The Lie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lie Reviews

½ February 5, 2016
long and boring. The moral of this story is beware what lies you tell people because they will come back and get you. Don't bother watching this movie.
½ November 24, 2013
A surprisingly great movie. Holds a tranquil yet uneasy atmosphere as the characters consistently make choices that send them careening toward disaster before realizing their own resilience as a family. A poignant statement on life and what it means to be truly satisfied.
December 19, 2012
Good acting, funny, not a bad story.
November 26, 2012
A good indie movie that delivers the message of being true to yourself.
October 19, 2012
To tell a gratuitous lie points out irresponsibility. We all have been there, right?--living a day with unfulfilled goals leading to depression untreated. Whether or not we receive special attention from others at that time being, it doesn't and won't heal until we make disclosure.
September 29, 2012
September 27, 2012--> Watched via NETFLIX...
September 13, 2012
Another good one. Very good. I think Rodd and I are on a roll.
½ July 21, 2012
Are o premisa decenta dar o omoara aiurea
½ June 27, 2012
Despite its seemingly dark premise, The Lie is a small, sweet film about a big change in a young couple's life. The film is unafraid of long conversations and they work to its advantage; providing a welcome catharsis that may take you by surprise.
June 1, 2012
slow, but good acting
May 25, 2012
I was bored and it wasn't funny. Thumbs down.
½ May 21, 2012
this was a simple, well-made, engaging film with a very romantic premise - and i don't mean romantic in the lovey-dovey sense, but just in its worldview (the idea of being in charge of your destiny and changing your life whenever you want to). it's a very attractive worldview and one that a lot of people, myself included long for. i'm just not sure i was entirely sold on how this worldview was executed in the film - first of all, the film didn't really answer any questions about HOW the characters were gonna solve their problems or fix their lives, but i suppose that's part of the charm and message of it, this whole notion of NOT knowing. the biggest problem for me in the film was in the writing - the dialogue was very realistic and well-written, but the film lacked a strong antagonistic force, or any real sense of conflict. in the film that came from the writing/dialogue - the characters always expressed exactly how they felt and exactly what they wanted to say - always when you're watching films, you want characters to just stop playing games and tell each other how they feel because that would make everything so much easier. but in a film like this, when they do, and everything becomes easier, it also becomes more boring, to the point that you don't really care. it's always the conflict, the games, the misunderstandings and the subtleties that drive the film forward and invest us in the characters. it's the tensions that build up throughout the film that make the final release so cathartic - if there's no tension, there's no climax and if there's no climax, there's no reason to care.
May 20, 2012
Ugh. A dark comedy that just sees everything go wrong for the main character. Sometimes, I feel like this could happen to me . . . just not that terrible of a lie.
April 26, 2012
A young couple, once young idealists, struggle to cope with the changes they are forced to make due to unanticipated parenthood.
½ March 31, 2012
The film relies on solid acting and relatable characters to give us a down-to-earth portrayal of human nature and young adulthood. It's simultaneously dark and light-hearted, and it deals with the potentially ridiculous premise in a realistic way.
February 21, 2012
A very good scene at the end saves this otherwise feckless slog through hipster ennui. There's meat at the center of this story - would that it had been allowed to grow organically than through such a contrived, undercooked plot.
February 14, 2012
Pretty dang slow, But with some very cute/funny parts- specifically, the song that the main character plays for his wife.
Though, it does have a nice message throughout, and an even nicer ending.
February 11, 2012
frikkin hilarious!! especially the Jess Weixler as the wife, her facial expressions were fantastic, there's one scene where she's just looking at her husband with such shock & disbelief not moving an inch or saying a peep and i was almost in tears laughing at her face. i knew she looked familiar too & only just now found out she was the lead girl in the movie Teeth, another one she had great wild expressions in. i can still see her running around saying "Vagina Dentata!" over & over again. LOL
February 3, 2012
Based on a short story by T Coraghessan Boyle, the debut feature film written and directed by Joshua Leonard (who was once, long ago, a cast member in The Blair Witch Project, is at times indie heart-warming, at others a tad frustrating. It has its heart in the right place, if that's enough.

Basically, a former stoner, tired of his life, takes a few days off work - his lie as to why he isn't in? His baby just died. You know as soon as he says it he regrets it, but the film isn't interested in seeing how Lonnie extracates himself from this situation - it is more interested in seeing how this decision causes him to change his life. The ending, pure Hollywood schmlatz, sees everything change for the better - but leaves unresolved the biggest question: how does he tell his work friends - who has been super kind and supportive - that he lied? The film shies away, ultimately making its hero a coward.

The Lie, nonetheless, was endearing, likeable, but in all just a little bit average.