The King's Speech - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King's Speech Reviews

July 3, 2016
Forgettable Oscar bait.
June 10, 2016
Fantastic, I was not expecting the humour either. Must see.
May 26, 2016
The story is predictable, but so satisfying. Acting across the board is perfect.
½ May 19, 2016
Perhaps, the most inspirational film of the decade. A thing of beauty!
May 1, 2016
This movie was great and the actors are fantastic but i am not going to see it again.
April 10, 2016
My favorite movie of all time. Colin's performance goes so well with Geoffrey's. Definitely the one I recommend the most.
April 4, 2016
Captivating story. Not sure what I like about it the most but it's great to see how 'uncurable' shortcomings can be fixed using unorthodox methods. Applies in life quite often, doesn't it?
March 31, 2016
A solid royal biopic with a fantastic performance from Geoffrey Rush.
March 12, 2016
5 stars for the acting and the direction
March 9, 2016
It starts out slow, and only gets slower, but Colin Firth brings his best to the leading role.
March 8, 2016
Highly recommend seeing this. Brilliant.
March 7, 2016
Colin Firth is mainly known for cheesy rom-coms but he sets himself apart in this film. The film is easily one of the best biopics of the last decade.
½ March 6, 2016
Enjoyable, worth seeing.
February 28, 2016
The dialogue throughout is fun and lightweight. It's extremely watchable for a drama, period piece.
February 27, 2016
A fine acting job all around, with funny and interesting dialog.
February 22, 2016
This is a great film that is well-acted, beautifully written, and makes such a character as a king relatable by giving him a friend to talk to. Powerful stuff.
February 17, 2016
Has less to do with the authencity of King George delivery of the speech, but how he got to speak so brilliant. A Time capsule of events of the hardship of a privileged king, whom has to endure not the travesty of politics of what is occurring around the world with war, but the politics of himself as a true King. When the pressure to speak to a country is our duty but has great amounting pressure, when public speaking of such grandeur with such a disability in speaking was not common. When teaching one to speak has great pressure on its own.
When speaking on the grand stage is for the professionals, masters of the theatre, perfornances, prepped to be this way and a future king whom is forced to do it by royal blood to act in that manner. Some stages are larger then others when your speaking in front of a future king. Getting to the root of the problem we need to establish. whether privileges and treatment we wish to have and not have needs to be established. when getting to the root of the problem deep down is difficult when we are too high on our privileges and right to rule the "common man" and don't care. When we are a future king to just want a quick fix to a long lasting problem.
We are brought up to follow common rituals, practices, and very traditional to accept unorthodox ways. When the essence of professionalism is ridiculed by a dictator. Suitingly, we just think we can just fit in and make adjustments to easily transition and overcome. We are brought up this way, from tradition and privilege to think it's could be the problem. When we didn't appreciate subtly to think unsubtly would be preffered. When we doubt professionals practices in comparison to hear ourselves when we speak like an idiot to hearing ourselves speak so smartly and brilliant.
When we not a man of our word, all what comes with royalty, to finding a common ground with common man, and being personal and not business at all. Striding away tradition gradually, but not striding away whom is incharge. When the professionals are told what the problem is, to the professionals accepting common authority. When taking things one step at a time, from a less grandeur stage, to unorthodox practices, improving on one minor issue at a time, not only focusing on the particular issue, but the entirety of the person doing so. Enhancing all quality, clarity, preciseness, and improving one's speech altogether.
When we are not even on the grandest stage compared to others to surcome to so much pressure amongst your own family. When trying to merge such uncommon practices with our royal duty, it would not be tolerated, we do what's best for our country by forcing down our throat the responsibilities and instant grandeur we are not prepared for.
When we could care less about the politics to put pressure on someone, or force them to be something they are not ready for, unprofessional to do so. When we lack confidence from such along time, when our family never saw us or considered us confident enough to uphold such great responsibilities, not even our predecessors. A strict upbring, a bloodline of predecessors, not much to be open with emotion and opinion, but to follow the royal duty.
When we are just brought up to say "dont" to bother to get to the root of the problem. Care more about our image, reputation, status, then other things.
When we don't know what it means to be king and fit the role, head of the establishment (God & Country).
When speech is merely an arrangement of words, and requires deep rooted passion for its essence.
When getting to the root to our disability is borderline unlawful, treason, untraditional to cross, it is the fear we rather avoid.
When times were different back then, when we focused more on word of mouth, then what we actually saw really going on. Fear lingered amongst the politicians, fear & pressure was unavoidable.
Fear of disappointment, fear of not amounting to greatness as the past.
When our speech doesn't remove what little scenes we have, we make due with what we remember, what we heard, saw thus far. The gratitude is all much appreciated, "curtsy" is only for those commoners. being gratitous for accepting the task to teach the future king is enough, when others are not gratitous for accepting the royal duty during Tumbling Times.
When fear returns, when there is no confidence is from God. we forget what we have learned. The realization of this disability being uncurable, that it's common in royalty to have an ailment known for throughout the ages. We are dualing between our own preferences vs others. Treated less like a king, but a common man with an ailment full filling a royal duty. A king is a king, when they have a voice, a loud voice, a voice that rules over the people.
When some voices much louder in hatred, we don't understand. When those whom are in charge, responsible for the safety and well being of the people are leaving, the true test of the king is how we recover and overcome. When what we hear is much more important then what we see to send the message to the people, to have confidence in our country in this time of war.
* Imagine if people saw the king deliver the speech, would they have confidence in their leaders decision making?
When the moment has come to deliver the speech to the people, when leaders are unconfident this speech would be powerful, spoken briliantly, and represent God & Country. Where great victory comes from, we are sure it comes from great leaders. Where great victory comes from, are the small wars that we are victorious in winning. Where great victory comes from, are the people that rally around the one belief that we will endure, prevail, and overcome this darkest moment in our lifetime. We spread the word, from word of mouth, to others that we will be victorious, because our king is victorious, from his speech to our speech.
We make their cause our own, we stare at the one thing that gives us strength, as we have always have, more than words and visuals can ever do for us, it lingers in our heart and mind when we march into the battlefield. Whom do we look at when we are in battle, whom do we look at when we are victorious? For the people we rule, for the royal family we pass down too, those responsible for delivering the facteous victory in battle, and those whom help us along the way become a king with a voice. Go send the word, the king has made it loud and clear, we will prevail.

