The Lesser Blessed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lesser Blessed Reviews

October 15, 2015
Good story, well told. Good character development, well acted.
October 7, 2015
This film has been on my list of films to see for over a year. I'm so glad I finally took the time to see it. It is so very thoughtful and deep. The character Larry is a wounded soul, but also a tender, kindred spirit. When the characters speak they say so very little, but convey so many emotions. It is beautiful and heartbreaking. Definitely worth seeing.
September 19, 2014
Watch this movie, only if for the tremendous cinematography highlighting Northern Canada. It's beautifully filmed, and up there with the best of art-house productions.
August 5, 2014
The cinematography is definitely the star here, along with the location and production design. The characters don't quite feel alive. And the writing doesn't provide much of anything compelling for them to do or say. But the details of the journey still kept my interest most of the way through. Overall, a valiant indie effort that I admire in terms of its unique setting and striving to tell an honest story in a realistic style.
February 6, 2014
Well made but not really for me. I don't really dig coming of age films.
½ January 27, 2014
Just saw Richard / Anita's filming of "the Lesser Blessed. Knowing Richard and having lived in the community where the film is set, it rings of authenticity though I could understand where others may have found the pace, especially the dialogue, a bit less than the usual Hollywood styling. There is a stoic air about the film, and the mood captures that exact time of the year when the winter has absorbed the sun, and the days are short. The complex mixture of language and culture converge in this town and sometimes led to the sorts of tensions, triangles and tragedy that film personifies. Still there is that coming of age hopefulness, which is so well presented.
½ October 7, 2013
Using novice actors in the main role of a film can be very risky, but I think it paid off in this case. The actor's awkwardness actually helped his character. Could have done without the voice-over, but it is not overbearing. The cold, drab environment matches the tone and mood of the characters very well. Benjamin Bratt's was definitely underused in this film. Even with such a meek main character, I was rooting for him to find some sort of happiness, though I felt the ending was a little rushed and messy, so the ending isn't wholly satisfying, but it's done in a way that's very much like real life.
½ September 22, 2013
Pretty intense but I thought a fairly good movie.
½ August 30, 2013
This movie is realistic, it's interesting seeing a movie that involves Native American tribes that I hadn't heard of, and a decent coming of age film...I just couldn't connect with it somehow. It's like, the story is there but if the acting was better and there were a few tweaks it could have been a lot better.
August 15, 2013
Reserve realism. Captures the feel of the book. The ending was perfect matched the book.
June 28, 2013
There is no gem to be found here- an insipid film.
½ June 27, 2013
oh boy, another high school outsider bullying movie no new tale to tell here but still watchable