fun. i hate to say that ang lee is overrated, because i like some of his movies... but he should stay CLEAR far far away from other comic book movies.

Jan 22 - 07:16 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

This should be really good. These movies look like just what the doctor ordered after a few sub-par comic films. I am actually pretty excited about both of these films.

Jan 22 - 07:53 AM

LordVapor

Justin Quarterman

I am totally with the first guy and the Ryan Reynolds Flash movie...He has the athletic look and the comedic chops to be the perfect fit there.

Jan 22 - 08:04 AM

Bowles

Jeff Dubya

Ooh, I like the Reynolds as Flash thought, although there are others I'd like as well. But regardless.

These movies look like they're gonna be good. Not amazing - I'm not going to hype them up too much - but entertaining and at least decently intelligent, like a good comic should be. Hell, anything's better than Fantastic Four.

Jan 22 - 11:24 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Good thinking, Bowles. Like Dark Knight, we know it's gonna be good. But if we let our expectations get out of control, we'll only ruin for ourselves. It's like Palahniuk wrote, "Nothing is as beautiful as you can imagine it."

Jan 22 - 12:44 PM

punktuate

Justin Montello

Marvel is looking at the big picture....the long run they want to keep these new franchises going not just end or come out looking like **** like Justice League is going to KEEP THE SAME DAMN CHARACTERS PEOPLE that is all

Jan 22 - 12:09 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jan 22 - 12:44 PM

MaxFisher14

Jack Essenberg

Hulk is gonna be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 22 - 01:22 PM

Daniel Aaron

Daniel Gentry

I think its a good idea perfect for anyone who grew up reading comics cross overs happened all the time not to mention hulk was with the avengers and iron man before even though Im not super into his character Banner is cool Iron man should be cool I still have to see how Downey Jr. plays Stark I think Samuel will be cool as Fury A black Nick Fury is a good Idea Sam can pull it off he's angry enough they just better not make him bald and they need to give him the standard issue low cut military hair and let his grey show and don't for get the cigar. and side arm. Comic book movies can become there own platform within the industry now that the efx's have caught up with the pen. But I still think there is a lot of room for growth in execution.

Jan 22 - 03:12 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Thing is though, Daniel, Ultimate Nick Fury, the version of the character Sam Jackson is playing, was in fact based on Sam's likeness. And he is, as drawn, bald.

Jan 22 - 05:39 PM

damvbat

damv bat

did liv give away the ending

Jan 22 - 04:34 PM

trpsomewhere

Tejas Padekar

I KNEW IT! :-D

Can I say, "I told you so!" ?! :-D

Jan 22 - 05:06 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jan 22 - 05:39 PM

Ruckas356

william mccloskey

love norton as banner hate downey jr as iron man. jr is to much of a puss.

Jan 22 - 09:08 PM

I Am Remote

Robert Pilkington

Anyone care about either of these series? Both are missing a key element: a convincing villain.

When's Dark Knight coming out? I hear this Ledger kid, he's something else.

Jan 22 - 11:32 PM

Ruckas356

william mccloskey

to bad he's dead, but it should help the dark knight sell more

Jan 23 - 01:43 AM

Ruckas356

william mccloskey

to bad he's dead, but it should help the dark knight sell more

Jan 23 - 01:43 AM

libertysunbeam

john jones

where was samuel jackson in iron man? i must have been sleeping through that and didnt know it lol. Iron man was great, im betting that was cut out. I remember the shield agent at the end without giving a spoiler but that wasnt
really nick fury obviously. I love samuel l. jackson no diss for him.

As far as the incredible hulk i love everything i have seen so far except the pink/purple monster looks incredibly great wich is sad because im really
going have to get over that part. i love the tv series even more than the comic and find it cool that they used the music of the tv series in the trailer. if the music doesnt suck (80% of a movie is actually its music composition) it might be decent esp if they use the theme music from
the tv series.

If your going to do a monster, please for the love of god dont do pink or purple monsters. i hope some effects guy is reading this and if you dont
believe me, look at the terrible dissapointment of stephen kings the mist.
monsters in black or grey fur or even red with dripping blood are great,
pink and purple monsters make me wonder if the monsters involved are going
to start singing elton john music or playing piano like liberache. If they
would have just gone with black aliens and changed the color of the stupid
pink monster tentacles in the mist, the mist would have been a decent horror
movie.

if freddy kruger or micheal myers or jason came out wearing pink and purple
do you think they would have been horror icons today? granted this is no horror pick but the monster is suppose to be scary lol.

if you dont change this, despite my love of ed norton this is going to be
another sucky
i know its a comic book adaption but if your going to make a "reality" based
movie, pink and purple monsters dont scare me and wont scare anyone else either.

so effects guys do two things if you actually read this

#1. change the monster color thats the nemisis in the trailer.
#2. go with the theme music of the original tv show and fans will love it.

otherwise yet another terrible remake if you dont, 90% chance lol.
but then again, its just my opinion.

Jun 6 - 12:55 AM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!