The Institute - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Institute Reviews

February 14, 2017
They did a great job of making you feel like a participant!
February 13, 2017
I was fully engaged and entertained at this curious documentary which allows the viewer to explore one of the more interesting conceptual art projects I've ever seen. Odd and sort of magical.
February 13, 2017
A beautiful idea, if only we could move past the daily routine. Then maybe we could, or me I should say, could see everyday this way.
February 13, 2017
wow...kind of a mind blower. highly recommended.
½ February 13, 2017
A bizarre, interesting journey.
February 13, 2017
Truth is definitely stranger than fiction, in this creative investigation into the phenomenon of The Institute! It will really mess with your head, but in a good way.
February 13, 2017
somewhat opaque yet very engaging documentary
Interesting and entertaining
½ February 13, 2017
One of the worst things I've seen in a long time. There should be a severe punishment for this type of movie. I want to hurt the person who made this for wasting my time.
February 13, 2017
A playful mashup of fiction and reality which left me not entirely sure where one ended and the other began, yet mind-melted enough that I didn't really care. For someone like myself who did not get to experience these "games" in person, the film was an interesting glimpse at this three year happening that I keep hearing about more and more. My favorite part was the surprisingly strong and emotional accounts from the players. Hopefully this inspires more people to explore the hidden sites and history of their own hometowns, and rise to the opportunity of adventure in their everyday. Because, apparently, it can exist anywhere in plain sight.
Is it weird? Absolutely.
February 13, 2017
fun...and blurs the line between fact & fiction
February 13, 2017
A weird, bizarre, and fascinating documentary on an alternate reality game that blurred the lines between fiction and reality.
February 13, 2017
would like to know more...
February 13, 2017
A fun dream slips into a coma.
½ February 13, 2017
"The Institute," is a documentary by Spencer McCall that documents the story of an alternate reality game in San Francisco a few years ago in which some 10,000 people participated, a hoax-based story world that revolves around a kind of EST-like cult, the mystery of a missing girl, and a lot of real-world activities on the streets. While McCall can't replicate the experiences of those involved, we get a sense of the experience through interviews with many of those involved, including the creators, the participants (including a few who are mentally ill), and occasionally capturing scenes as they unfold. By the end, some viewers might themselves wonder what is "real" and what was manufactured for either the game or the film. I liked this because it reminded me that we don't really have any way to archive these time-limited experiments. Even those which are entirely digital may suddenly vanish with the fortunes of the companies housing the data.
February 13, 2017
intentionally confusing, sometimes annoying, but pleasant if you don't fight it. hit AND miss, meta-meta, applied dadaism. the documentation of a conceptual artist's social/urban experiment is itself an extension of the game.
February 13, 2017
curiously good. artfully inspiring. quirky.
February 13, 2017
you remember when you are walking out from the theatre and you are still in the movie... well this one not just makes you feel in the movie but blends and warps reality in the most impressive ways, especially when people who were involved in the story running after you and yelling about time capsules until the end of the block.
February 13, 2017
Weird, interesting - suspect the "documentary" is part of the movement.