The Journey Is the Destination Reviews

• Jan 10, 2019

An absolutely beautiful biopic about the remarkably inspiring photojournalist Dan Eldon. As one whos life was changed upon discovering Dans legacy I highly encourage artists and audiences alike to take the time to watch The Journey is the Destination and see how Dan was able to change the world in his 22 years residing on it. His spirit is alive today and his story continues to inspire thousands to use art and adventure to make a difference whenever the opportunity arises. Bronwen Hughes pulls off a remarkable film mixing her imagination of the story into Dans own artwork. Its such an alive movie that Dans mother Kathy Eldon played a major hand in producing so it holds such raw and beautiful truth and testiment to his Safari way of life. (Not to mention the ultra talented cast embodied their characters- who were real life people- so beautifully and respectfully which is truly no easy feat.)

• Apr 14, 2018

A tear jerking and raw film. Incredible movie and should be shown everywhere

A tear jerking and raw film. Incredible movie and should be shown everywhere

• Feb 01, 2018

In the film, Dan Eldon references that there are alternative ways to get an education. Let's start that initiative by playing this film in all high school history classes across the world. Not only is there a history lesson here about the civil war that was happening in Somalia in 1993, there are lessons on passion, foreign policy, and the power of media to name a few. Watching this film in 2018 I couldn't help but see striking parallels in our society today. In the film, the UN forces are fighting enemies of hunger, disease, corruption and apartheid. In the United States alone we continue to fight racial injustice, the leading cause of death is heart disease, and although hunger isn't our problem, obesity is. The greatest lesson of all in the film is Dan's belief that people are not born hating other people. Rather, that trait is stemmed from the conditions of their environment and it is forced on them when their ignorance runs out. Also that the media has the power to change the way you think and impact political action. While this is an amazing power, it also is a good reminder, especially for youth, that the media has biases and it is important to know how to sort through quality news sources. All in all, an inspiring and eye-opening story that needs to be shared.

• Jan 23, 2018

I really enjoyed watching this film. It gives a great behind the scenes look at what was happening in the areas of conflict in Africa and the heroism of the journalist that risked their lives to tell the whole story. It's a must watch!

• Nov 07, 2017

Ben Schnetzer is charismatic and impassioned as real-life photojournalist Dan Eldon in this well-meaning but uninspired account of his life and death.

• Nov 06, 2017

The movie does not leave you - it stays with you for a few days or forever. It took Dan's mother Kathy Eldon over two decades and a lot of dedication to make this movie and turn her terrible tragedy into an empowering movement of Creative Activism. The Journey is the Destination - a manifesto of kindness, self-giving and fight for the truth - elicited a reaction in the modern activist community. Not only did it bring together thousands of talented people around the world, it also raised an array of questions that remain prime political and social topics of 2017 - from women's rights to freedom of speech. If you have not come across Dan's travel journals this movie might be your starting point - some collages are featured in the film. They seem to be one of the components that keep the picture very engaging and dynamic. Overall the movie is a pure pleasure and inspiration! I can't wait to see it on Netflix!

• Oct 24, 2017

this film was so inspiring...Dan Eldon was an amazing photo journalist and really captivates the audience! I would highly recommend this film!

• Oct 20, 2017

Was an amazing movie

Was an amazing movie

• Oct 20, 2017

I watched this beautiful film a few days ago, and I have been holding it closely in my heart, ever since. I hope I can adequately express how much it has moved me, and how it has inspired me in my own dance in this world... One of the things I deeply love about this film, is how it is held in the container of the journals of Dan Eldon. The framing of the film with the art from Dan's journals - blowing breath and life into the images within while we witness the character of Dan was making entries, was brilliant. Bronwen Hughes got it... she really got it. She understood who he was and in essence, unpacked his journal before us, showing us his soul, captured in his art, and showing us him though the medium of film - unfolding his inner and outer worlds simultaneously - extracted from the pages of his journals and the extraordinary stories that remain. Dan packed his life onto the pages of his journals - in paint, and photographs, in heart and humor. I am so grateful he left these memories, like maps of soul, for us to follow and glean who he was. Thank you, Bronwen, for the beautiful crafting of his story. Thank you Kathy, Mike & Amy - for continuing to shine Dan's light in addition to your own.

• Oct 19, 2017

We screened this film at the Fisher Theatre in Sedona this month and the response was exceptional! With comments such as, "I full-on cried at the end!" to "Wonderfully made film!" (by a filmmaker herself!), The Journey Is the Destination was a success for the theater and a hit with the audience--- sparking something within each age group. No matter how short or long life is, life is life. And life is art. Thanks to the Eldon family and the entire crew and cast for creating this and sharing Dan's journey and art with us.