The Last Exorcism Part II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Exorcism Part II Reviews

½ April 16, 2018
The Last Exorcism was a movie that had potential to me until its sad-sack ending completely messed up everything that preceded it. Some liked the idea, I saw it as a huge waste of time and engagement (not to mention investment) I put into the previous hour. Then along comes The Last Exorcism Part 2 (lol title) that didn't excite me in any sense of the word, but had nothing better to watch that week so I hit it with two friends on a Monday night. We were the only three people in the theatre and I knew I was doomed right then. The Last Exorcism Part 2 sucked the big one. The synopsis was a good idea (the 'possessed' survivor trying to get on with her life; for those who care), but the movie's execution went about it entirely wrong from beginning to end. First off, it didn't want to focus on any themes that were brought up from the previous movie or expand on anything past the set-up of this one! The narrative, as a whole, felt completely disjointed in every way and it seemed like the film was just going from one 'scare' scene to the next without any flow behind it. What was the reason behind these satanists again? Who cares because this movie sure didn't. Without any logic as to their actions, the movie wound up making me laugh at the freaks rather than fear them. Speaking of fear; none of that to be found. Absolutely no momentum or suspense what-so-ever, instead opting for 'jump scares' every 5 freakin' minutes! Furthermore, there were ZERO elements of the horror genre to support this one's cause, no scary imagery (fake looking CG), no gore, no sex (unless you count some noises behind a wall), nothing. I can live with it if there's at least some suspense but it lacked on all fronts. And why were half of these side characters in this again? They just random ass disappeared without any follow-up as to why they existed in this. This is the first movie I've seen helmed by Ed Gass-Donnelly and it's not looking very promising. No creative shots, no suspense, no scares. NOTHING. Point and shoot. Bland as hell. Ashley Bell was the only redeeming quality this flick had. She carried an innocence and very believable show when her character was meant to be scared. Excellent performance wasted on a shitty flick. Julia Garner was very sexy and tried her best with an ambiguous performance. Again, great, but wasted. Spencer Treat Clark tried but had crap to work with. Muse Watson showed up in a small but stand-out role as the shrink. Love that guy! Whether you dug on the first flick or not, this is a huge waste of time. Doesn't respect the original and doesn't try to do anything on its own other than suck us dry of our time and money. Forget it.
½ March 4, 2018
Has a few scares, but the story isn't even close to as good as part 1. Also the ending leaves something to be desired. But overall a decent horror that isn't as bad as its ratings.
½ February 27, 2018
Not sure why the reviews are so low. It's not the very best horror movie in the world...but it's effective enough.

Plenty of decent super natural moments, decent characters, tension and thrills. With a glorious ending.
July 13, 2017
Even worse than the first. Just terrible.
September 3, 2016
It felt fairly amature throughout, however I love the ending. But the film altogether lacks a professional direction and some of the scenes lacked total creepiness, and leaves the audience confused rather than scared.
½ May 15, 2016
Though it drops the found footage aspect and tries to build a decent sense of atmosphere. This sequel to the surprisingly good original movie lacks it's frights and better yet, any sense of coherence as it just meanders along a series of random plot points that just lay down until it's terrible ending
May 14, 2016
Like many horror sequels that came before... This one failed as well
January 11, 2016
Where we go when there is so much rage and trust retreats.
November 11, 2015
Better than the original.
½ October 1, 2015
I had hoops for this since the first one was pretty effective. but in the long run I feel it owes me money for spending the time watching it. there was only jump scares, no tension and the ending was absolutely horrid.
½ September 20, 2015
I am a huge fan of possession movies but this I didn't find interesting in the least. It never really gets going and for fans of these types of movies will be left bored and disappointed. steer clear of this as it will be the most pointless 1 1/2 hours of your life
September 6, 2015
Better than the first
½ August 27, 2015
Until the final scene this is pretty much your ordinary horror movie with plenty of modern techniques most films in this genre employ.
½ August 18, 2015
Not as good as the first, but then they rarely are.
½ July 20, 2015
if you want to be terrified by an exorcism, watch "the exorcist" and not this s"*t.
June 25, 2015
I wanted this movie to be good but sadly it's horrible
May 16, 2015
possibly better than the first
½ April 8, 2015
At least it's not limited by being found-footage style like the first, but there really wasn't much reason for another Last Exorcism. The story never takes off, the characters never get interesting, and the ending is too dumb to leave a impact.
April 7, 2015
How can there be Part II of a "Last" Exorcism?
½ March 27, 2015
Terribly written, ham-fistedly directed and coming so far out of left field that it doesn't know what it's doing itself, this is a car crash of a movie. Nothing about it is scary in the least and while it begins poorly, it ends abysmally and leaves you cursing it for wasting your time watching it. Steer clear of this inane drivel and find something better. It has no saving graces whatsoever and offers nothing in the way of suspense, shocks or story. Dire.