The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Reviews

November 10, 2018
This is my review as an adaptation of the book. As an adaptation, this SUCKS!!!! They butchered the book. However, on it's own, I would give it 4-4.5.
November 10, 2018
Completed the perfect trilogy in the perfect way. Great battle scenes, suspense and a bit of everything that made the trilogy so successful.
November 5, 2018
The movie of never ending endings, I actually like it.
November 4, 2018
An epic conclusion to the saga that treated fantasy fiction like any ancient history film. The biggest problem I had with the film was its lack of sacrifice along the way, I don't feel the journey was the risk that they made it to be. Peter Jackson tends to lag along the way with the third installment but it had the unfortunate task of wrapping up nine hours worth of storytelling. The last version I watched is the extended cut and this concludes the trilogy I have reviewed over the last few week. I will say if you haven't seen the cinematic versions, skip them and watch the longer cuts. The film has that old epic feeling and if this book had not been adapted all those years ago, it would be a Tv series as many fantasy books are now going straight to the Tv audience which is unfortunate. This franchise was amazing and only thanks to Peter Jackson who treasts the source material like a loyal fan. Great fantasy filmmaking. 03/11/2018.
October 15, 2018
Spectacle, one of my favourite films of all time, favourite film in the saga/story.
October 13, 2018
What a thrilling conclusion to LOTR.
October 13, 2018
Greatest Movie I've Ever Witnessed.
October 12, 2018
They all should know already they should make another movie where Sam starts his journey that's the whole reason why Mr. Frodo gave him them last pages of the book
October 11, 2018
My favorite of the LOTRs series. A must see.
September 23, 2018
So creepy and sad to see the transformation of Gollum and how he came to be. I mean to kill your own brother. That's just dark. I see the special effects keep getting better with each movie. Any scene with Pippin is straight cringe. God damn those hobbits are a couple of corny ass mothers. Gollum is particularly funny in this one.

It's so upsetting to see how that one king loved his son Boromir but loathes his other son. Wow. That scene with the king eating like a pig, his son and the soldiers charging towards their death, and Pippin singing was iconic. That was masterfully done.

All the dead army scenes were amazing. What an amazing feeling that would be to have a ghost army as your ally fighting by your side. That battle scene was crazy! That one orc that comes out on horse from the gate was one ugly motherfucker.

I can see why this movie is regarded as the best of the three and is seen as one of the best movies made. It's supremely epic in scale. The plot thickens and gets better and better as time goes by. What's great about this one is that there's a lot of character development going on. You really get to see everyone's true potential. Even the little hobbits.
September 21, 2018
My least favorite movie of my absolute favorite series. Return of the King simply doesn't feel the same as the previous two films. The soundtrack sounds compressed and the CGI is both more abundant and of lesser quality. Many people complain about the length and pacing, but I say compare them to the popular super hero movies today and the point becomes invalid.
The trilogy is overall fantastic, and Return of the King is a great conclusion.
September 10, 2018
Epic, tense, and emotional... the perfect ending to a beloved franchise.
September 8, 2018
a fantastic end to the trilogy
September 5, 2018
Un broche de oro para una pelÝcula que mereciˇ con creces el oscar a mejor largometraje y cerrˇ con una historia que dejˇ una huella muy profunda en el mundo del cine y mereces ver la tanto como las dos anteriores antes de morir.
September 2, 2018
Mist and shadow, Cloud and shade, All shall fade... All shall... fade."
½ August 20, 2018
Not much wrong with this movie. Only negatives are some scenes are a little too drawn out and some scenarios don't make sense and are just being used to drive the plot. Besides that though, it's a great movie.
August 16, 2018
The entire trilogy was perfect.
August 12, 2018
A great ending to a great trilogy and for me the my most favorite one. Action was incredible, every scene was just great, everything in this movie just made it better for me then the other 2 before it. Loved this film and always will.
August 7, 2018
Voglio fare una recensione unica per questa trilogia cercando di essere il pi¨ breve e conciso possibile. Intanto parto col dire che Ŕ la Trilogia fantastica per eccellenza, ormai divenuta cult, perfetta sotto quasi ogni aspetto. Ogni cosa Ŕ resa al meglio e non ci sono difetti dal punto di vista tecnico; regia di Peter Jackson perfetta, fotografia bellissima e effetti speciali da paura. Le scenografie, le ambientazioni, il trucco e i costumi sono eccellenti. Le musiche e il montaggio delle musiche azzeccatissimi. Dal punto di vista narrativo nulla da dire anche perchÚ non ho letto i libri, purtroppo. Il personaggio che pi¨ mi Ŕ piaciuto Ŕ stato Samvise, interpretato da Sean Astin che Ŕ stato semplicemente magnifico; senza di lui Frodo non avrebbe fatto tutto quello che ha fatto, il vero Eroe della trilogia, soprattutto nell'ultimo film ("Il Ritorno del Re"). Spettacolari anche Ian McKellen (Gandalf), che ha regalato diverse perle divenute cult, e Andy Serkis che ha interpretato Gollum, personaggio bello e brutto allo stesso tempo. Di grandissima potenza i dialoghi di Gollum che ha due personalitÓ, Smeagol (il suo nome originale) e appunto Gollum. Ottimi anche gli altri personaggi. Gli ultimi 50 minuti del terzo film sono di una intensitÓ pazzesca, perfetti sotto ogni punto di vista. Tra i tre film ovviamente ho preferito il terzo ma son tutti e tre fantastici, trilogia UNICA firmata Peter Jackson.
August 6, 2018
Quite uninteresting. Lots of nonsense here. Frodo looks like a looser instead of a brave man.