The Lone Ranger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lone Ranger Reviews

June 27, 2016
not as bad as I was expecting
½ June 26, 2016
I actually thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie. The only true setback of watching is the films length. Not sure it needed to be 2.5 hours but what do you expect when it's the same director as the first three films in the pirates of the Caribbean franchise
June 15, 2016
A very good entertainment family movie I think it has many negative reviews in part because it depicts the cruelty and dark face anglos had towards native people in this new land at that time. True hurts.
½ June 15, 2016
Adventure dosen't come that familiar! Better call it Pirates of the West
June 7, 2016
I liked this immensely, Johnny Depp plays a funny and likable character, assisted in that plight by Mr Hammer.
June 2, 2016
The Lone Ranger is a bit of a mixed bag. There's a lot of admirable aspects in this film, and when they work, they really elevate the movie. Armies Hammer is actually a pretty solid lead as the Lone Ranger, despite his characterization being a little wonky at times. Johnny Depp is up to his painted face and goofy mannerism antics again, and despite being pretty derivative to his other roles (not to mention the fact that he's a white actor playing a Native American), he's never truly bad. The infamous inflated budget is put to good use, with lots of beautiful production values. The cinematography is often quite beautiful, and the practical sets and costumes are pleasant and add to the setting. All of these things culminate in a bombastic climax with just the right blend of action and humor, all while blaring Hans Zimmer's ten minute take of the famous overture. The film might just be worth sitting through for that scene alone.

It's the narrative where things fall apart though. The climax may balance humor and dramatic moments nicely, but the rest of the film struggles in that regard. Gore Verbinski can't seem to decide if this is a serious western with fantastical elements or a swashbuckling comedy. Considering his work on the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which balanced these two things nicely, it's kind of bizarre that he can't nail down a solid tone in The Lone Ranger. The idea of telling this story ultimately through flashbacks of an elderly Tonto is unnecessary, and really adds nothing to the movie: this story is perfectly fine without it. Also unnecessary is its two and a half hour runtime, which really drags during the less exciting moments of the film. An easy half an hour (at least) could've been shaved and given this one some stronger pacing.

The box office returns may imply a trainwreck (no pun intended), but The Lone Ranger isn't all that bad. In spite of its narrative and pacing issues, there's a lot of fun to be had here, and anyone willing to go into the movie without expecting a western classic will likely be entertained.
June 2, 2016
Fun Movie, Light Comedy not to be taken too seriously. Enjoy the ride.
June 1, 2016
Great action and humour. A good mix of two. Even though it's not Oscar worthy, it's still a great action and adventure film. Suspense, violence, humour, and a good time. It should have received better reviews and box office results than it did. A great film.
½ May 30, 2016
This movie is NOT meant to be a cinematic marvel. It is supposed to entertain; that it does, and does well. Depp's Tonto is hilarious. If another is made, I'll be watching.
May 29, 2016
No entiendo porque tantas criticas negativas... La película no es perfecta, pero es super entretenida, la primera hora es brillante, las secuencias son geniales, la hora y media que resta después tiene sus fallos, pero no son horribles, y la secuencia final del tren pff... increíble. No juzguen ni se dejen llevar por las criticas sin antes de ver (ese fue mi error).
May 22, 2016
This movie is a hands-down TEN STARS and THE MOST-ENJOYABLE movie experience I've had in years.
May 21, 2016
Based on it's Bland Script, Bland Acting, Improper Character Development, Little-To-No Action And Uninspiring Story, The Lone Ranger is the movie that will put Hollywood to shame for centuries in the future to come.
½ May 11, 2016
I have to admit, I enjoyed this movie. This movie has a couple of flaws but to me it was ok. To me this movie doesn't really stay true to its original source but this movie was still ok to watch. This movie definitely could've been better but it's too late now. This movie will get a B-.
½ May 2, 2016
Way too long with way too many flaws. Johnny Depp tries his best to make this movie his own, and falls hard in this Disney joke of a film theyll want you to forget.
½ May 1, 2016
This is one entertaining movie, doesn't deserve the hate
April 22, 2016
Johnny Depp really knows how to play the roll of an odd character. Tonto is the only good thing going for the Lone Ranger. Other than that it is just a linear action adventure.
½ April 17, 2016
Underrated -- I liked it.
½ April 12, 2016
While beautifully filmed and with great effects, this remake of the classic TV show suffers from a really long first act. Shortened by about 20 minutes this would have been a much leaner film. It also does not always find the right tone between its silliness and the violence. The great and fun showdown redeems some of that. If only the film had more of that over the top comic action.
April 9, 2016
WOW - How did they so thoroughly screw up a classic.
April 3, 2016
I liked it but waited to see it on TV. Not a theater movie but entertaining enough.