The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part Reviews

February 23, 2019
This movie is great! Since the first movie was a success, the film directors figured what everyone loved about it and made a super brick built hilarious sequel! But sadly there were some scenes where this movie go a bit too silly, yes of course it has to have a sense of silliness but there were a lot of
cheesy, silly jokes that were just a bit chilldish. I thought they learned their
mistake from The Lego Ninjago Movie but maybe weÔ(TM)re going to keep seeing this in the future Lego movies. Lets hope it gets a bit less silly. Anyway, despite the negatives, this movie showed us a great idea of a story, so I would recommend it. And the songs are also really catchy, the is this catchy song in it that will get stuck inside your head!
February 23, 2019
Over 5 years ago, The Lego Movie was built into theaters and became a critical and financial success with both adults and children alike. Now, since then we have had over 2 spinoff movies which were never as smart or mature as the first. The Lego Movie 2 continues them traits and creates a wickedly hilarious but hugely problematic follow up. However, I loved this movie far more than I thought I was going into it even though it isn't as mature, clever or sophisticated as the first and the screenplay feels uninspired when compared to its predecessor. It also isn´┐ 1/2(TM)t as well directed and that's probably due to the fact that Chris Miller and Phil Lord didn't return to direct. Overall, it lacks substance and won't change the film genre like the original did but it is a flawed but fun adventure.

Nonetheless, the real key to a film directed strongly to kids is having relatable humour and this film will entertain the socks off of younger viewers. However, I found this movie to be extremely funny and every reference or joke lands and I found myself to be more intrigued with the film as it progressed because the humour would get a lot more consistent and cohesive towards the story and, eventually, appealed more to my age demographic. Ultimately, this feature wouldn't off worked without it's strong and persistent satire due to the fact that the absurdity and jokes swept me through the film, as well as it's surprisingly pleasurous songs. But towards the end there is a twist that has great ideals but is not executed that well and that's all down to how the script handles it. The twist isn't told visually, neither over a long period of time to let the viewer digest the info; instead the picture decides to throw it into a pile of exposition that lasts for far too long, where if you miss a little bit of info, the third act may result in confusion.

Like most, after I had seen the Lego Movie back in 2014, I wanted a sequel due to how the movie ended. I was always disappointed when the studios brought out spinoffs instead of a direct sequel so now it's here, it feels underwhelming and that was because the opening failed to galvanize me. I was extremely daunted when the sequence was heavily rushed through and only lasted for about 3 minutes or so. After this, the film finishes of it's first act with a very bland and wearisome aftermath. Whilst Emmet and Batman yet again steal the show, loveable characters like Unikitty or President Business, that became fan-favourites, feel underutilized and their presence and role discern like cameos. But despite rushing through its opening, which had huge potential, and having a bland first 15 minutes, The Lego Movie 2 is a rollercoaster of a film once it's adventure begins. Even though it lacks the heart and originality of the first and isn't in the slightest as sophisticated or surprising, this movie does bring a dose of great twists, catchy songs, cleverly realistic scenarios, and jokes that make this movie one of the funniest film from recent years - flawed but fun.
½ February 23, 2019
SPOILER WARNING!!!!!

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part continues on from where the first film left us, The Duplon invading BrickBurgs, and stars the same cast which include Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Tiffany Haddish, Stephanie Beatriz, Alison Brie, Nick Offerman, Charlie Day, Maya Rudolph and Will Ferrell. This movie, I found is not as good as the first movie because the first one appealed to both children and adults, whereas this one only appeals to children. When I was looking through the reviews, people were saying that Lego Movie 2, Everything is an ad. Ignore these idiots. When I viewed in the theatre I heard people laughing most of the way through, and saying that it was a great film.

The film gives us lots and lots of brilliant humour throughout which made this film truly wonderful. The funniest character was Batman because in this film Batman said loads of references which were based on previous Batman films, and that won me over. The characters from the first like Benny, Unikitty and MetalBeard were all underused because they didn't have enough screen time and didn't make enough humour like they did in the first one, so instead we got most of the humour from The Dark Knight (Batman). A problem I have with this movie is the third act because the switch between the Legos and the human got very muddled at times so it was actually quite confusing. The other problem is that it only appeals to children, so it can be a bit childish at certain points of the film. But adults can still watch it and enjoy it.

