The Last Laugh Reviews

• Jul 12, 2018

A nice exploration of comedy and the 'lines' that comedians play with. Was an interesting documentary.

• Apr 27, 2017

Brilliant humor documentary about something that isn't funny at all.

Brilliant humor documentary about something that isn't funny at all.

• Apr 22, 2017

Must see for every generation.

Must see for every generation.

• Mar 03, 2017

A brilliant and profoundly moving documentary on the limits of humor and a survivors journey of memory and life.

• Mar 02, 2017

Emotional, funny and absorbing. Memory, taboo and how we heal are explored through the lens of a Renee Firestone, an incredibly resilient and surprisingly lighthearted holocaust survivor, and top comedians including Mel Brooks, Sarah Silverman and Gilbert Gottfried. The film is heartbreaking and hilarious - a philosophical romp into how humor defines our humanity. Director Pearlstein handles the complexities deftly and with a cinematic eye. More important than ever to see.

• Oct 20, 2016

Asks the question "when can we joke about the Holocaust"? Hilarious, touching, and though-provoking.

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Oct 05, 2016

This was an enjoyable film I saw at the 2016 Chagrin Documentary Film Festival. Comedians old (Mel Brooks) and new (Sarah Silverman) talk about whether there are taboo subjects in comedy. They particularly talk about laughter related to the holocaust. In parallel to this the director interviews a mother and daughter. The mother is holocaust survivor Renee Firestone who has held onto a sense of humor and joy for life despite the horrors she experienced in her youth.