The Lone Ranger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lone Ranger Reviews

March 3, 2016
The first time I saw this film I didn't like it ... BUT after watching it again on the small screen I saw it for what it was - a suspenseful and compelling woirk.
The dialogue between the LR and Tonto was excellent. I liked the flashbacks to keep this complicated film on track.
Both actors were good but I like Depp's character the best. Unfortunately there won't be a sequel.
March 3, 2016
Too long and drawn out.There is some entertainment and the style is good.
February 29, 2016
2016-02-29 very long and definitely a lot of artistic license in the backstory. kind of funny. very long,
February 25, 2016
Johnny depp brings alive the character again with a twist brilliant a must to watch
February 24, 2016
Very long and nothing great but I still enjoyed it
February 23, 2016
Its a misunderstood film. It went through a bunch of budget and studio problems. It also got some controversial coverage because Johnny Depp's character Tonto was a little stereotypical looking. It had so much bringing it down, yet it delivered a funny and sometimes exciting film.
February 21, 2016
Originally written August 7, 2013 -- A fun new twist on an American legend! Starring Armie Hammer as the titular Lone Ranger & Johnny Depp as Tonto, and directed by Gore Verbinski of the Pirates of the Carribean fame, this film presents a fun new twist on the origin story of the famous hero and explores the duo's efforts to subdue the immoral actions of the corrupt in the American Old West.

I liked this movie. I didn't love it, but I liked it. Many other reviewers have listed this movie's problems, and yes, there are many. But what I liked about the movie was the way the story was told - through the somewhat questionable memory of an old Indian storyteller, Tonto, to a young boy visiting a traveling Old West experience tent in 1893 San Francisco. I got the feeling while watching the movie that half of the story being told about the origins of the Lone Ranger and Tonto may or may not be the truth - and isn't that the point of a legend anyway?So, good movie, not great, but good enough to enjoy yourself for a few hours.
February 15, 2016
The action scenes were well done, and I enjoyed Johnny Depp's acting, but I didn't like the story. For instance, if you are going to native legends to raise the dead, then make the rest of the movie honour native legends - plus if they are just building a railroad, there is not going to be two parallel tracks for the dueling trains scenes at the end of the movie.
½ February 13, 2016
The Lone Ranger is one big misfire. Nothing seems to work quite right in this movie. The action scenes are boring, the jokes fall flat and the protagonist is a whiny idiot. And, no, Johnny Depp's Tonto doesn't make things any better. This is almost an entertaining film, but it's far too long and far too full of itself. This franchise should ride off into the sunset and never return.
½ February 6, 2016
It's a bit too long and a little oddball in places, but otherwise this is a fun movie with plenty of action. Parents be warned - there is a gross bit involving the main bad guy near the beginning - it only happens once and is never even referenced again so why it is even in there I do't know. Don't be like me and let bad reviews put you off watching (for 2 years!). A little bit flawed but a lot of Fun.
½ February 4, 2016
not my kind of movie
January 29, 2016
It's long, but it's fun and gets a lot of shit for being true to itself - an action-packed summer film.
½ January 27, 2016
Too long, kinda disappointed.
January 16, 2016
I went into this movie (me a child in the 50's who grew up with the Lone Ranger on radio and TV) expecting to really hate it based on everything I have been reading. But I am here to tell you that I was pleasantly surprised. Oh, they took a few liberties (what movie doesn't for example the new Superman movie?!?) but for the most part they were true to the legend, it had a great opening sequence to rival any great opening of a James Bond movie, and even though Tonto drug John Reid reluctenly into the role of the Masked Man, by the end of the movie (and when you finally hear the Lone Ranger music and they go into action it brings a warm feeling of satisfaction) you can see the Lone Ranger and Tonto actually being the Lone Ranger and Tonto as we expect them to be in the sequel. Unfortunaely and thanks to many "profesional critics" who seem to know what is good and what isn't, I don't think there will be a sequel. That is unfortunate.
January 7, 2016
couldn't even sit through the whole thing. poor writing. Johnny Depp as Tonto? what a mistake...
½ January 5, 2016
You often find films are slated by reviewers are they're not actually that bad. John Carter is a prime example, it was slated, and yet it isn't a bad film, it's not a classic of course but it's certainly enjoyable.

You could be forgiven therefore for thinking that just because The Lone Ranger had bad reviews it isn't actually that bad. You'd be wrong.

Firstly it is monstrously long, unnecessarily long. It could have easily, easily, have lost an hour of running time. In fact, it probably would have been a much better film if it had done.

Johnny Depp is very good of course at what he is asked to do, the problem is what he is asked to do isn't actually all that good. He is given lots of one liners, and why not that worked very well when he played Captain Jack, but it doesn't work here, in no small part due to the fact the one liners aren't actually that funny.

One example, a horse dies, and he proclaims "Horse dead". I am sure the 8 year olds in the audience chuckled. But I didn't.

The film also keeps jumping forward in time to show us very old Tonto in 1933 reciting the story of the film we are watching to small boy. I have no idea why, it was cute the first couple of times but after that it just got bloody annoying, it kept interrupting the film, and what was worse, it did so totally unnecessary. The whole old Tonto relating the story thing was utterly pointless. It just served to annoy, and add to the already bloated running time.

The plot is a complete nonsensical mess, it's as if someone dropped the script and when they picked it up the pages were no longer in the right order, but instead of sorting it put they just filmed it as it was. The CGI ending is ludicrous, and there is no charm or warmth to any of the characters except Helena Bohnem Carters, and she's only in it for five minutes.

You have to wonder as well why anyone would want to resurrect a character that has at best only limited appeal. The Lone Ranger, I mean really in this day and age? Kids want to be Spiderman, they want to be Pirates, they want to Dr Who.

Who wants to be The Lone Ranger?
January 2, 2016
Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, it had the possibility to be much more but didn't quite reach it. Depp was great and I liked Hammer, the beginning and ending were the best parts.
January 2, 2016
I wanted to watch this movie because I wanted to see Johnny Depp. I had heard his role was controversial but also that he had researched history. I was actually amazed at the whole tenure of the story, the respect for Native Americans, etc. Good, good movie. I'm sorry more people did not see it or like it.
½ January 2, 2016
I wish this movie didn't have so many scenes with Tonto. The Lone Ranger is the title of the movie, so it should have more of the Lone Ranger in it. It is not a movie I would see again.
January 2, 2016
If Gore Verbinski wasn't directing this, I wouldn't be looking forward to it. But he is. So I am.