The Journals of Knud Rasmussen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Journals of Knud Rasmussen Reviews

February 15, 2011
Yes, slow to start, however gives great insight to the experiences of aboriginal people dealing with the influences of European contact. Could apply to many indigenous cultures in any country, past and present.
½ July 19, 2009
It is like a documentary rather than a movie. But i enjoyed watching it.
April 30, 2009
I found this movie to be incredibly dull, and a huge disappointment since I absolutely loved Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner. The pacing is too slow, and it really doesn't feel like anything happens throughout the course of the film. It also lacked a strong central character as I didn't feel particularly connected or engaged by anyone in the movie. The one good thing I can say is that it is beautifully shot, but that's about it. I wish this movie was so much better, but for me, it just wasn't.
½ January 3, 2009
Though there are a number of very effective moments, this doesn't work as well as the first feature. The artiness doesn't work at all and much of the film seems concerned with showing how these people live regardless of pacing. That said, it's still fascinating and the preacher is a pretty evil character, which is very effective. But it's nothing compared to the first movie.
June 5, 2008
A beautiful piece where poetry and reality converge perfect... I love when the shaman said to the white man "we believe happy people should not worry about hidden things" and "our spirits are offended if we think to much". Wow!!!
April 2, 2008
If you are interested in Inuit culture, take this 2 hours slow journey, otherwise avoid it.
January 27, 2008
...still watching it... so far it's great...
½ January 7, 2008
very interesting look into the lives of Inuit in the past
December 23, 2007
A very good movie - stark story, stark landscape. The slow action and development also capture the monotony of the arctic pace of life. The only reason I don't rate it higher is because it pales slightly when compared to Atanarjuat.
½ December 16, 2007
a piece of Inuit history that is important to know about and sad to see it fade into obscurity
November 29, 2007
Not as good as Fast Runner, but all right. It's just nice to see something Canadian without white people and where people don't bitch about the weather.
½ November 1, 2007
sad but moving movie about the decline of Inuit's culture. great movie but not as good as the fastrunner.
October 25, 2007
Very powerful, and I always wondered what that one female figure was doing throughout the film, seemingly indifferent to all the commotion happening around her. The little twist at the end (which explained everything about that mysterious figure) was a delight. Also, the Inuit throat singing was interesting, especially as the backdrop for the fantasia-like lovemaking scenes.
½ October 13, 2007
Absolutely painful, and a good example of why Canadian cinema deserves to fail. It opened TIFF '06, and yet people ran out of the screening.
October 12, 2007
thanks for the rec Chenoa!
October 11, 2007
At once enlightening and thorougly depressing. Illustrates the ignorance of the colonizing force to the inherant richness of cultures they ignored as primitive (as we often still do today).
October 1, 2007
Good Inuit Movie!
1920's changes of Inuit culture.
Sad but beautiful and Life..
Hardship with nature and changes .
September 22, 2007
Captures the ambiguities and complexities of colonization very well. Even the white ethnographers and explorers aren't happy to see the influence of Christianity and commerce while some of the Inuit willingly and unwillingly submit to the promise of a new way of life.
½ September 20, 2007
Not a conventional story by any means, this film starts very slowly, and it is not until the end that everything becomes clear and the sense of loss becomes overwhelming.
September 17, 2007