The Invisible Woman Reviews

• Sep 06, 2017

goofy could have been worse

goofy could have been worse

• Oct 28, 2015

Well, I think it was intended to be a comedy but perhaps the 1940s era humor is lost on me. Or rather, it just isn't very funny. John Barrymore is at his broadest as the goofy scientist who invents an invisibility machine and then tries it on Virginia Bruce, a model who wants to scare her boss. There are the usual gags about having to be naked while invisible and then there are the other gags about having to be naked while invisible. Then Shemp shows up with a few other bad guys who steal the invisibility machine for Oskar Homolka who wants to sneak back into the US from Mexico (after fleeing the law). Thankfully, it is mercifully short. Somehow I thought I was going to be watching a sequel to the 1933 Claude Rains horror film. Might work better as the B picture in a double feature for a nickel.

• Apr 27, 2015

It's different from The Invisible Man, more of a comedic sci-fi than a dark horror story, but it's still fun and full of entertaining effects. The story is thin and not too remarkable, but it has enough laughs to keep it going.

• Jeff B Super Reviewer
    Nov 05, 2014

Unsuccessfully working off of just the comedy end of Whales successful horror-comedy quotient, The Invisible Woman makes a mockery of H.G. Wells source material and the superior films that came before it. Played for laughs that never come, the story of a model volunteering for a test-run of an invisibility machine creates science friction for all involved, which sadly includes some screen legends in thankless roles. In this unrated continuation of the Universal series, an attractive model with an ulterior motive (Bruce) volunteers as guinea pig for an invisibility machine. Eddie Sutherland, a director known for working with some legendary Golden Age HWood comedians as W.C. Fields (Mississippi), Laurel & Hardy (Flying Deuces), and Abbott & Costello (A Night in the Tropics), takes the place behind the camera. Even to the end that you consider this a distraction more than a sequel, however, the bits and humor prove negligible. Worse, John Barrymore and Peter Lorre probably wished that they remained invisible in the finished product. Bottom line: Hollow Mange

• May 03, 2012

Instead of continuing the horror genre of the previous two films, the producers on this entry in the "Invisible Man" decided to go completely over the top slapstick comedy. It isn't particularly good either. The fast talking wordplay isn't all that sharp, and the prat falls are just plain unfunny. Essentially this one features a female turn translucent person...and it mostly happens for plenty of objects to move around in "invisible" gags...which is ultimately not to entertaining. The special effects are awful this go around too. It does, however, feature both the Wicked Witch of the West AND Shemp. So there's that.

• Mar 10, 2012

This was a pretty decent film, but not nearly as good as the Invisible Man series. The Invisible Woman isn't psychotic like The Invisible Man was, but she does push the buttons to get people to notice her, even though no one can see her.

• Feb 03, 2012

clearly both barrymore and universal were just lookin 4 some pay checks

clearly both barrymore and universal were just lookin 4 some pay checks

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Oct 19, 2011

This is the worst in the series so far. The Invisible Woman suffers from a mediocre script, a new interesting idea, of which the screenwriters knew nothing of how to turn it into a good film and frankly this film was not as good as The Invisible Man Returns, which is the best sequel to the classic horror film. The Invisible Woman is very light on content with nothing really interesting to grab the viewers interest. The cast are frankly silly here and I think that they could've done a much better job at delivering a third entry to this franchise. Though the film is the worst in the series, the special effects are great. The story has been stripped of any horror elements, with only a small hint that this is sequel to a horror film. The film has romantic elements thrown in, but this isn't Casablanca, and I felt that it really didn't work. The film could have been good, but the screenwriters really don't know where to go with the story. I think it's a shame, because the first two films were terrific, well acted with engaging storylines. The only thing that this film has going for it, is special effects, which are wonderful. Unfortunately that's not enough to redeem such a tired film. The Invisible Woman plays out like a romance film in the end, and the film just doesn't cut it as a horror film. I think it's a shame because the screenwriters thought of a new concept for the series, but they just didn't know how to properly build on the idea.

• May 20, 2011

"Call the airport!" "The AIRPORT!" "On the phone!" A very silly entry into the Invisible man Collection this film is a comedy no doubt it is really funny! but the story is just really bad it takes away a lot from all they told us in the first 2 invisible man films the acting is okay but the ending is terrible this film is really funny but nothing much else it kinda ruins the first 2 films by messing with the story this whole Invisible Woman Trial in my mind did not go so well they should go back to the Invisible Man instead she also does not go mad which most of the Invisible people do and I did not like that overall this is an okay film just under the line of okay very funny I would not suggest it I say skip it and move on to the next follow up...The Invisible Agent

• May 13, 2011

I wasn't totally blown away by this picture, but it still holds as a moderately interesting watch. I wasn't aware it was a comedy before watching as I thought it was more Invisible Man type scenarios, but they just used a new light on a similar concept... In a silly way! It is decent, but it wasn't some brilliant landmark movie.