The Lone Ranger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lone Ranger Reviews

February 6, 2017
Not bad, although I seem to be in a minority on this. Perhaps it's because I used to avidly watch the Lone Ranger programmes when I was young. I though it was hilarious; I didn't enjoy the inordinately long action sequences which added nothing to the story. I agree with many reviewers who have written that it's too long by about an hour. Nonetheless it's a lot of fun and it plays well on the 'Western' tropes.The final action sequence with two trains is wacky in the extreme but fun. If only it were shorter!
½ January 26, 2017
Otra película producida por Jerry Bruckheimer y dirigida por Gore Verbinski, el mismo equpo que nos trajo toda la saga de 'Piratas del Caribe', que esta vez nos traen 'El Llanero Solitario', la historia de un Ranger de Texas,, John Reid (Armie Hammer) que tendrá que usar una máscara y trabajar junto a un indio comanche llamado Toro (Johnny Depp), quien tiene su mente un poco confundida por acontecimientos del pasado. Precisamente, la historia es contada por Toro, a un pequeño niño en una feria, cuando los años ya han pasaod y la fama de las aventuras del Llanero Solitario ha crecido. Toro decidirá contarle al niño como empezó todo. Me gustó sobre todo la divertida caracterización de Toro a cargo de Johnny Depp, que siempre es interesante ver que puede hacer con un personaje nuevo. //Another movie produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Gore Verbinski, same team that worked together in "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise, this time the 'Lone Ranger' bring us the story of a Texas Ranger, John Reid (Armie Hammer) that will have to use a mask and work together with an indian, a comanche named Tonto (Johnny Depp) who's mind is a little mixed-up. The story is told by Tonto to a little kid who has heard the adventures of the Lone Ranger, and he decides to tell him how all have started. I found it funny, especially Depp's acting is always something that one can enjoy..
½ January 25, 2017
Drop 30 minutes in the edit, including the entire flashback setup and you might have had a rip roaring yarn with a few less yawns in it.
½ January 21, 2017
I just sow a kind of Jack Sparrow dress as an Indian. I had better expectations. Shame ......
January 20, 2017
loved this movie -- Johnny Depp's Tonto is a great character. Butch Cavendish is a despicable villan. The love triangle is meh, but the rest of the movie is awesome. The story from the point of view of an aged Tonto is reminiscent of Little Big Man.
January 14, 2017
Great movie, I definitely recommend.
January 4, 2017
I loved this movie. It was funny, interesting and had some action. It's one of my favorite movies.
January 2, 2017
Y que es esto? Acá todo es exagerado llegando a lo absurdo!
½ December 29, 2016
enjoyed it more than i thought i would. genuinely funny moments mostly thanks to johnny depp being cast as the native american. the horse had more of a central role than the ranger!
December 25, 2016
So good Depp is Comanche now...
½ December 13, 2016
Funny reboot with Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer. Hi ho silver away! Railroads built with wooden bridges / vuaducts. Needs to be brick like the Victorians built them in Britain.
December 11, 2016
very thin story and you've got to have a vivid imagination to believe everything, but just great fun and reminiscent of my youth!
December 11, 2016
Was bored by this one.
½ December 2, 2016
The Lone Ranger had a tremendous character set up, that ultimately was melted back into the same-ol' movie template that Hollywood demands. It's a shame this movie couldn't quite rise above that idiosyncratic dogma.

Johnny Depp's character, Tonto, had the most potential, until that familiar Hollywood template became too obvious.

I still recommend it, though.
November 18, 2016
Depp really deserves an Oscar ??
Marvelous Acting , Superb as always , Depp is the King of Hollywood!
November 17, 2016
Where do I begin? When the trailer for this film came out, I was extremely pumped. It came from the team behind the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and looked like a badass western film. What sad is that this film has all the tools for success. It takes place in the lawless frontier, it has a great cast and some of the action set-pieces, especially the climax, is so well choreographed and exciting. The problem lies in the story and characters. With a western like this, especially a Disney one, you don't need this super complex story that is over 2 hours long for it to be interesting Although, if you do want to have a super epic complex story, you better have some dynamic characters... this film does not. I love Armie Hammer and I love Johnny Depp, but they have little to no chemistry together and their comedic chops are extremely lacking. With the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Jack Sparrow, Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann all worked well together because they all had enough screen-time to build character and empathy with the audience. Here, I cannot even tell "the girl's" name in this film. Hell, I couldn't tell you anybody's name other than Tonto. That is a really bad sign that you don't even remember the main character's name. He is supposed to be this badass "Lone Ranger" but instead, we get a wimp who doesn't believe in shooting guns... Okay, who was the studio executive to let that one slide? Overall, it's watchable. For anything, admire it for its locations, production design and action set-pieces. Unfortunately, that is not enough to hold most people over. People want to like and remember the characters in their movies and we didn't get any here.
½ November 17, 2016
Considering how Disney loves reimagining origin stories such as Maleficient, they should be more than capable of applying effective satire to create a new version to alter the racist origins of the story into something fresh and dynamic. A twist could have easily been provided such as the story being previously told from the wrong perspective and then presenting the genuine (new) one. The film instead played into the outdated narrative at hand and did so with a dry dialogue through awkward delivery that all streched out to a ridiculous length. The Lone Ranger had the opprotunity to be something more and there is little excuse for failure with their budget of $225 million.
½ November 16, 2016
Vapid .. shouldn't be .. is
November 16, 2016
The Lone Ranger is bombarded by loud, over-the-top action scenes and explosions that would make Michael Bay blush.
½ November 7, 2016
Because of my slight insanity i have developed over the years, i have grown incredibly patient, and able 2 wait through almost anything, so the way too long length of the lone ranger, didnt really affect me.
I thought it was a fun, action packed, and very interesting (plot wise) movie. Although it was deffinetly WAY too long, i still liked it.