The Last Tree Reviews

• Jul 06, 2020

Love the writing and execution of this film. I was engaged from beginning to end.

• Jun 30, 2020

Enyoyable, but not nearly as good as some of the later MCU films would become.

Enyoyable, but not nearly as good as some of the later MCU films would become.

• Jun 30, 2020

While this coming of age tale tries valiantly to make a meaningful statement, its underdeveloped narrative and unresolved story threads keep it from reaching its potential greatness. The film's impressive performances (especially by lead Sam Adewunmi), superb cinematography and complementary score mesh well together, but it's unfortunate that the underlying script doesn't make use of them to best advantage. With nods to "Moonlight" and other productions, director Shola Amoo does a capable job of telling the protagonist's story, but he just can't quite pull them all together, especially in the final act. Still, the filmmaker, in his sophomore feature offering, is someone to watch in future releases, especially if he hones his writing to match the quality of the images he displays on screen.

• Jun 28, 2020

Powerful, and sad. Remarkable debut by a director who knows how to show and not always just tell.

• Jun 28, 2020

Beautifully shot. All the acting was great. Sometimes I felt it didn't give us enough dialog to help develop the characters. But I felt great after watching this movie.

• Apr 06, 2020

This film is a different version of "Moonlight": a worse version. I wasn't crazy for "Moonlight" either, so I have to say that I am pretty disappointed about this.

• Apr 04, 2020

A must see as the 'eyes' have it. No spoiler: this production is brilliant!

A must see as the 'eyes' have it. No spoiler: this production is brilliant!

• Oct 23, 2019

Beautiful, touching and relevant

Beautiful, touching and relevant

• Oct 22, 2019

A brilliant look on the societal struggles of being a young black man in impoverished London as well as the affect adoption can have on people, The Last Tree gave me shades of Moonlight, which is about the highest praise i could give to any film. The main thing Amoo brilliantly gets across is that no matter where Femi is, he always doesn't quite fit in. Before his move to London he has a stable family in his adopted mother and a reliable group of friends. The colour palette makes his rural upbringing seem golden and vibrant. Something which is instantly taken away when he's forced to move to the bleak, tough landscape of urban London. He can't be who he wants to be with his friends who relentlessly pick on a girl whom he likes and he's pressured into dealing drugs for the local dealer who gives him a false sense of security and friendship. The whole film ends at a point where we finally see Femi embracing his heritage which acts as a form of catharsis as he screams like he did back in his idyllic rural home. It's a beautifully done film with a fantastic score and brilliant performances.

• Oct 05, 2019

A film which touches on themes which are very current in the UK. The main actor is brilliant, however other cast members could've been different from your usual ‘gangster/father figure role'.