The Island President - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island President Reviews

February 27, 2016
Try telling this guy climate change isn't real! I dare you!
Enlightening and depressing.
November 25, 2015
I liked to see this documentary looking at one man trying to deliver on a promise to his people to others to care/change global policies that will help curtail global warming issues. Touching and tragic.
½ May 26, 2015
We blame China for being the biggest contributeur of CO2, but why are they where they are today to begin with?

There are some people whose lives are at stake because of our need of endless consumption.
January 31, 2014
it is so sad to think that these islands are just disappearing. also the turmoil in government there seems a problem. shows how the political process is so difficult to navigate. good insightful film.
January 16, 2014
this man is very passionate about the climate change cause and you really want him to succede
November 26, 2013
"An absorbing portrait of a man trying to turn a tide of indifference." Nasheed brought democracy to the Maldives for the first time in 2008. He made world headlines by having a meeting underwater and winning a symbolic political victory in Copenhagen. Before his term was up he was forced from office, now the dictator's party is back in power. "Shenk would have been better off spending time with the people at risk of flooding rather than filming the diplomats in their suits at the Copenhagen Climate Summit."
November 11, 2013
Definitely worth seeing. It's ashamed no one listened to him before and he's exiled now.
August 9, 2013
Awesome story, but I wished they'd subtitle the cabinet meetings.
August 4, 2013
While watching this I thought: This must be similar to the overwhelming adrenaline and emotion that some people seem to get out of watching professional sports.
July 25, 2013
great movie I enjoyed it
June 22, 2013
This an incredibly fascinating and, quite frankly, inspiring documentary about President Mohamed Nasheed's battle to bring to the Maldive Islands' struggle with rising sea tides thanks to climate change to the largest amount of people as is humanly possible so he can get the help he needs. The Maldive Islands' has an average ground level of 5 feet over sea level, making it the planet's lowest country. So Nasheed's struggle really is for the survival of his people and his country if climate change continues the way it is and his journey to the Copenhagen Climate Summit in 2009 in order to get as many countries as possible to diminish carbon emissions so that Maldives can get the help it needs. What's really interesting about the documentary is everything leading to Nasheed's mission, the Maldive Islands' were ruled over by a dictator for 30 years and it shows you how Nasheed led the charge to introduce democracy. Perhaps it wasn't just Nasheed on his own, but he was certainly an important figure in it finally forcing Gayoom, the dictator, to allow fair and free elections. I literally had no idea about any of this and it really is fascinating seeing how Nasheed goes from a political prisoner to the President of the country. Which brings us to President Nasheed. What this man is trying to accomplish, especially when so much of the world completely denies that climate change is real and think it's a conspiracy by scientists, which is idiocy if you ask me, is really inspiring. President Nasheed is an incredibly likable man and his desperation to do right by his country when he most needs it makes it very easy to relate to him. It really is a David and Goliath story, much like Crude, but Nasheed refuses to give up as he knows it would be the end of his people, perhaps not right at the moment but in the very near future, and that makes him a sympathetic figure and you wish that his words end up reaching everyone and countries end up making a concerted effort to lower carbon emissions, even if you know it is unrealistic to expect that they all will. I do think that the film sort of peaked before the Copenhagen Summit, the negotiations simply don't have the same power as seeing Nasheed hold the first underwater cabinet meeting, and let me tell you that this is a great idea to bring the spotlight on climate change, and everything else leading up to that. But it still is really fascinating seeing the negotiations take place and seeing how things, at first, may not have been going Nasheed's way. At the end of the summit, he didn't get exactly everything he wanted but it was a victory for his people and while it wasn't perfect, his mission was a huge accomplishment. Even if i had some issues with the political stuff at the Summit, this is still a top-notch and completely eye-opening documentary that must be seen.
June 14, 2013
A documentary about the Maldives, a nation of 2,000 islands in the Indian Ocean, and the man who first stood up to a long-time dictator to successfully bring democracy to his nation, and then stood up to the major countries of the world to insist on a global agreement for climate control to try to save his country from being innundated by rising sea levels. It is a story that is both inspiring and tragic.
May 15, 2013
The Island President is an inspirational journey about how the president of Maldives tried to convince the world to reduce carbon emissions in the 2012 Copenhagen Environmental summit. His alternative was to see his island nation be submerged by the effects of global warming. While the Maldives are far away in the Indian Ocean, sea levels rising affects major cities all over the world. It's a story of climate change, international politics, and fighting despite the odds.
½ May 12, 2013
Never really cared about Global warming until I saw this Docu.
May 11, 2013
An eye opener. Not because of the danger facing the Maldives but because of the stance of the other nations in a position to help them survive. You get the impression that the environmental summits that we hear about are there as a vote winning tool rather than a forum to do something about global warming. The Maldivian President seems to have done everything he could to try and save his country, and as shocking as it is, he has paid the price for not being an important enough pressence in the UN. It seems as though we are all doomed, especially the Maldives. I will keep this movie as a reminder of a country I visited that will probably not be around for too much longer.
April 28, 2013
An important movie ... It is time to wake up.
March 27, 2013
This was alright. I really liked the guy and I would like to see what made him so unlikeable in the past year or so. Why do people call him a liar? But based on this film, the man is incredibly passionate and the film is educational. It's not terribly entertaining - which is why I took a couple stars off, because I do like documentaries entertaining or else I don't really have the patience for them - but the film and its captivating and charming protagonist keeps you hooked and makes you root for him. I hope he returns as the President of the Maldives one day. I like how he addressed climate change issues so immediately after his appointment.
½ March 14, 2013
Former President Nasheed of the Maldives reminds me of Al Gore with his desperate plea to have carbon emissions reduced simultaneously...not just by small countries, but also by the biggest emitters including USA, China, and India. The difference between Nasheed and Gore is that Nasheed needs the carbon reduction due to the threat posed by global warming towards his low-lying island country of Maldives.

He succeeded in getting all the big countries to sign a worldwide agreement, despite the fact that little could be seen in those countries' actions. This achievement alone makes President Nasheed deserve a standing ovation for what he has done, not just his country, but also for our planet.
March 7, 2013
This guy is absolutely incredible and inspiring. This documentary is a must watch.