The Laundromat Reviews

• 15h ago

I enjoyed it. Great comedic timing and the performances from the leading cast members were on point. I could have definitely done without the lecture at the end. I come to be entertained. Don't get all political on me in a movie.

• Oct 07, 2019

I did some quick research about the Panama Papers before seeing the film. It enhanced my understanding of the story. Thought provoking. Entertaining. I would like to see it again, especially to watch the ending. Pay close attention.

• Oct 06, 2019

What is WRONG with those reviewers???? This was an imaginative, well constructed, entertaining, wise and well acted film. I laughed at times, but most of all I was informed of the international money laundering that is going on right now. Well done too! OK, so lots of people want to remain in the dark, that's fine, but at least have the decency to allow a fair, justified review; one not colored with an inflated self importance based on (what?), a love for action movies, or violence for its own sake? This film is exactly what we need; a film about the economic evil of unbridled greed, given with well-illustrated examples. And did I mention that Meryl Streep was brilliant in it? Bravo.

• Oct 05, 2019

I wish I had read more reviews of this movie before going. I was surprised to see so many big name stars for an obvious B movie but I went anyway. It was just ok until the last part where Meryl Streep felt she once again needed to jam her political beliefs down our throats. Why can't Hollywood just make a good movie without politics being interjected from the very rich Hollywood elite who while living in their mansions feel the need to bash capitalism, the very thing that put them in those mansions?

• Oct 05, 2019

It was all over the place

It was all over the place

• Jonathan
    Sep 27, 2019

Awesomeness completely awesome movie.

Awesomeness completely awesome movie.

• Sep 27, 2019

Like Jojo Rabbit this film has been somewhat polarizing in the critic world. With a 50% rating on Rottentomatoes one would think this is not worth seeing but I would beg to differ. The reviews of the critics are either very pro or very con and not much in between. I found the same to be true of the critical response to Jojo Rabbit. The division comes down to whether or not you feel satire is an okay response to events that have caused great harm or are undeniably evil. Fair comment but I think one needs to be more nuanced about the message. While the Nazis who are mocked in Jojo Rabbit might rightly be called the epitome of evil the film was intended as a warning to us all about how easily populist movements like Nazism and leaders like Hitler can rise to power. In the case of The Laundromat Soderbergh has taken a satirical approach to the release of the Panama Papers that exposed a small part of the international financial structures that allow the very rich to hide their wealth and avoid taxes. The ease by which money laundering is done and tolerated was well known but the Panama Papers made it very transparent for a brief time and represented only a small part of the overall problem. I am not sure how else one can take on this story without being satirical. The docudrama approach is narrated by Jurgen Mossack and Ramon Fonseca of the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca and played by Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas. Meryl Streep is a recurring character who has been impacted by the international money laundering scheme after she is denied an insurance settlement after her husband is killed in a boating accident. She continues to pursue the people behind the scam. The reality is that this scheme has had impact on ordinary people but the real crime is tax avoidance and the impact that has on the those of us who do pay our fair share. The people who fall with the release of the Panama Papers are very wealthy or well connected politically. The film uses a series of stories about individuals to highlight the nature of the financial scams but the point at the end is that despite the revelations nothing has really been done to resolve the problem and only a handful of very wealthy people were forced to resign their jobs or suffered financial ruin. Mossack and Fonseca themselves spent only 3 months in prison for their actions and continue to do the work they always did. I thought Oldman and Banderas did a great job of putting it in our faces. The scene where they are released from prison is great satire as they mock the viewer. Personally I would take issue with the critics that say the crimes were treated lightly by this film. Satire is all we have left when nothing of substance as been done to address the issues and I was definitely left angry at the lack of reform but got to at least cheer Meryl Streep at the end. I can't tell you why I cheered or I would spoil the end but I will put myself in the positive column and urge you to see this film.