The Lone Ranger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lone Ranger Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
Desperate to recapture and recapitalise on the magic and money of his rollicking high seas franchise, Director Gore Verbinski has choreographed a film almost identical in style and energy.

Swapping the smell of salty spray and feel of heaving waves for the grittiness of desert dust and ever expanding arid emptiness, The Lone Ranger is a massively expensive adaption with all the elements of a grand adventure but without the box office or viewer acclaim.

Jarringly jumping between frenetic and tedious, modern (without even being set in today) and traditional, plastic and parody, odd couple and action heroes, comedy and drama, this film simply doesn't know what it wants to be and would have benefited greatly overall from a generous dose of editing.

For those of you who do remember the source material, I would advise not to compare, this is definitely a case of different courses for different horses. Stunts are massive and the vistas are stunning, even if they are noticeable geographically incorrect (location scouts take note - 2010's Utah does not equal 1870's wild-west Texas).

Wandering through a carnival in 1933 chewing on fresh peanuts, a young boy stops in front of a display reading "The Noble Savage". When an old man who should be a statue comes to life, the elderly fellow recounts a 60 year old yarn of unbelievable derring-do.

On train route home to Texas, straight laced Prosecutor John Reid (Armie Hammer) meets off-beat native Tonto (Johnny Depp) when they are shackled together by gun-toting hi-jacker's and left for dead on a runaway locomotive. Surviving the accident only to join a band of Rangers and play into a murderous plot, Reid is once again left of dead but can that actually work in his favour?

With the aid of tonto and his trusty white steed, Reid transforms from a man of the law, into The Lone Ranger, a legend of justice.

The epitome of chisel-jawed decency, Hammer has a likeable air but lacks screen presence, especially in contrast to his centre-kick of a side-kick, Johnny Depp. Like his most bankable character Jack Sparrow, Depp inhabits Tonoto in his usual magically eccentric part fruitcake, part genius and all crazy style.

There is glimmer of chemistry between the leads, but Depp seems to get more in reply from Reid's stunning personality ridden horse that his second-fiddle leading man.

Thankfully, the overtly colourful Helena Bonham Carter's role is rather small and her unique brand of odd is somewhat controlled even as a lethal prosthetic legged House of Sin Madam. Much like the aforementioned, the supports are all caricatures of the much-neglected western genre.

With modern influences guiding the project, there are some glaring tonal inconsistences between light-hearted humour and racially sensitive violence.

Besides being somewhat offensive to certain audiences, it highlights just how for the wrong way film making is on the political correctness scale. Backstory, historical and geographical accuracy be dammed.

The verdict: With all the negatives being said, the hi-ho silver speed of this movie is somewhat endearing and with the infectious anticipation of will they -wont they rendition of Rossini's William Tell Overture and other classic elements right there on the brink, the reluctant charm of this film seeps through into an enjoyable cinematic experience.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 12/07/2013
½ October 15, 2016
Have no idea why anyone hated on this. Think Sunday afternoon snackin on the couch in your PJs. If your a Lone Ranger fan, you might not like it. I look at it as before he was cool, and got his show on.
October 12, 2016
I freakin loved this movie. What is up with people and their crappy reviews. Crappy movies get good ratings and good movies get crappy ratings. I guess to get a good rating a movie need 100 F-bombs and tons of sexual jokes.
October 3, 2016
Terrible and the worst movie there is in movie industry
September 29, 2016
This is one of my all time favorite movies and I think you fucking critics suck at your job
September 26, 2016
I didn't grow up knowing the tv show or previous movies, but I really enjoyed it. It was a little long, but if much was cut out it wouldn't flow as well. Great and funny action movie.
½ August 23, 2016
The Lone Ranger is by far one of the worst Disney films I've seen in my entire life! I went to go see this film with my grandpa because he grew up watching the Lone Ranger tv series in the 50s. And even he hated this film! This film is also very dark at some parts. In one scene the bad guy who I forgot his name but I really don't care what his name is anyway. The bad guy goes up to a dead body and cuts the chest open of the dead body and what does he do. He takes out the dead body's heart and eats it. You heard me right, he eats a heart. This is coming from the same company that brought us FAMILY FILMS like The Little Mermaid! I hate this film! I don't recommend watching this film even if you like western films.
August 17, 2016
Best scene was the train sequence at the end :)
½ August 11, 2016
Wow, not only is it racist within minutes & also ableist, but it drags on forever. Oh but let's not forget, there's also the very important, carnivore bunnies that don't rip off Monty Python at all.
½ August 6, 2016
131221: Waited in anticipation for this film as it seemed like a long time since the last western (though it really wasn't that long - Django Unchained). Attended on opening day and even paid extra for the Dbox seats (which are not even close to being worth the extra money in my opinion). Where to start? Think I enjoyed it overall. Some neat characters, including Silver, and some cool costumes/makeup. Got to love a Schofield. Experienced some good laughs as well. However, seemed a bit long, and a bit slow at times. And, I had read there is some controversy over Depp portraying a first nations person. And, I agree. Though Depp adds some comical moments, and is his usual, unique self; I don't really see why they couldn't have obtained the same results with a true first nations actor. When the action happens it's entertaining. And when the Lone Ranger song begins, you almost feel like cheering...though that urge goes away as the song continues for so long. Anyway, decent Disney film and a western to boot. Bound to be a sequel, if not sequels.
½ August 4, 2016
Overall the action keeps the film enjoyable enough for fans of Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's plot and pacing is overall a mess. (B-)
August 2, 2016
I thought pretty solid. Not sure why everyone hated it. Wish they made a second.
½ July 29, 2016
Mildly entertaining, but pretty stupid.
July 25, 2016
What The Hell Did I just Watch?
Another Silly Depp film directed by Gore Verbinski who is better than tim burton but still shit at directing, But Not So Bad He Ruins A Movie,
It wasn't his fault that this movie was Bad!
It Was A Little funny, only laughed once but that's not much.
The film was bad and i can't believe how bad it is.
Armie Hammer's first movie i seen turns out so horribly wrong
All thanks to Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham carter being in a Gore Verbinski movie, This Reminds people of Tim Burton movies.
I saw this movie with my friend, he thought it was funny, i did too.
Even Alice In Wonderland is funnier.
I Like going to movies with friends but i don't wanna see this film again even when it comes out on DVD.

Score: 2.5/10
½ July 12, 2016
I thought this was a decent film. Not great, and sometimes boring, but overall I was good. Johnny Depp was good so I don't understand all the bad reviews he got. The story wasn't particularly well thought out or written so I think that's the biggest downfall to this film.
½ July 10, 2016
Just one of the evidences that show that Johnny Depp's presence keeps a film from being in a level of mediocrity.
June 27, 2016
not as bad as I was expecting
½ June 26, 2016
I actually thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie. The only true setback of watching is the films length. Not sure it needed to be 2.5 hours but what do you expect when it's the same director as the first three films in the pirates of the Caribbean franchise
June 15, 2016
A very good entertainment family movie I think it has many negative reviews in part because it depicts the cruelty and dark face anglos had towards native people in this new land at that time. True hurts.
½ June 15, 2016