The Lesser Blessed Reviews

• May 25, 2019

It is very powerful and absorbing with solid performances from the whole cast especially from Bratt and Evans. It is very emotional and the high-effort from the studios can be seen when watching this great film.

• Dec 30, 2017

Remarkable movie that is best understood if you take the time to immerse yourself in the story and really feel what is happening. I could relate to the characters.

• Oct 15, 2015

Good story, well told. Good character development, well acted.

Good story, well told. Good character development, well acted.

• Sep 19, 2014

Watch this movie, only if for the tremendous cinematography highlighting Northern Canada. It's beautifully filmed, and up there with the best of art-house productions.

• Aug 05, 2014

The cinematography is definitely the star here, along with the location and production design. The characters don't quite feel alive. And the writing doesn't provide much of anything compelling for them to do or say. But the details of the journey still kept my interest most of the way through. Overall, a valiant indie effort that I admire in terms of its unique setting and striving to tell an honest story in a realistic style.

• Feb 06, 2014

Well made but not really for me. I don't really dig coming of age films.

Well made but not really for me. I don't really dig coming of age films.

• Jan 27, 2014

Just saw Richard / Anita's filming of "the Lesser Blessed. Knowing Richard and having lived in the community where the film is set, it rings of authenticity though I could understand where others may have found the pace, especially the dialogue, a bit less than the usual Hollywood styling. There is a stoic air about the film, and the mood captures that exact time of the year when the winter has absorbed the sun, and the days are short. The complex mixture of language and culture converge in this town and sometimes led to the sorts of tensions, triangles and tragedy that film personifies. Still there is that coming of age hopefulness, which is so well presented.

• Dec 25, 2013

This film has been on my list of films to see for over a year. I'm so glad I finally took the time to see it. It is so very thoughtful and deep. The character Larry is a wounded soul, but also a tender, kindred spirit. When the characters speak they say so very little, but convey so many emotions. It is beautiful and heartbreaking. Definitely worth seeing.

• Oct 07, 2013

Using novice actors in the main role of a film can be very risky, but I think it paid off in this case. The actor's awkwardness actually helped his character. Could have done without the voice-over, but it is not overbearing. The cold, drab environment matches the tone and mood of the characters very well. Benjamin Bratt's was definitely underused in this film. Even with such a meek main character, I was rooting for him to find some sort of happiness, though I felt the ending was a little rushed and messy, so the ending isn't wholly satisfying, but it's done in a way that's very much like real life.

• Sep 22, 2013

Pretty intense but I thought a fairly good movie.

Pretty intense but I thought a fairly good movie.