The Island President - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island President Reviews

October 16, 2012
this is a flim that is not reality but it is a imaginative story of propaganda of Mohamed Nasheed and his followers ....
½ September 24, 2012
A bit of a self serving focus on Nasheed but having visited these pristine islands I can only hope that nations continue to focus on global climate controls so we don't lose treasures such as the Maldives.
September 8, 2012
I'm 13 but I think he's amazing. :)
June 25, 2012
Very premise is nonsensical. While I think seeing how a president attempts to deal with the end of despotism and the issues and things that come with that, repressed rivalries between groups, etc etc. Not some nonsensical man made global warming nonsense.

Sea Levels rise during non glacial periods and lower during glacial periods, this is normal, natural, and been going on long before anyone knew what a hydrocarbon was. The very idea that sea levels are going to rise 3 feet in a short period of time, is nonsensical on its face, but to further claim human activity is why is idiotic.

We are in an interglacial period, until it ends, sea levels will continue to rise, as they have been since the last ice age ended, when we begin to move back toward a glacial period, liquid water will once again become locked up as ice and sea levels will lower. The seas have been rising for 20,000+ years, and will continue to, human activity has nothing to do with it, and is foolish on its face.
June 19, 2012
Amazing and frightening !
½ June 18, 2012
Slightly too hero-worshipy, but the real problem is the soundtrack, which almost overwhelms the otherwise very compelling first 1/3 of the movie. Just because Radiohead donates their music to you doesn't mean you have to beat us over the head with it.
½ June 14, 2012
Good story, and beautiful cinematography.
½ June 11, 2012
This movie was a dissappointment. To much politics, too little science. Way too much Copenhagen. Also too long. Skip it.
June 9, 2012
Eye popper, to say the least.
April 26, 2012
The power of one can change the world.
April 15, 2012
Nasheed shovels sand against the tide and never gives up hope.
April 3, 2012
Hero's journey. Documentary of a small man from a small nation, imprisoned, tortured and then elected president in 2008. His country with a 3,000 year history is counting the days until it's wiped off the map by the rising ocean. At the United Nations lectern, he said he's left with no choice but to speak even if no one is really listening. Last month the dictator's forces removed him from power. So he's full circle back to where he began. Rallying his countrymen to declare their civil rights, and hoping to turn the tide in the Maldives and for the planet.
April 1, 2012
In the simultaneously inspiring and harrowing documentary "The Island President," Mohamed Nasheed was elected to the presidency of the Maldives, a 2000 island archipelago nation in the Indian Ocean, bringing an end to a thirty-year repressive dictatorship in 2008. But a new struggle presents itself in global warming. Currently, the effects there can be seen in erosion and the groundwater. All of which could lead to a unique culture and nation being literally wiped from the map, and its country's population turned into 'environmental refugees.' So, instead of spending valuable resources on health care and education, he has to go with sea walls and other protective measures.

So, through this example, we get a disturbing look at what all of our futures may be like if we do not change our ways very soon.(With the use of some great shots, the Maldvies do seem like something out of speculative fiction.) If our behavior affects all others across the globe, then why can't the butterfly flap its wings in the opposite direction, which is where Nasheed comes in, not only in speaking across the world(I'm not recommending invoking World War II usually in speehces, but if you have to, mention Czechoslovakia), but also in proposing to make his country entirely carbon neutral in 10 years by relying on renewable energy sources like solar and wind, making the Maldives an example for the rest of the world. This is harder than it sounds with the economic interests of countries like China and India making things especially difficult with a memorable climax at the climate conference at Copenhagen in 2009. But sadly, Nasheed did not have that much time as he was ousted in a threatened coup in February of this year.
½ March 31, 2012
Critics love the global warming aspect of the story, but I found the first part far more interesting. It dealt with Nasheed's rise to power after years of repeated imprisonment and torture to eventually triumph over the tyrant who ruled the Maldives for 30 years. Nasheed was just removed from office in February 2012 in a coup. I would like to see more about that than the non-event that was Copenhagen. I also liked the aerial and undersea footage of the coral reefs the islands have been turning into for thousands of years, and will continue to no matter how much or little coal China burns.
March 28, 2012
A movie ultimately doomed as it's premise, that sea levels are rising at an unprecedented rate and threatening the Maldives, would appear to be completely false.
Oh, and he has now had the rug pulled out from under him and been forced to resign.
March 16, 2012
The producers gave this documentary film the tagline, "Can this Man Save the World ". In the Indian Ocean there are a series of small islands called the Maldives with a population of about 400,000. It is the lowest lying country in the world with literally no hills. There are some large building on at least one of the islands but the main industry is tourism with beautiful beaches and high-end hotels. Since 1978 the country had been under the iron rule of President Maaumoon Abdul Gayoom who was able to harshly suppress any opposition to his ruling party. One of the leaders of the opposition was Mohamed Nasheed who was thrown into jail and spent 18 months in solitary confinement. Eventually a new constitution was established in 2008 which allowed the country's first multi-party presidential election which elected Mohamed Nasheed as President. This documentary is about this man and how he became a world wide symbol for environmental reform. Nasheed made it his mission to make the world aware of how his country is seriously threatened with extinction if global warming continues and if the water line rises another three feet, which it is on track to do. He made the case that eventually much of the world, even New York City will be threatened by the rising water which comes with carbon emissions and global warming. Despite opposition by developing countries such as China which feels it needs to use fossil fuels to continue its growth, Nasheed carried on an amazing, almost one man, campaign at the all important 2010 Copenhagen World Wide Environmental Conference attended by important representatives from most of the world nations including Secretary of State Hilary Clinton . This film used a very creative and effective approach by following this passionate, very likeable sincere man who pleaded individually and at the plenary sessions to save his country and save the world. In the end, while he couldn't get full agreement on the exact number to which carbon emissions should be reduced over a period of time, he got members of this conference for the first time sign a document agreeing to reductions . The emotion of this accomplishment was quite palpable as the viewers felt close to this remarkable man as we followed him throughout his non-stop activities with a musical backdrop effectively provided by 14 songs from Radiohead and some other music by Stars of the Lid. The film was directed and photographed by Jon Shenk and Samuel Goldwyn Films picked it up for distribution. You come away from this movie quite informed and feeling good. It is scheduled for release at the end of March and President Mohamed Nasheed was supposed to help promote this movie in the US and elsewhere which would allow him continue to crusade for the environment. Unfortunately, a month before the scheduled release there was a coup d'edat in the Maldives and Nasheed was forced to resign and was thrown in jail again. The situation there is evolving and the " end cards " for the film are constantly being revised as the political situation changes day by day.(2012)
March 9, 2012
This is a superb movie. Probably one of the most important in many years. Should be mandatory for all elected officials in every country of the world.and it is beautifully filmed....
Suspenseful, engaging. President Nasheed is an incredibly interesting man.
February 27, 2012
Manbearpig! Al Gore Manbearpig is in the Maldives! MANBEARPIG!
February 11, 2012
This looks very inspiring, and brings home the reality of climate change.