The Last Will And Testament Of Rosalind Leigh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Will And Testament Of Rosalind Leigh Reviews

August 17, 2016
Old school thriller depending more on atmosphere and mood than special effects and cheap scares. Creepy and effective.
May 23, 2016
It gets a little creepy, but goes nowhere.
April 1, 2016
Give it time. Its not mindblowing. Its not that type. But its worth your patient time. Its very internal, drawn out, dreadful, and tense. Im not sure its a horror movie but if it is, its a good one.
May 7, 2015
3 stars, only for the fact it seems the movie ran out of budget, and the last 30-20min came to a sudden close in sequence of events, which really leaves us with a confused and empty feeling after it is over. However, if you go back to watch it again, and appreciate that development, and originality... You might feel like I do, and wish this movie was redone, and extended to end properly as well as the movie was developing. I would love to see that from this movie, and if the ending was as good as the rest of the movie, I would easily give this movie a 5/5 without any question or moment to spend thinking about it.
December 1, 2014
Very interesting flick here. Quite underrated. Mostly just one character on screen and that's about it. Very minimal dialogue but it's very atmospheric and creepy. Definitely quite the experience!
October 16, 2014
You will be "metaphorically" scared. The director just has two camera settings: pan and cut. First half of the movie was so dragging I struggled to stay awake. It was only the later half that was interesting. But even then, the ending fell flat and you'll be left asking "That's it? That's what it meant?"

It's good for a laugh though. Metaphorically speaking.
½ October 14, 2014
The Last Will And Testament Of Rosalind Leigh is a very low-budget dramatic haunted house short story stretched out into a feature. Our antagonist is Aaron Poole as Leon Leigh. He's come to his mother's house, which he's just inherited. The films begins completely focusing on the atmosphere. The entire film takes place inside the house, in which you are literally surrounded by creepy, old religious artifacts.

The story slowly begins to get interesting but everything leads to dead ends and in the end, everything becomes pointless anyway. It almost makes you wonder if you've just been tricked into watching a student film. While the religious cult themes worked and the set design was brilliant, everything else seems held back by budget restraints or care. The screenplay, if there was one, was terrible but the director shows an eye for shot composition and a talent for creating an atmospheric mood.
½ October 7, 2014
"Rosalind Leigh" is a good horror movie, enough disturbing and with a touching ending. But it's maybe a little too simple to justify a 1 hour 22 minutes film. Hopefully the direction is very good, with an incredible set and a strong performance from Aaron Poole.
½ October 7, 2014
Very very sad little thought.
½ September 23, 2014
Terrible movie. Very slow and leads to a most vague and bewildering ending.
½ September 23, 2014
Lame and certainly not freighting.
July 17, 2014
I am going to pass on this for now.
½ June 16, 2014
Unfortunately, although the setting was creepy and the acting decent, the film itself fell flat in every other respect. In a horror pic, I do prefer mood over action, slow boiled tension over cheap scares, but here there was absolutely no tension whatsoever. There was nothing really at stake. I also enjoy carefully planned ambiguity, and seeing that word along with 'conceptual' in so many reviews below, I was hopeful. But the concept is poorly thrown together, very loose and without lasting impact, and there is no real ambiguity present. Questions, yes, but not ambiguity (there's a big difference between the two). In general, it felt like dime store philosophy trying to pass itself off as 'deep'. Trust me, there's no actual depth here.

The skeleton of the plot sounds intriguing: a nonbeliever, who was brought up in a torturously religious household, returns to his dead mother's icon-cluttered home. It's supposed to be about loneliness, about regret, about the distance between family members, and about whether faith is a waste of time or is grounded in the real. Instead, we get some vague clamor about a cult, some CGI creature that looks like a cross between a werewolf and Golem, and a sullen man pacing a big house making stupid decisions at every turn.

If you like your paranormal drama (it's not a horror film) to pretend to be about something without actually succeeding, then you might enjoy this film more than I did. At least it's not a gore or jump-scare based movie. But without the gore and scares (and tension and plot and honest character development), I'm not sure what would be left to find satisfying.
May 30, 2014
Read some reviews online for this one saying that it was very creepy ect. Had high hopes for it to be so but again I was disappointed in the scare dept. It was an interesting movie however. I was left wondering how to interpret the movie and I believe that means the director did many things right.
May 15, 2014
A surprisingly good chiller. Eerie, suspenseful, subtle and deep. Well written, decently acted, slow paced, and beautifully designed and shot. No cheap jump scares or blood and guts to be found here, although there is the perfect amount of camp sprinkled lightly here and there throughout. This is a highly entertaining movie which I am glad I decided to give a chance.
½ May 10, 2014
nothing happens in the movie.
March 22, 2014
The atmosphera in this film is creepy and has original elements to the horror genre.
March 18, 2014
Not my kind of horror but it kept me involved until the end. Story is unique. Musical scoring and the atmosphere are effective. That cat was too damn creepy.
½ February 8, 2014
A solidly creepy supernatural film, The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh manages to take the haunted house genre in relatively original directions that continue to amp up the chills throughout the movie.