The Kid with a Bike - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kid with a Bike Reviews

½ October 15, 2017
Kids won't go astray for no reasons, all they need is love, care and guidance.
October 10, 2017
Really good movie that is overrated and underrated at the same time but still a great film.
June 11, 2017
Pretty half-baked, especially by the standards of the Dardennes. For most of its length it's an exercise in frustration, watching an extremely unpleasant child with no impulse control cause chaos around him and push the limits of how unlikable a protagonist can be (I'm all for unlikable characters but this is the type of child that inspires fantasies of murder in others). And then suddenly everything gets resolved and the movie ends. It's abrupt to the point of feeling unfinished. My favourite part was Renier's character treating his son like a crazy ex-girlfriend.
½ January 24, 2017
Over the course of this short film, I fell in love with it. A story of rebellion, and heartbreak between one little boy, his father and his bike. It is awesomely filmed. I loved so many little sections of this film, such as the long bike ride in the dark, as well as the final scene which had me glued to the screen in shock. Foreign films don't get better.
½ December 5, 2016
Although interesting at first, this drama is a frustrating effort that doesn't seem to have much to say, while the characters are not well constructed or developed, the conflicts seem artificial and, more annoying than anything else, the young protagonist is way too unlikable.
½ September 9, 2016
French film. Touching story of a boy who furiously refuses to believe that his father has abandoned him, and the woman who reaches out to him and accepts him despite his aggressive behavior.
August 16, 2016
Ao assumirem um compromisso de retratar seus personagens de forma realista, os irmãos Dardenne se perdem justamente ao designarem aos mesmos algumas atitudes claramente artificiais. Mesmo apesar desta grave falha (e da eventual trilha sonora), o belga O GAROTO DA BICICLETA é um bom filme e lida com questões como abandono e socialização de maneira interessante.
May 21, 2016
really powerful cause it's true to its dark corners. And the kid's good too. 400 Blows meets Bicicyle Thief. If I was an 18 year old film student again it'd probably be one of my favorites.
½ March 6, 2016
I had never seen a film by the Dardenne brothers, and now I really want to see a lot more of their films. A kid who's been abandoned by his father and lives in a state home is fostered on weekends by a hairdresser. His desperate need for affection from a father figure leads to dramatic and violent acting out, and she tries to cope. There's not a lot more to this film, but there's a kind of poetic realism at play in it that drives out a lot from a very small amount of plot. The performance they get from Thomas Doret as the boy is fairly incredible ... he really dominates the film.
½ January 24, 2016
Happy-sad, slight film of an errant boy in need of unconditional love looking for it in all the wrong places.
December 12, 2015
Very sad, but one would be hard pressed to find a better acting job by a child.
September 27, 2015
A heart-wrenching story told with charm and elegance. This is a wonderful and touching movie for pretty much everyone
September 5, 2015
Great if you want to wring your hands in pity, but while the story arc is well managed, the plot itself is unremarkable and, apart from Samantha's, the characterisations are sometimes a bit clumsy and obvious, not really bringing anything new to the genre. The kid makes a reasonable job of his acting, but his part was a bit uneven, though certainly very good at times.
½ August 25, 2015
Great film, it was a sad movie and the acting was fantastic. Storyline went well and was better then I thought it would be, almost considered giving this a 4/5 Stars. Highly recommend watching!
½ April 28, 2015
The Dardenne Brothers channel Ken Loach and Vittorio De Sica with what feels like Kes with nods to Bicycle Thieves. The Kid With a Bike may not be the equal of those towering classics, but it's a film that depicts a side to growing up rarely portrayed as honestly.
½ April 22, 2015
With an affecting look at a young boy's struggle to move on from his toxic male father-figures, the Dardenne's capture a slice of a life that is both fascinating and moving (with several nods to the iconic The Bicycle Thieves thrown in for good measure).
March 28, 2015
This coming of age drama about a somewhat uncontrollable boy includes themes of loss and abandonment, pleasing, and acceptance. It includes some heart-wrenching scenes. 1001
September 13, 2014
Harsh reality! This is what its like we also get some really fine performances as well as some pretty shocking moments. Watch it its a great movie