The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Reviews

February 26, 2017
This is the grandest and busiest of the trilogy, but the ending suffers from a bit of over-explaining. Overall, a very satisfying end to the trilogy.
February 26, 2017
There isn't a flaw I can find in this film. It takes the best of the first two, finds the problems (such as some drag in the length), solves them and sleeks the result into a near-perfect film.
½ February 25, 2017
Definitely a good movie, but it had areas that did not follow the book.
February 25, 2017
i love the lord of the rings return of the king.
February 22, 2017
Great finish to the legendary series.
February 12, 2017
Return of the king was a awesome satisfying conclusion to a masterpiece trilogy.
February 9, 2017
This movie is just Flat out Perfect.
½ February 7, 2017
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) C-201m. ??? 1/2 D: Peter Jackson. Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom, Sean Bean. Vivid storytelling at its best. War continues for Middle-earth as Gollum leads Frodo and Sam further into Mount Doom for destruction of the ring. Big, exciting conclusion to the trilogy, long but richly rewarding both on character and in tremendous action and awesome spectacle; masterfully directed by Jackson. Only flaw: too many endings. Winner of 11 Oscars: Picture, Director, Photography, Music, and plenty of others.
½ February 2, 2017
Very good conclusion. Unfortunately kept waiting for it to end.
½ February 2, 2017
I don't know how bad a movie can get...
January 31, 2017
There is a slight feel of repetition that seeps in to this final chapter, and things are stacked against it as it tries to outdo its predecessor's action, with nothing as tightly constructed or as memorable as Helm's Deep. With the stakes at their highest, however, the emotional energy keeps the audience in its grip more strongly and if we feel drained when it comes to a close; it is in the best possible sense.
January 23, 2017
The conclusion to the Lord of the Rings is visually stunning, and its keeps you watching the whole four hours.
January 22, 2017
The most emotionally powerful of the trilogy, Return of the King sees our adventures with Frodo and the fellowship come to a dramatic yet thrilling end. While the ending is somewhat a predictable one considering knowledge from the books, the film manages to retain attention with beautiful acting, emotive scripting and breathtaking effects. One of the few trilogies which progressively improved with each instalment.
January 20, 2017
My favorite of the trilogy and the best and moving conclusion of the best trilogy since Star Wars.
January 14, 2017
Featuring some of the most spectacular sequences ever seen on film, and moments of such intimate emotion that makes the heart swell. Return of the King defies its enormous expectations to conclude one of the greatest trilogies ever made.
December 18, 2016
A Truly Fantastic Picture, set in JRR Tolkins Middle Earth.
December 7, 2016
Everyone can agree it's a masterpiece.
December 1, 2016
Very similar opinion as the second one, except this one is longer. Actually, I'm not sure if this feels longer than the second or not, I think it feels the same. Not much else I can say, except Sean Astin's performance was outstanding all through the trilogy, and he made Sam probably my favorite character. I think he will be the most underrated, at least his performance. Not sure I can say anything else except, I didn't like the last two as much as the first, but they're still so well done and extremely great, especially when you realize they came out every year, that they are still something for other movies to reckon with. I don't know how anyone could think Star Wars, Star Trek, etc are BETTER than The Lord of the Rings. (Not sure if I need to say this, but I will. I'm talking about franchises, not trilogies, as well as franchises as a whole, not just a part (trilogy) of a franchise.)
November 29, 2016
One of my favorites!
November 26, 2016
Just when I thought Peter Jackson's trilogy couldn't get any better, Return of the King sets the stage as one of the best movies ever made. Compelling, complex, and action-packed, this is what film-making is all about.