The Loneliest Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Loneliest Planet Reviews

July 16, 2013
Why should I watch such a movie? What did it want to tell me? what is the message? The story is so normal, it happened many times to me, both in trekking (also in my country) or just walking around in foreigners country... so? Then it's so damned slow!!!! I could have watched a mountain documentary and enjoyed more!!!
July 8, 2013
Great scenery but the plot was too weak. Felt like 50% longer.
July 6, 2013
This is an odd movie where not much really happens. There are lots of long tracking shots and very little background or payoff.
July 4, 2013
Sounds intriguing...
June 30, 2013
"The Loneliest Planet" is a fascinating sleeper that I'm very glad I took a chance on. This is a haunting film about an American couple who go on a picturesque hike in the country of Georgia. Along way, something happens which I will not reveal. It happens in the blink of an eye (it's so fast you might miss it if you turn away), and it completely changes the dynamic of the film, the characters, and their relationships to one another. It's at this point that "The Loneliest Planet" turns from a pleasant but somewhat uneventful indie something quite interesting and ultimately pretty unforgettable. Masculinity, guilt, gender, and many other subtextual themes play out here in a very unconventional and disquieting way. The film is aided immensely by some absolutely stunning cinematography and majestic scenery. The mountains of Georgia feel immense and overpowering, and feel even more so when the story takes a drastic turn and things get weird. Throw in a great score and you have one of the best under-the-radar movies I've seen recently. I feel like I'll definitely be revisiting "The Loneliest Planet" in the future.
½ June 16, 2013
This could have been a successful short movie, or a nature documentary: the incident at the heart of the story is life-changing; the Georgian mountains are beautiful. Instead, it tries to combine the two, being successful at neither. The dramatic tension created by the incident in the middle of the movie cannot sustain the canopy of the whole, making it flap in the wind with no real purpose.
½ June 11, 2013
I think its a great movie and I could watch it over and over.
June 9, 2013
This film made me want to find the loneliest planet just for something to do. Godawful slow pacing and weirdo characters I could care less about. Big disappointment. Sometimes these lesser known artsy films surprise--how pretentious they can really be. Minimalism is most usually over done. That's the case here.
June 9, 2013
Don't waste your time.
May 31, 2013
I see why the reviews were mixed. Its a thought-provoking movie and the lack of dialogue could be problematic. But then film maker want to make you think
May 24, 2013
Not what I expected. Beautiful and very real.
May 19, 2013
what an awesome silent movie. kept me thinking thinking and thinking. From time to time i remember some scenes and everything becomes so clear. Brilliantly made movie. brilliant.
½ May 17, 2013
I wanted to like this film. But the story did not move along quickly enough for me. An hour of establishing the character's relationship, as well as voyeuristic, obsessive close-up shots of Hani Furstenberg's panties and hair, as well as a tense build-up that could only be leading to explosive violence, made me want to turn it off before the half-way point. The landscape shots were really great though, and showcased an area of Europe I have never seen.
½ May 3, 2013
needed major editing
½ April 30, 2013
This is actually one of the least entertaining films I've ever had the patience to sit through. Perhaps as a short film (10 Min of actual footage) instead of real time purposeful artistic strolls across the vast landscape there may be an actual story line or recognizable event.
The opening scene with the soapy naked jumping on the bed bath sort of sets the stage that likely the Director feels like the loneliest man alive and is just dying to share.
½ April 28, 2013
Muy densa, vi 25 minutos y me pareció un aburrimiento total!!!!
April 9, 2013
does anyone know what the old man was saying when he held the gun to Alex's head? I really need to know
April 6, 2013
I'm quite open minded with movies but this movie was just boring. The scenery was amazing though but thats about it, the dialogue and the long silence was plain awkward. Specially that one scene, were it all begins with the local people. In real life he would have gotten a slap in the head, but because its trying to get its point across the silence was a must. The ending, was just pointless and the trailer doesn't even make sense with the movie either.
½ April 5, 2013
I'm convinced that people only give this movie are going out of their way to know that they weren't the only one who wasted 113 minutes of their lives. There are those who suffered and those who haven't yet.

I'm all for a good artistic and clever film... but this is nothing more than slow paced crap.