The Juniper Tree Reviews

• May 23, 2020

A Brothers Grimm fairy story told through a feminist lens by subverting the archetype of the "evil stepmother". Although Brothers Grimm tales were collected from Western Europe, the details are reworked to fit in the Icelandic setting. Keene is doing something here with domestic scenes: we see all of the household labor being done by the women, who also have to put up with the men's fragile egos. While it turns out the little boy was right about his new mother practicing witchcraft, the film is ambivalent about whether the spells are effective or not. A lot of the scenes show people sleeping and lying in bed, which doesn't make for riveting cinema. However, it's really neat that the interiors were historically accurate since they used rooms at Icelandic museums. There's an incredibly gorgeous scene when Bjork is wandering into the spirit world down a path with waterfalls. I admit I watched this because Bjork was in it.

• Oct 16, 2012

FINALY I HAVE THIS ONE !!

FINALY I HAVE THIS ONE !!

• Sep 04, 2011

Slow paced, black and white Icelandic movie, loosely based on the Grimm's fairy tale of The Juniper Tree, in which the evil stepmother kills the young son of her husband, puts him in her soup and lets the father eat from it. The sister finds bones in the soup and buries them under the juniper tree. Eventually the boy returns as a bird (but the last part of the tale, in which the boy has his revenge, is missing in the movie). The main attraction in this film is the younger of the two sisters, played by Björk.

• Aug 28, 2011

An Icelandic homage to just about everything in the genre, that is, other than good acting.

• Apr 25, 2011

Watched it because of DANCER IN THE DARK, huge disappointment. These were some boring ass witches.

• Sep 22, 2010

Anything with Bjork is instantly AWESOME but this movie started out painfully slow. The movie however warmed up toward the middle and revealed that there were 2 witches (that practiced some amazing old time country dweller type magic) and one was good and one was evil. I won't get into which was which. You'll have to find out for yourself! This was EVEN before the Sugar Cubes. That's hot.

• May 05, 2010

Mystical Icelandic tale (based on a story by the Brothers Grimm) of witchcraft and family intrigue shot in black & white which feels like it could have been made 40 years before its time (its cinematography is highly reminiscent of the Bergman and Dreyer masterpieces of the 50s… as is the general quiet, austere ambience of the medieval village and its simple religious folk)

• Dec 04, 2008

Pues no era la que buscaba pero esta tambien esta buena.

Pues no era la que buscaba pero esta tambien esta buena.

• Dec 02, 2008

Loved the mood & feel of it.

Loved the mood & feel of it.

• Nov 04, 2008

I love Bjork. I didn't get this movie. I don't remember enough about it. I think it was one of those lost in translation foreign films.