The Interrupters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Interrupters Reviews

July 14, 2016
This documentary enables us to understand the problems, conflicts that are a day in day out situation in a neighborhood plagued by violence. Its quite moving to see ex felons and gang leaders working to prevent the youngsters making the same mistakes they did. Violence is like virus and it shows the struggle of few and their persistence to make a difference how ever small it might be. We get to see the trans-formative effect that the group is having on the youth. We get to see and feel the loss experienced by families and friends due to violence. This documentary does not provide answers but sure makes us think deeply about a critical issue. Life is not easy and fair, it teaches us the importance of forgiveness in order to live a peaceful life. An eye for an eye is only going to make the whole world blind.
½ May 21, 2015
I found this pretty interesting as are most of the people involved. It reminded me of the Guardian Angels in New York a lot. It's way too long though, as a one hour TV programme this would have been perfect, at over 2 hours it felt very stretched. Some really touching scenes mind you.
½ February 3, 2015
Fifteen years after his groundbreaking, outstanding Hoop Dreams, director Steve James returns with this vital, extraordinary documentary that returns him to the streets of Chicago with journalist Alex Kotlowitz. Together they put an all too human face on inner city violence. The two men and one woman featured in this powerful film are known as 'violence interrupters'. Their mission is to step in and mediate situations so as to deter violence before it even begins. All of them are former gang member and violent offenders themselves. James' once again demonstrates the importance of attention to detail. It's essential viewing.
September 19, 2014
Makes its case convincingly: a violent culture needs a strong religion.
June 29, 2014
Sad, scary, eye opening. Powerful.
June 6, 2014
A year in the life of Violence Interrupters in some of the most violent communities in Chicago. A great exploration.
½ May 31, 2014
This is a film that for me brought me into a whole different world then i am used to, profiling a group i was unaware of and glad exists. Good to see the people of this community are being proactive, they are the only ones who can truly stop the violence. The only weakness of this film is its a little to long, could have cut out 20-30 min.
March 14, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ November 12, 2013
Okay I understand what the "Interrupters" motive is, but to me it seems like it could be causing more problems within gangs.
November 11, 2013
Moving, honest and direct, this movie reveals the humanity behind the issue of violence. Without resorting to sentimentality and overdramatization, it paints a sobering but inspiring story.
August 22, 2013
Heroes trudging forever uphill to make their ugly world a slightly better place.
August 2, 2013
As someone that lives in Chicago and grew-up in Chicago this is an even more sobering look at reality. Steve James does a great job at documenting the efforts of a few heroes in the Windy City that are working tirelessly in attempting to turn around a rising tide of street shootings and murders.
½ July 14, 2013
Some inspirational and interesting characters tackling the overwhelming violence in Chicago
½ July 5, 2013
raw and inspiring, genuine stories of life-long redemption and a look into individuals doing their part in breaking the cycle of violence in the poverty-stricken neighborhoods of chicago. in a lot of ways this is reminiscent of steve james's hoop dreams.
½ June 20, 2013
A very hard look on street violence. courage and the pain gone by The Interrupters
June 15, 2013
AWESOME!!! Sometimes I feel like this lady!
May 19, 2013
Depressing look at street violence in Chicago. Ameena Matthews is amazing but the task at hand is a pretty hopeless one,
½ April 27, 2013
A documentary about saving Chicago voilent urban streets.. If you love documentaries This is not a must see.... This is a have to see