The Last Lions - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Lions Reviews

August 12, 2016
Wonderfully shot documentary about a lioness and her determination that both she and her cubs will survive the cruel wilds of Botswana.
Grade:B+
September 27, 2014
A realistic look at the difficult life of one lion trying to keep her cubs alive through fire, a threat of other predators in the area, and starvation. A bit too sad and graphic for very young kids, but good. It's kind of boring, but if you like lions, it has some nice footage. You've got to remember that lions aren't actors and that this is a very sneaky documentary with accurate and perceptive (read as: not Disney) narration and explanations, so this was probably a huge amount of editing work, combined with incredibly good luck to get the footage/shots in the first place. Buuuuut its still just rather bland.

Not recommended (Unless you love lions, but are also fine with watching lions die).
½ February 18, 2014
How fitting for Jeremy Irons (Scar from Lion King) to narrate majestically a magnificent, violent and tear jerking story of Ma di Tau "Mother of all lions"
½ December 10, 2013
I am amazed by the mother!
July 9, 2013
Amazing cinematography gripping in every way. Loved it want all my friends to watch it
June 29, 2013
Tends to get a bit preachy towards the end but it doesn't lessen what comes before it.
May 9, 2013
it makes a great mother's day story
April 29, 2013
I was fully engaged in the film until I noticed that a good portion of it is not raw, untampered footage as shot in the wild. For example, the lioness fight where Silver Eye lost her eye, was computer graphics. This particular fight scene, I've seen in other documentaries, like on Animal Planet. I'm not criticizing this too negatively because it's hard to get an animal to do as a script says unlike human actors so it makes sense that they'd have to alter it somehow in order to get it to make it presentable by making it conform to a format with a particular emotional progression form that's formulaic of this genre. Eitherway, the movie is good and well worth watching and the message is definitely one of many that humanity needs to set aside their own greed and act on in order to ensure that we can still inhabit this planet for at least a good portion of the 500 million years left before this planet's expiration date.
March 19, 2013
The Last Lions is a gorgeous documentary that emotionally tells the story of the love a mother has for her children.
February 2, 2013
As good as any N.Geographic film/tv special I've seen. Amazing footage.
February 1, 2013
Intense action movie with a compelling story. The most amazing heartfelt storyline and footage I've seen in this type of thing.
January 8, 2013
A marvel achievement of not only documentary film making but capturing these animals in such remarkable and unpredictable circumstances. It's not generic by any means and often hard to take but ultimately thrilling.
December 11, 2012
Seems a little too raw and brutal for kids, but it is an amazing story of love, loss, and perseverance. We (humans) could learn from her strength and determination. She could have let the lions kill her babies and submit to the pride from the get go, but she took the hard road, and was better for it.
December 6, 2012
My most favourite film ever! Could watch it every day! Mar di Tau the mother of lions is the most bravest living thing you'll ever see.
November 23, 2012
This is a great movie and quite insightful about whether these beautiful animals will survive the encroachment of humans or not.
November 4, 2012
Ótimo Documentário! nota 10 pra National Geographic!
October 27, 2012
Super nice Filming..
September 25, 2012
Before I watched the movie , i didn't think that wild animals have lives like ours , all i thought of back then that they hunt, eat ,sleep and mate and that's it.. it turned out that I was wrong they have lives , they have daily scenarios like ours .., i likes the part when the lioness got back to her enemies and got her revenge , i could not believe that this takes place in the wild , i enjoyed it big time
September 18, 2012
It was an amazing tale of triumph and how brutal nature can be. It was extremely emotionally heartfelt for me.