The Joyless Street Reviews

• Aug 19, 2017

The 'street' word is in so many films of German cinema of the period that one can't ignore the movie-makers' obsession with the street. The film itself is stark and impressive, it's like a cold shower after fantastic instinct films; it's a curious transition from expressionism to realism, even though, of course, the German cinema of the period up until late into the 30s had never truly abandoned expressionist motifs and devices. The movie is abound with docu-style shots and scenes, realistic depiction of harsh life and striking contrasts of the time, even though at times it is heavily spiced with melodrama. This movie features the memorably stunning beauty Greta Garbo. Boy, she is beautiful. The movie's ending is curiously reminiscent of the ending of another picture of the era, 'Der Mude Tod'.

• Apr 15, 2013

Why this was packaged in the Cult Classics collection by Mill Creek Entertainment, I do not know, but I'm glad they did because this silent film is quite a treasure to stumble upon, even though it's the very short hour long version. I found it to be a beautiful and compelling silent film with an interesting story and characters as they struggle with life in post-World War I Vienna. While I wish a longer version was more widely available, it should say something about a film's quality when even in its shortest form, it's still a damn good film. If you enjoy a good silent film, you should pick up Joyless Street because it is a lost treasure waiting to be rediscovered.

• Oct 26, 2011

sometimes the drama is overloaded, but overall a good film

sometimes the drama is overloaded, but overall a good film

• Oct 26, 2011

I saw a re-cut that follows Greta's character and it is quite much different that original uncut version. Anyway it wasn't bad. Not that much of realism to say the truth: probably this version only, cause it captures all the mannerism of Greta Garbo and there is a lot of symbolism in it. I quite enjoyed it.

• Dec 19, 2010

Garbo's luminosity is apparent, but the film is relentlessly grim.

Garbo's luminosity is apparent, but the film is relentlessly grim.

• Nov 07, 2010

Ive it exist a Film that bring the 20's on a Point than it is this one Boundless Wealth Hedonism meets Poverty and Starvation a Few Group of Indivuals get rich of the Suffers of the Main Population and Greta Garbo is dazzling

• Aug 10, 2010

A very under appreciated movie. It's wonderul.

A very under appreciated movie. It's wonderul.

• Mar 15, 2010

*** (out of four) A beautifully filmed and tragic silent film that marked the screen debut of one of history's greatest stars...Great Garbo. She is less glamourous than we're used to, but she has an undeniable screen presence. It's hard to keep your eyes off her. She is the film's main attraction. Garbo and Asta Nielsen play two young women who come from respectable, but very poor familes. In order to survive and to help themselves eat, the two young women sell themselves into prostitution. Dismal and depressing, it is also quite memorable.

• Feb 11, 2010

Il film tratta la storia di due ragazze nella Vienna degli anni venti, ancora devastata dopo la Prima guerra mondiale. In questa situazione di estrema difficoltà economiche e sociali, i loro tentativi di farsi una vita non porteranno alla stessa conclusione per entrambe. [it.wikipedia.org]

• Jan 03, 2009