The Land Girls Reviews

• Apr 17, 2018

This show was horr. Surely women were not this ignorant and helpless. The men were not much better. Seriously the behavior of all involved wS deplorable.

• Mar 21, 2018

Great acting but scripts treat viewers like idiots. The part I found most offensive was the the Home Guard sergeant who behaved like a police officer and/or an enlisted officer in his behaviour. Just nonsense. Home guard men were the last defense line in case of invasion. They didn't have the authority this script gives to Sergeant Whatsit. Also, Lord Hockley is a woos. Poor Nathaniel Parker!

• Nov 27, 2017

I do like this film and it is good but it's not my usual type of film. It's very conventional and easy going, but you do get drawn into it and it's characters, who are very well acted.

• Oct 15, 2016

I loved it. I watched this yesterday and could not look away.

I loved it. I watched this yesterday and could not look away.

• Feb 08, 2016

At first i went for Prue, before Stella's alroundedness took my fancy. Couldn't quite understand why any of these girls were competing for the love of a washy looking Ian Beale of a man. Stella and Joe didnt match

• Jan 25, 2014

I love films about the home front during World War II, and this was a well-made drama about three land girls each with different aspirations. It was mostly feel-good, despite the presence of bombs exploding in the background. I did feel, however, that the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more as I didn't feel like I really got to know any of the girls that well.

• Jan 23, 2014

A great love story, and tear jerker at the end. So definitely my type of film. Watched it the first time about 10 years ago, and again now on the T.V. Very good, very true how love works out that way sometimes. A 'must see' film.

• Sep 15, 2011

I love this film, set in the war, the land girls find love and lose it. Its enjoyable, fun and serious. 3 lovely ladies, for me the only downside to the movie was the fact that it didnt have a lesbian twist :)

• Jun 27, 2010

This British film is an adaptation of Angela Huth book of the same name and with a fairly good cast, I was expecting more from the film. I was surprised at the cast as I was looking at the information of this film, with Rachel Weisz and Anna Friel both on the bill, I definitely had to check it out. The film takes a look at the Woman's Land Army (WLA) during World War 2. As the men go to fight the war, the women experience a new freedom and take charge of the fields and the factory's. The film is based around 3 girls, all from different walks of life but come together under these extreme circumstances as part of the WLA and join a farm to help with growing crops and maintaining food resources. The performances were definitely what didn't let this film down. Both Friel and Weisz give great performances particularly Friel who's adds comedy and heart to her character and shined every time she was on screen. Catherine McCormack also give a fairly reasonable performance as the the main protagonist but unfortunately, nothing to right home and proves she just isn't up to the same standard as her other colleagues. Where the film is let down is with its overly fast pacing. One minute we will be seeing one of the girls fall in love, the next she's either moved on or the plot has completely driven away from it. The directing also isn't anything special and the whole film feels like a television made film just with some brilliant actors. Overall, interesting it some parts and the scene with both Friel and Weisz in the bath together is enough for me to possibly watch it again. Still, a bit disappointed but to be fair, I wasn't expecting much. So no biggie.

• Jun 26, 2010

A passable drama set on a Dorset farm in 1941, as three Land Girls - the engaged McCormack, the prim graduate Weisz, and the typically libidinous Friel - get stuck in to farm labour and wartime romantic entanglements. Despite an implausible love story and a botched ending this is still decent fare, with particular attention to the period authenticity. Weisz and Friel also display commendable comic talent in their scenes with the randy but clueless farmer's son Joe. Extra points for anyone who can work out how they filmed the scenes with the crashed Messerschmitt, which looked remarkably authentic.