The King Is Alive Reviews

• Jan 30, 2011

I am sure that pissing on JJ Lee wouldn't move me as much now as it did ten years ago. So, I have to reassess my views on this shit.

• Aug 15, 2010

a soap opera in the desert .. zzzzz

a soap opera in the desert .. zzzzz

• May 10, 2010

Humans get lost in the "African" desert practicing a play while a black old man watches silently from distant. The universe's tale perhaps ?

• Nov 12, 2009

What an unpleasant and nasty little film. The film is a character study of human nature with a bunch of unappealing characters. You can hardly become involved in a film when everyone in it is a jerk. Very slow moving, but has some stunning visual moments. The acting is good.

• Sep 15, 2009

Bad Jennifer Jason Leigh!! What that women was going to her husband, with the bus driver, so pitiful. Kudos to the bus driver, for not giving in.

• Sep 13, 2009

One of the lesser known dogme films is about a group of people who get stranded in no mans land in the middle of a huge african desert. Here they rehearse King Lear to pass time, but gradually the desert gets to them and conflicts start. Variable performances by the cast and an at times dull story, but all in all worth seeing.

• Sep 13, 2009

Not a bad movie, but I have liked the other Dogme films I have seen a lot better. Good actors, but the characters are more annoying than convincing.

• Mar 19, 2009

First of all, I have to say that I had to see this film on mute and only by reading the subtitles. Even though, I found great the idea of a group of people suddenly lost in the middle of the desert and pushed into desperation and the showing of the best and the worst of them. But, at the third part of the film I felt it was all already shown and there weren't enough elements to make it interesting. It's good to watch it as the experiment it was.

• Mar 13, 2009

The writing/directing style reminded me of Hotel. In other words, a bit too artsy-fartsy for my tastes. I'd be curious to see another Dogme 95 movie though before I pass judgment on the movement.

• Feb 02, 2009