The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Reviews

April 22, 2017
Epic conclusion to the best trilogy I have laid my eyes upon and that is despite the obvious flaws as the cohesive whole that the trilogy brings together is something to behold. This third and final entry in the series is the best of the bunch as it actually has a satisfying conclusion and doesn't feel open ended which quite frankly were my only major issues with the previous two. The cast is great, the production is once again on top form, the battle scenes are epic in scope with the action being thrilling and quite terrifying at times, the score is even more bombastic and emotional than before and the script convincingly ties all the lose ends together with a mix of triumph, emotion and farewells.
April 22, 2017
Amazing ending for a fantastic trilogy! Enough said.
April 15, 2017
While there are multiple endings to this film, Return of the King is still a wonderful conclusion to one of the greatest film trilogy's of all time.
April 15, 2017
What an epic conclusion to an epic story.
April 14, 2017
Brilliant film, a touching end to an epic trilogy, with many Oscar worthy performances from the talented cast
April 10, 2017
Return of the King is the epic conclusion to the epic trilogy, full of breathtaking visual effects and epic battles and moments.
April 9, 2017
Such a cool fantasy movie. Action-packed, but it's not just a dumb action flick. Smart, fun, serious, and engaging. Long, but worth sitting through. Definitely.
April 8, 2017
The epic conclusion to a great trilogy.
April 3, 2017
An exciting finale to one of the greatest trilogies of all time. The Return of the King is a marvel of cinema, and proves that the final film in the trilogy can be the best one. A fitting end of all things that occurred in the wondrous and exciting world of Middle Earth. The only downside to this movie is that this is the end, and we have to say goodbye to a cast of characters that brought the story to life, and made us all want to live in their world.
March 30, 2017
An exhilarating experience, full of feeling that is enhanced by battle scenes, again special effects and characters that have been handled in a great way.
Jackson concludes his opus magnum in a perfect way, giving a great adaptation to the cinema to the work of Tolkien.
March 27, 2017
Epic! Beautiful! Deep! Meaningful! Heart Wrenching! Up lifting! Amazing!
March 23, 2017
The worst of the trilogy, Although a lot happens, it somehow feels like it has been spread too thin to fill up the time, like... butter over too much bread. Much of the blame can be placed on Tolkein. Not very charming.
March 20, 2017
Everything that worked best from both the previous instalments is present in this final chapter, making it the most satisfying to watch. Even though 'Clerks II' provides a very simple yet truthful summing up of the trilogy, 'Lord Of The Rings' is essential viewing for film lovers, & is the modern-day equivalent of the 'Star Wars' trilogy.
March 17, 2017
This is by far, one of the best movies ever in my opinion.
March 4, 2017
Emotional, powerful and fantastic visual effects. The third part of the Lord of the Rings-Trilogy directed by Peter Jackson is my favourite movie of all time !
March 4, 2017
The Return of Inspiration

Firstly, this is a review of the final third installment of the The Lord of The Rings trilogy. If you have not seen both The Fellowship of The Ring and The Two Towers, stop right now and go watch those, then come back and read this review. The Return of The King is not only a masterpiece but a historical landmark in the world of filmmaking. The Film was accredited with eleven Oscars, tying it with Titanic as the film with the Most Academy Awards for any film in history. Any typical fantasy depicting the theme of "the greater good" has historically been plagued with coming off as hoaky or cringeworthy at best. This story has earned its place as one of the greatest allegories of greater good vs evil because of the various scenes showing mankind's struggle between good and evil. Remember, this is a story that follows imperfect people pushing for the greater good.

At the conclusion of the previous film we came to understand the overall theme in this story, that "there is some good in this world.... and it's worth fighting for." This is important to keep in mind, because in the final film, shit is going to get out of hand. This is the first film where we meet Denethor, the Steward of The Kingdom of Gondor as well as Boromir and Faramir's Father. Denethor is a tragic character. Although he has good intentions, Denethor is unable to cope with the loss of his eldest son, Boromir. Being stricken with bitter grief and resentment, Denethor sends Faramir to a grim unnecessary and unwinnable battle. When he sees that Gondor is surrounded by enemies and that Rohan has not come to their aide, Denethor bellows to his people "Flee for your lives!" In the end, his fate is sealed when he abandons all hope completely.

Then comes King Denethor's foil, King Theoden. Theoden and the Rohirrim look on the ensuing battle, there is a seemingly endless number of orcs in the valley below. Initially you can feel the shock and terror by the expressions of characters when they first see the great host. King Theoden imparts his courage to the Rohirrim as they exclaim "Death!" to their enemies. So as to say, "We know this is where we die. Not only do we accept it. We will embrace it. We will not die in fear, we will fight until our last breath goes out like a candle in the wind." King Theoden, however is slain in battle by the Witch-King. Even though he failed to make it through the battle alive, he died with an air of contentment. He was worthy of remembrance and died with honor and glory. His final words show his readiness to die, "I go now to my Fathers. In whose mighty company I shall not feel ashamed." These two characters contrast each other, showing us that holding onto hope can mean the difference between a miserable or a fulfilled life.

Life and Death is one of the most compelling themes that this Movie serves to its viewers. There comes a point to where Pippin and Gandalf are awaiting the enemies to break down the gate where they're at. It's quiet. Pippin tearfully says, "I didn't think it would end this way." But Gandalf, having experienced death himself is able to comfort the little Hobbit. He explains, that death is a path that everyone must experience but the journey doesn't end there. There will come a moment when we will see "white shores and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise." Pippin is relieved and smiles, saying "Well, that doesn't sound so bad." Gandalf's beautiful words motivate us to embrace death simply as the next great journey.

The absolute best moment of this entire trilogy comes when Frodo and Sam are climbing Mount Doom and Frodo's body has gotten so fatigued that he can't go on any longer. Sam tries to comfort him with memories of home. Frodo is so broken at this point that he reveals he doesn't recall the taste of food, the feel of grass on his feet or even the feel of the wind on his face. Sam is the very embodiment of goodness here. He cries "Then let us be rid of it! Come on Mr. Frodo! I can't carry it for you! But I can carry you!" Sam throws Frodo over his shoulder and carries him up the mountain. But even the best of moments can fail as moments later Frodo would betray Sam. As Frodo contemplates throwing the ring into the fire, his will is finally broken and he succumbs to the Ring. After everything that has been sacrificed for this cause, Frodo chooses to keep the ring for himself.

In conclusion, this film is more than meets the eye. Historically it has become the very movie that officially launched "nerd" culture into the mainstream. This is the least hoaky or phony film that I am aware of. The way it was written, shot, directed, composed and acted has made a lasting effect on audiences around the world and on myself. The resulting effect on me has been the deep desire to be faithful and hold onto hope of the good in life. In the end, this film has earned its place among the greatest films in history and absolutely earned every single last award it won.
½ February 28, 2017
It's the greatest final entry of any trilogy in cinema.
February 26, 2017
This is the grandest and busiest of the trilogy, but the ending suffers from a bit of over-explaining. Overall, a very satisfying end to the trilogy.
February 26, 2017
There isn't a flaw I can find in this film. It takes the best of the first two, finds the problems (such as some drag in the length), solves them and sleeks the result into a near-perfect film.