"In this grave hour, perhaps the most fateful in our history, I send to every household of my peoples, both at home and overseas, this message, spoken with the same depth of feeling for each one of you as if I were able to cross your threshold and speak to you myself.
For the second time in the lives of most of us, we are at war.
Over and over again, we have tried to find a peaceful way out of the differences between ourselves and those who are now our enemies; but it has been in vain.
We have been forced into a conflict, for we are called, with our allies, to meet the challenge of a principle which, if it were to prevail, would be fatal to any civilized order in the world.
It is a principle which permits a state, in the selfish pursuit of power, to disregard its treaties and its solemn pledges, which sanctions the use of force or threat of force against the sovereignty and independence of other states.
Such a principle, stripped of all disguise, is surely the mere primitive doctrine that might is right, and if this principle were established through the world, the freedom of our own country and of the whole British Commonwealth of nations would be in danger.
But far more than this, the peoples of the world would be kept in bondage of fear, and all hopes of settled peace and of the security, of justice and liberty, among nations, would be ended.
This is the ultimate issue which confronts us. For the sake of all that we ourselves hold dear, and of the world order and peace, it is unthinkable that we should refuse to meet the challenge.
It is to this high purpose that I now call my people at home, and my peoples across the seas, who will make our cause their own.
I ask them to stand calm and firm and united in this time of trial.
The task will be hard. There may be dark days ahead, and war can no longer be confined to the battlefield, but we can only do the right as we see the right, and reverently commit our cause to God. If one and all we keep resolutely faithful to it, ready for whatever service or sacrifice it may demand, then with God's help, we shall prevail.
May He bless and keep us all."-- (The King's Speech of September 3, 1939).
½ February 17, 2016
It's the central performances of this film that make it so wonderful. Although the screenplay is great it's emotions are elicited through the characters not the storytelling and is what makes it so compelling.
February 15, 2016
THE BEST FILM OF 2010!

Originally written on January 31, 2011--
Following the death of his father, King George V (Michael Gambon), and the scandalous abdication of the throne by his older brother, King Edward VIII (Guy Pearce), "Bertie" (Colin Firth), who has struggled with a debilitating speech impediment his entire life, suddenly finds himself crowned as King George VI of England! With his country on the brink of war and in desperate need of a strong leader, his wife Elizabeth (Helena Bonham Carter), the future Queen Mother, arranges for her husband to see an eccentric speech therapist, Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush). After a rough start, the two delve into an unorthodox course of treatment and eventually form an unbreakable bond. With the support of Logue, his family, his country, and the English Prime Minister, Winston Churchill (Timothy Spall), the King will overcome his stammer and deliver one of the most incredible radio addresses of all time at a crucial moment in history! You will LOVE the story behind the story of this moment! The Best Film of 2010!
February 12, 2016
The stuttering was a distraction for me from the movie, even though I know it was an integral part.