The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Reviews

October 17, 2016
Long live the king!
Once a year at Christmas time, my family and I anxiously dedicate twelve full hours of our lives to watch all three of the action packed Blu ray extended edition films of Peter Jacksons, The Lord of the Rings. We watch the first two films of the series, which tells the story of a band of heroes, who set off to destroy the ultimate evil threatening there very lives. Through a series of unfortunate events, they become separated and pulled into their own destinies. Building up to the third and final installment, The Return of the King, which comes forward with the most emotion, heroism and special effects in the trilogy. This final finale, bringing the first two films together, comes forth ultimately finishing the mission from the very beginning of destroying the unspeakable evil engulfing their world.
The heir, to the throne of the kingdom of men, standing at the head an army of ghost mercenaries, who go on to destroy an entire army and save countless lives. An elf prince is seen with amazing skill, taking down a creature the size of a ten story building single handedly. A terrifying eight-legged nightmare, nearly killing the one who in the end ultimately saves the entire world. And finally that same hero, after all that he has been through is seen dangling above a chasm of fire, ready to give up all hope. But is saved by the love of his best friend. These are only a few of the breathtaking scenes viewed in this epic finale. From the battle of multiple armies to the final destruction of the ultimate evil forever, this film is a must see and brings an emotional but satisfying end to this unexpected journey.
Ultimately, Peter Jackson does what he had aimed to do, that is to bring the trilogy of The Lord of the Rings to life in a beautiful way, taking the bestselling series into one of highest box office series of all time. The final movie of these classic legends comes to an awesome visual end, making audiences of all ages sit back in their seats and say, "Job well done".
October 14, 2016
epic conclusion with intense battle scenes. was also really long with lots of extensive emotional scenes (about 3 viewings)
October 13, 2016
All three films, beautifully crafted. It can be easily said why this was such a popular series. Sam and Frodo finally make it to Mount Doom to destroy the ring, but with Gollum along there path, things get more complicated. Meanwhile, war against Middle Earth has broken out. The battle against 10,000 Orcs was just the beginning. Battles are bigger, but the hero's become stronger. Overall, I probably wouldn't consider this series a favorite much, but I would honestly consider it the most well made series and most well made group of movies ever. The ending very well shows what this world really needs. Almost three and a half hours, but it moves along very nicely for a film of such length.
½ October 10, 2016
Really enjoyed this movie.
October 10, 2016
This movie deserves over a hundred academy awards! A+
October 5, 2016
The second installment was too much CGI, not enough drawing the audience in. This one does a better job on both counts. I would say more... but after that run time, I'm spent.
September 27, 2016
Great movie. Well acted. Super imagination.
September 18, 2016
Epic adventure, filled with emotions and story. Acting is great,effects are for their time perfect,well rounded. This movie is worthy adaptation of book.
September 13, 2016
This was a GREAT SHOW. I used to watch that movie every night, overnight. The last move was my VERY FAVORITE chapter of the movie.
September 9, 2016
September 9, 2016
Jackson's finest hour (or 4), with an all star cast too long to write down on paper. The quality of this masterpiece can only derive from what was always a faultless series of must-read books by Tolkien. The movie may be too long for some viewers, but there was not a second that was not filled with stunning action holding its own even in this day and age of CGI, drama and passion stemming from tragic romance and brotherhood, or the beauty of displaying life's mysteries on film. A very fitting and well deserved ending to the unforgettable saga that is 'The Lord of the Rings'; any avid fantasy moviegoer will be upset only with the fact that it ends.
September 6, 2016
The film feels like a long battle and one final trek into the end- and it basically is- but it's a powerful and thrilling telling of the long-awaited ending. Tho not all of the characters shine in this one, this film does feature some of the best moments of this great trilogy.
August 26, 2016
The Classic Trilogy Comes to a Close!

Originally Written December 17, 2003--
The culmination of nearly 10 years' work and conclusion to Peter Jackson's epic trilogy based on the timeless J.R.R. Tolkien classic, 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King' presents the final confrontation between the forces of good and evil fighting for control of the future of Middle-earth. Hobbits Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) reach Mordor in their quest to destroy the 'one ring,' while Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) leads the forces of good against Sauron's evil army at the stone city of Minas Tirith.

I absolutely adore these movies! This last chapter was just as fantastic as I thought it would be. If Sean Astin is not at least nominated for an Academy Award for his performance as Sam, I will be upset. This film had better be nominated and win the Academy Award for Best Picture. And Peter Jackson? If he doesn't win the Academy Award for Best Director, I will be pissed! This movie and the two chapters that came before it were phenomenal! Five stars!
August 26, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. This movie never gets old. The fights scenes are awesome. Everyone did great in this movie.
½ August 22, 2016
70% - It is certainly entertaining and concludes The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy very nicely. But it takes a lot of time to build up to its conclusion with multiple endings that ties all storylines towards the end of the film.
August 21, 2016
As the final story in an truly epic series this film had a lot to live up to and boy did it deliver. With truly epic battle scenes, moving acts of love and bravery, wicked acts of betrayal, this movie has it all. Just as you think they couldn't top what has already been done they go ahead and do it. This can only be described as an epic in the world of movie giants.
August 21, 2016
Best film of 2003! Glad it won best picture for 2003 and glad Peter Jacksons films are still remembered today as classics!
½ August 18, 2016
first one creeped me out
August 18, 2016
Plz name me a better epic ;)
August 12, 2016
Perfect end to an amazing trilogy