Warner Bros yet again brings us a great villain which wasn't as good as President Business, but still a great villain. The real reason why I loved the villain was because of the unexpected plot twist with him. The villains name is Rex, and he is basically the future Emmett. Even though Rex didn't have anything to do with the main plot, his motive throughout the last half of the movie was the real side to him and the last act was when he was the villain, this I what I truly loved about this character. When I viewed this film I thought that Queen Waterva Wa'Nabi and General Mayhem were the actual villains of the movie because Emmett had a nightmare about Mamageddon happening and believe that those characters were the cause of it going to happen.

The song, catchy song was a very catchy song which people could bang their heads to. When the song was played for the first time Batman was flossing, and when he did the CGI for him was terrible. The references were one of the best parts of the movie. I very much enjoyed the sub plot between the family who had the LEGO, because that brought the film into much more depth and made it more exciting.

As being a huge Batman fan, I was able to spot all the references about Batman's previous films, and when those references came on, I laughed so hard. When Batman was singing in the background I noticed the most legendary thing ever, Heath Ledger's Joker, he is very hard to miss so you might want to watch it carefully so you are then able to spot it. I also spotted some Back to the Future references. When Rex dies, his death was like when Marty started fading at The Enchantment Under The Sea Dance, this reference is said in the movie so it is pretty easy to spot to those Back to the Future fans out there. There is another Back to the Future reference, which is about the DeLorean. When Rex talks about his backstory and says about his ship and how he made it, there is a reference about the DeLorean. I loved the Bruce Willis cameos in this especially The air vent cameo that he had because it was like Die Hard. This film even put in some hidden Chris Pratt reference in this. When Rex says that he is a Cowboy, A Raptor Trainer, and A Galaxy Defender, they all link to Chris Pratt's roles. Cowboy (The Magnificent Seven), Raptor Trainer (Jurassic World), and Galaxy Defender (Guardians Of The Galaxy). The last reference that I am going to point out is when Gandalf says about Marvel not returning their calls. I know that isn't really classed as a movie reference, but it will make Marvel Fans laugh out loud.

Overall, The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, is not as good as it predecessor, but you should still watch it so you can have a laugh at times.
February 22, 2019
Very nice! I wasn't as big of a fan of the original as most people seemed to be (the "chosen one" obvious plot and live action segments kind of doured my enjoyment of an otherwise nice film), but in the sequel those complaints are severely lessened and you've got great new additions to the cast.

I loved the exploding hearts and cute stars--the movie did a fantastic job not overusing them to the point of the audience getting tired of them, they were restricted enough so that when they did pop up it was actually FUNNY.

There are still live action segments, of course (how I wish they'd just do away with them entirely like Lego Batman did) but there isn't as much gravitas placed on those parts so it wasn't actively frustrating... and frankly, maybe I just find kids arguing and having trouble playing together with such different styles more relateable than a dad wanting to make a model city? I got behind the plot far more naturally from the getogo--and I feel like everyone at SOME point has played with a little kid and experienced that "you missed" moment of frustration.

