The Loneliest Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Loneliest Planet Reviews

½ December 26, 2013
I thought something much more exciting was going to happen after seeing the trailer, but the "incident" was very thought-provoking if brief. There are only three short occurences in the movie that grab your attention but besides the great cinematography I found myself waiting and waiting for something extremely dramatic to happen (it didn't) to compensate for the lengthy shots of them walking, walking, removing a stone from a shoe, walking, filling up water, walking, walking, practicing spanish, walking. All in all, pretty boring but nice to look at and a good "what would you do?" talking point.
December 25, 2013
The Loneliest Planet is a peculiar and utterly fascinating art house drama. Everything people seem to hate about this film, I love about it. I loved how every interaction and every emotion was about subtlety and trying to interpret what the characters were thinking during their backpacking excursion through the Georgian wilderness. I also loved how it was both a fascinating character study and also an interesting piece about relationships and how a single event can slowly tear apart that relationship. Many people don't like this film because they complain that there is too much wandering through the wilderness along with many long scenes, but I didn't mind at all. In fact, I felt that it added value and an evocative feel to it. The direction itself by Julia Loktev is superb, especially with her many beautiful shots of the stunning Georgian wilderness and how she commands the trio of actors. It's a film in which every scene, every interaction, even every little thing seems to have a level of importance and must be analyzed by the viewer. While many others found it horribly boring, I found myself engrossed in the story as the characters struggle with their inner conflicts while wandering the vast, beautiful, but eerie and lonely wilderness that surrounds them. It's a film that not only made me ponder about what it had to say, but it continued to make me think even after it was over. It's a drama that I will no doubt view many more times in the future as it is one that I will truly never forget. Unless you really enjoy slow moving art house films that are all about subtlety and interpretation, The Loneliest Planet will bore you to tears and it's definitely not a film that I would recommend to most people. For me, it is a superb film and one of the best dramas I've ever seen.
December 19, 2013
Why is it the loneliest planet? You won't find out by watching this movie...
December 19, 2013
While stylistically similar to Van Sant's death trilogy, it doesn't quite manage to reach the hypnotic majesty of something like Gerry. It is, however, extremely beautiful, and extremely painful to watch.
December 18, 2013
I just don't get the story, just fragments of naked breastless woman jumping around, and her taking a piss caught in my memory. Beautiful landscape? I have better wallpapers for my desktop.
½ November 17, 2013
Beautiful film, and background, but is it a good film? Not really! I think it showed a couple who have problems but yet unwilling to talk about it, instead just hide from it.
½ November 9, 2013
I love Gael and his work. Love artistic and alternative movies. Love off the beaten path storylines and yet I snored halfway this movie and couldn't finish it. Bummer :(
October 13, 2013
aloof and splendid Georgian mountains. People seem real, strong but broken with bitter life. what of adventure for tourists is the life long reality for local people. I enjoyed the movie. till the end I was waiting for some cutting moment. Had a feeling of emptiness but was really impressed. good job of director and actors as well.
½ October 11, 2013
I get what the movie had to say about human connections...but unless you have a hankering for mountain wilderness cinematography, skip it.
½ September 27, 2013
Picturesque. Great Visuals. One of the most brutal to watch films I've ever seen. Very boring. Awful pacing.
½ September 21, 2013
Stopped watching before whatever was meant to happen, happened. It was so boring, don't waste your time or money.
September 11, 2013
This film pits the fans of long, meticulous takes against those who prefer more dialogue and plot in their movies. The scenery is gorgeous, the scenes are artistic, and the tension is palpable. In the end, it's a film that dissects a relationship before and after a traumatic experience, asking the audience to be close-up spectators of the experience.
½ September 10, 2013
Over-hyped romantic mush (which I could normally enjoy except in this case - just a bit too melodramatic on the emotional stuff and sympathy "I'm lonely" kind of story line). Overall? If you have nothing better to watch, I'd say OK. Otherwise? Pass.
½ August 22, 2013
Oh, there will certainly be blood marked against "The Loneliest Planet" from audiences wanting the perfect getaway of Alex (Gael Garcia Bernal) and Nica (Hani Furstenberg) -- visiting Georgia the summer before getting hitched -- to come attached with more, preferably pulpier strings. Praise Julia Loktev's film all you'd like -- poignant, original, shockingly cognizant -- it's not for everybody. Hold on; I never said worthless. It's tough not to read into this art house wanderlust of pastoral imagery concerning the pain of passage, instinct, and what it means to be human, especially with two actors at the helm who couldn't be more open and engaged. Sleepy but never bored, one could call "The Loneliest Planet"; alive with the kind of kick you get from dreams where the water's too cold or distant mountain too high. But something's definitely up.

What gives the second half of this movie its honesty, darkness and gritty charm is a moment-long hot flash that seems like forever, because it's the first time Alex and Nica shot together has a joint feeling of watching two naked people scared and alone left to their own devices. It's some of the most quietly devastating film 2012 can shake a stick at, in a beautifully realized work that should be noted and appreciated both for its narrative invention and reflection on the difficulty of relationships. "The Loneliest Planet" brims dizzily with idea and understanding -- unforgettable, irreversible, and that haunts like no other.
August 17, 2013
The stunning photography of the Caucasus and the stark sound design only adds to the sense of isolation in this meditation on...silence? Distance? The unknown? There's that moment that, upon reflection, forces Nica and Alex to realize that we never really know everything in someone else's head, and that those instinctual impulses can't be over-written by chivalry or civilization. Warning: This film is very deliberately paced and nearly silent.
½ August 5, 2013
I am shocked at the critical acclaim for this movie. It actually took the grand prize at some festival. There is no story, and it compensates by including stretches of dead time watching people walk which are so excruciatingly patient, it makes Van Sant look like Michael Bay. The scenery is breathtaking, but that is all this film offers. This is bad art, and represents a sad state of affairs for serious film making if this is what is held up high.
July 29, 2013
Too "artsy", contrived and full of itself. Unsympathetic and boring characters.
July 27, 2013
Mucho viaje poca historia
½ July 25, 2013
Captivating performances and amazing script. It delivers.
July 23, 2013
This is going to be a pass for me.