The Kings of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kings of Summer Reviews

November 5, 2015
one of my favourites
½ October 22, 2015
Smart, funny, dramatic this film basically has every genre of film in one! Throughout this movie, my emotions were all over the place, I felt like crying on a particular scene and on another scene I laughed harder than I ever have before, this entire movie changed the way I see the world and everyone it, it taught me friendship is everything and so is confidence. So I highly recommend this film to everyone who has trouble being brave and who isn't confident because after you see this movie, it's going to instantly change you.
½ October 19, 2015
A delightfully quirky coming of age tale featuring many notably funny actors in small supporting roles.
September 18, 2015
Coming of age drama with the usual amount of teenage angst aimed at the older generation. How they go about revolting and protesting is a little different.
Harlequin68
½ September 18, 2015
In "The Kings of Summer," Joe(Nick Robinson) feels virtually trapped in the house with his widowed father(Nick Offerman), with only brief reprieves from visits by his older sister Heather(Alison Brie). Joe's friend Patrick(Gabriel Basso) is little help. It's not so much his foot injury but his parents'(Megan Mullaly and Marc Evan Jackson) overreaction to such. But Joe does have an idea to free both of them which involves the local forest, with a little help from the mysterious Biaggio(Moises Arias).

"The Kings of Summer" is an evocative coming of age movie that makes a convincing argument for teenagers needing their freedom. At the same time, there is a good cast on hand, especially the adults(I think I might be finally warming up to Nick Offerman) who do not overshadow any of the youngsters. It is also so well photographed that the slow motion interludes are not annoying. But as satisfying as the movie is emotionally, it does not quite work as well on a physical level.
September 17, 2015
Lite annorlunda vänskapshistoria
½ August 28, 2015
Worst movie ever, does not make sense and has the worst story of anything DON'T EVER WATCH IT !!!!
½ August 20, 2015
A little quirky a little funny and sweet.Some very funny one liners.....a surprise left of center coming of age movie that's got a terrific sense of self.
August 19, 2015
I loved it , the message & everything
August 19, 2015
Aww, man. This was awesome. Definitely one of my favorites.
August 17, 2015
The Kings of Summer is a great coming of age tale about 3 friends who build a cabin in the middle of the woods to get away from their families. Its a story about friendship, family, falling in love and the journey of going from just a high school kid to becoming a man. The comedy aspect of the movie is great, it is a little off kilter but has plenty of memorable hilarious moments. The whole idea behind it, running away and escaping to a forest where no one can find you is great and Im sure it has crossed many peoples minds when they were younger. Watching the kids develop, find themselves and struggle with relationships as well as their life choices was great to see unfold. All of the characters contribute in a major way to the film, from the serious yet funny Nick Offerman to the crazy, weird friend played by Rico the funny kid from Hannah Montana. This isn't quiet a new age Sandlot or Stand By Me but it is very close and will provide that same general feelings and joy you get from watching those films about a group of friends.
August 3, 2015
This movie is worth 10 stars! Wow what an awesome awesome - AWESOME movie that reminded me a bit of the classic Stand By Me. One of the best I've seen in sometime!

I highly highly recommend this movie!!!
July 21, 2015
A must see, for our inner young heart...
July 20, 2015
Really enjoyed this boy movie. Stumbled across it on cable.
July 19, 2015
An engaging, interesting movie. Good for all ages. Well rounded movie. Very good acting all around.
July 13, 2015
I've seen parts of this movie
July 7, 2015
Way too distant from modern teen movies, The Kings of Summer shows with a very simple plot it's funny and dramatic.
July 6, 2015
Joe, Patrick and the eccentric and unpredictable Biaggio - who, in the ultimate act of independence, decide to spend their summer building a house in the woods and living off the land. Free from their parents' rules, their idyllic summer quickly becomes a test of friendship as each boy learns to appreciate the fact that family - whether it is the one you're born into or the one you create - is something you can't run away from.
½ June 29, 2015