So overall, the things that annoyed me in the first film annoyed me less in this one, cute new characters, and just as funny and colorful as the original.
February 22, 2019
It was not as painful as the first, which I abhor. I actually laughed and enjoyed watching it wity my kids.
½ February 22, 2019
not as good as the first, but good non the less
February 22, 2019
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part is a genius and hilarious movie that captures what made the first Lego movie so great. The voice cast is phenomenal with Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett and the addition of Tiffany Haddish as Queen Watevra Wa-Nabi. Phil Lord and Christopher Miller have done a wonderful job writing the movie with a marvellous story about how age differences can change a persons perspective on things and people who are close to them.
February 22, 2019
myty grandkrids loved this one!!@ i liked taking them to the theater since i never see them!@ thank you hollywood for a good time!
February 22, 2019
Not the first one but still alot of fun! Loved it :)
February 22, 2019
This was a very interesting movie. It had a lot of ups and downs along the way, but more importantly, Warner Brothers and Lego really trolled the audience, with their song "Catchy Song", with the only lyrics being "This song is gonna' get stuck inside your head" This song really sticks, and is more annoying than the original Everything is Awesome. That leads to their new song "Everything's NOT Awesome" which is less annoying and sufficiently overshadowed. This song, however, actually delivers a great message, about how when times seem grim you can still remain positive, and prevail through tough times. Then, there is the amazing and hilarious song at the end of the film, made by The Lonely Island, about how end credits are fun and important. The Lonely Island plays that song with sheer musical perfection, and also the credits are an animation masterpiece. These songs were easily one of the best parts of this film. But, there are other good aspects. One of the things that made this film stand out was acting. Chris Pratt delights as always, as the good-hearted and immature Emmett. In addition, he also performs well as Rex Dangervest, the bounty-hunter space-traveling secret villain tough-guy. Stephanie Beatriz also does a very satisfactory job as General Mayhem, the tough acting but kind-hearted Systar warrior, who just wants to help the queen achieve inter-galactic friendship. Tiffany Haddish also is amazing as the definitely not evil Queen Whatevera Wannabe, who also does great with her musical numbers. And never count out the hilarious Maya Rudolph, who comes in for the last couple of minutes, but each of those moments is comedic gold. (Stepping on Lego hurts!) Now, the plot. For the most part, it is okay. It shows the story of a childish person, whose friends- all he cares about in the world- are taken away. In the beginning, he has a vision, a foreshadow, that was very cliche. Emmett tries to save his friends, who are stuck on the Systar system. The Systar System, and it's queen, is very cliche, but at least they are aware of it. Then it is revealed that the Queen only wants to do what she wants to do for friendly reasons. She wants peace. This plot twist was slightly predictable, but Wildstyle's relationship with the plans is very interesting, as she changes her mind very quickly. On the other hand, Emmett, who doesn't realize this, and is now the bad guy because he wants to stop what's happening. Then there is a very sudden plot twist, again, very unpredictable, that leaves Rex Dangervest as the villain. This part was great on its own. Then, Dangervest is revealed to be a time-traveling future, Emmett. This part felt weird and very unnecessary. Then there is the Undar, of the Dryar system (Name points) sub-plot which was just purely redundant. But, it leads to some great moments of power and great messages, like the message of confidence and friendship. When Dangervest disappears, they get some great film reference points. But, this movie is also very enjoyable, especially for the younger audiences, and is a very thrilling ride despite the story.
From a critical standpoint, this movie is passable, to fair. But from a just watching standpoint, the film is very fun, and enjoyable.
½ February 22, 2019
Not as good as the first. just reused the same basic storyline but this time in space.
½ February 22, 2019
Lego. Oh what a wonderful set of toys it is. When the first LEGO movie came out, I was a bit in awe on how it was created. The creation and animation was just beautifully done and it provided hilarious cameos and humor. After it´┐ 1/2(TM)s success, we got the LEGO Batman movie. I enjoyed it so much more and as a whole, was stepped up a notch. I did not get the chance yet to see LEGO Ninjago, but that was because it did not initially appeal to me but after seeing this movie, I have a renewed interest to see it now. This film picks up where the first film left off with the live action sequences we were treated to at the end of the first film and it inter-cuts this into the main story. I have to say that I like how they make this universe work. Again, it´┐ 1/2(TM)s very creative. The LEGO world now looks like something out of Mad Max. Chris Pratt returns to do the lead voice of Emmet and Elizabeth Banks as the rebel without a cause, Lucy. Some of my favorite moments throughout the film are the Justice League cameos, especially Jason Mamoa doing the voice work for Aquaman. I loved the yell he does being added here. Another nice touch is a scene where Lucy is traveling through