The Last Black Man in San Francisco Reviews

• 1d ago

In yet another "message movie," The Last Black Man in San Francisco is merely an exercise in hopeless commiseration about gentrification and race-based class warfare. Set within the stylistic confines of a pretentious, long-winded arthouse aesthetic, the film commands the praise of the "woke" who prefer extolling the futile, faux virtues of expressed misery and anger about "their truth" over any kind of honest, constructive or self-reflective view of the social problems it claims to be shedding light on... as per usual for our Harvard-educated, man-bun donning, skinny glasses-wearing coastal social betters from the Guardian to the New York Times.

• 5d ago

Wonderfully crafted, well-paced. A real promise.

Wonderfully crafted, well-paced. A real promise.

• 5d ago

Thought Provoking. Painful. Truth telling

Thought Provoking. Painful. Truth telling

• Aug 15, 2019

The Last Black Man in San Francisco is a well made and well acted drama. Jimmie Fails is great in the lead role playing himself. Jonathan Majors was also great as his best friend. The film is very well shot by first time director Joe Talbot. The cinematography is great. The film deals with its narrative themes pretty well. You are engaged throughout. But sometimes the film can get a bit slow. And certain scenes don’t have as big of an impact as they should. Still, the technicality of it all makes it hard to ignore. Overall, this is a very well done film. I recommend this for fans of indie dramas.

KJ P Super Reviewer
    Aug 14, 2019

I've been thinking about calling A24 one of the best studios making films today, but it really hit me while watching The Last Black Man in San Francisco. This is a studio that very carefully picks their projects and more often than not, finds great material to release. I now believe they are not just one of the best, but the absolute best of the best, especially when looking at the films released by studios throughout this decade alone. This character study is one of the best films you will see this year. Jimmie (Jimmie Fails), finding it hard to cope with the fact that the house his grandfather built may be taken away from him, leaving him with nothing, takes it upon himself to find a way to hold onto it. That's the core premise of the movie and with a strong friendship between Jimmie and Montgomery as the backbone of the dramatic aspects, this is a film that places its main character front and center. With a well fleshed out character that has me engaged from start to finish, you've already won me over, but there is so much more to love and admire here.  Adam Newport-Berra is at the helm as the film's cinematographer and I truly believe this has set the standard for the year. I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't receive a nomination for his work in the coming months. On top of that, being director Joe talbot's first feature film to be released, it goes without saying that he is a filmmaker that's here to stay and I am giving an early prediction that, if not this year, there will be an awards season in the coming years that consistently rave about something he has done. The Last Black Man in San Francisco is littered with talent from top to bottom. This movie would be a technical achievement in independent cinema regardless of the material being shown on-screen, but the fact that these technical aspects are buoyed by a central performance that truly moved me was another level of special. Actor Jimmie Fails plays a character by the exact same name and there may be personal influences that helped his performance here, but a great performance is a great performance nonetheless and he delivers one of the best I've seen all year so far. In the end, The Last Black Man in San Francisco is a film that takes its time in setting up the scenarios at hand, dives deep, and eventually delivers a very touching conclusion that had me totally invested. With superb direction, camerawork that deserves many awards, a score that soothes the mind as you're watching, and a core performance that elevates the already great material, this is a film that surely can't be missed. This is one of the very best movies I've seen all year.

• Aug 14, 2019

Being a San Francisco gentrification victim myself, this film had an impact on me. The story is mostly a metaphor of emotions that are spot on with what I am going through after 25 years in the Mission Dist. I am still barely holding on here and feel like I myself have a blood connection to the city. It also seems like I have been living in a cloud, a dream world so far out of reach but still trying to hold on. LBMISF is brilliantly done. It just nails the emotions involved when getting forcefully displaced and is a very original film. Its recommended for those on both side of the gentrifiying. Only reason I give it 4.5 is because I do not think its for everyone and I think there is still much more to be told regarding the topic. Though not sure another film can do a better job at portraying the emotions one goes through when their favorite city is ripped out from under them.

• jdr
    Aug 12, 2019

Beautifully shot, but a mosaic of characters and events that don't really hang together. All the ingredients for something special, and lots of moments where you really are rooting for it to gel, but it never does.

• Aug 12, 2019

Somber, sobering, and occasionally magical realism.

Somber, sobering, and occasionally magical realism.

• Richard N
    Aug 11, 2019

Artistic. Storyline dealt with a number of such issues including gentrification and community abandonment, mental health, drug abuse and its impact on the family to name a few. Great to see this young filmmaker get his shot beyond The Sundance film festival, thanks to Brad Pitt. I certainly look forward to his next project!

• NerdAnthony