a vent and we see John McClane of Die Hard. Bruce Willis does the small bit of dialogue and thought it was hilarious. The villains this time around are ´┐ 1/2Aliens´┐ 1/2┬? from another LEGO world that want a marriage between their queen, voiced by the always funny, Tiffany Haddish. While the group captured falls into the gifts the queen wants to give, Lucy is not buying it. This leads to original music that I still can´┐ 1/2(TM)t get out of my head. The tunes are so catchy. Emmet in the meantime decides to travel to save the group and runs into Rex Dangervest. Halo video game lovers will love the suit he has on when we are first introduced to him. As the movie pedals along, we are treated to a few twists along with a meaningful ending. The third act kind of threw me for a loop at times and was actually surprised in the direction it ended up going in. The animation continues to be strong and all the voice actors add their own flavor to each character and I loved every moment that each LEGO had. Will Arnett´┐ 1/2(TM)s Batman again steals the show and I am not surprised. I will not though there is one joke in the film I thought was a little tasteless. Abraham Lincoln has a LEGO in the film and when he is about to fall into oblivion, he cracks a joke about having theater tickets. It seemed a bit morbid to me to throw a joke at a person´┐ 1/2(TM)s death. All in all, LEGO Batman still remains my favorite but this a very good sequel that is a worthy addition to the LEGO movie universe.
February 22, 2019
I'll admit that the first half of the movie was pretty boring to the point where I wanted too fall asleep (which I never have done in a theater), but it did pick up in the second half. The movie took a turn which I did not expect and that made me like it even more, but the first half really didn't feel like a Lego Movie at all. "Everything's not awesome, things can't be awesome all the time,it's an unrealistic expectation,but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.", is a good quote to describe this movie.
February 22, 2019
Insanely amazing movie, funnier than the first.
February 22, 2019
It was just boring and too annoying. Even used jokes from the 1st one. And their creative song everything is NOT awesome. Creativity!
February 22, 2019
With a convoluted plot and a hodge podge of unused characters, this film just can´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t put the pieces together that the original could. A common thing in movies now today, dubbing down the original male lead is nothing new. We see this in Ant Man and The Wasp taking a character like Scott Lang and taking any of his criminal smarts and throwing it out the window. Stil though I enjoyed the movie. This is also seen in Wreck it Ralph 2 taking any common sense away from Ralph and making him a stupid character just to drive a main plot. Now, we see it in this film. At the end of the original, Emmet, though still a very quirky character, has found some kind of maturity. In the original, when his friends were in danger, he got the wit to get back up and return to his world to save them. But yet in this film, Emmet can´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t figure out that the world is in peril and yeah, everything is not awesome. And yet when his friends are about to be abducted by an evil alien, he can´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t put up the wit to do anything. Heck, When they are being chased by an evil villain he puts on a darn turn signal? What? He´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s not that dumb. I mean come on. Not only that, but this plot is so convoluted, to the point where you don´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)t know really what´┐ 1/2 1/2(TM)s going on. If anything, this movie has more confused us to what is actually in the LEGO world and when the kids are playing with them. Toward the end, these questions are raised, as well as a very confusing ending. At one point you think the movie is over, then it is not. Then, the movie should actually be over, but yet it is not. This film also falls under the category of more appealing to girls then boys. The first film could apply to both genders mostly, with a simple plot that all kids could follow. Yet in this movie, I could see their intentions, but putting this much girly stuff in it could potentially turn some young boys off from the film. From what I could tell in my theater, the jokes in this film also didn´┐ 1/2(TM)t land as well as the first one. Majority of the jokes were intended for older teens and adults, with not too many kids getting any laugh out of it. In my opinion, the LEGO Movie 2 still has some stunning animation, some catchy songs, and some likeable characters, but with a convoluted plot and a dumbing down of our favorite character, this could potentially be confusing for young kids and is definitely not as fun of a joy ride as the other three LEGO movies.
February 22, 2019
The Lego movie 2 is a sequel and as such it could be viewed as an inferior followup to the original. But 2 is so much more than a belated sequel. I enjoyed it more than the first one. It hit all of required notes a sequel should and allowed the characters and story to grow. My young kids loved it whoch is the limus test.
February 22, 2019
By this point... I think I've had enough of The Lego Movies. These things can only go so far and I think they may have exceeded their natural life span.
½ February 22, 2019
not as good as the first, but still a highly enjoyable film for adults and children
½ February 21, 2019
A interesting movie but a very very weird plot