The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Reviews

• May 19, 2019

Sets a bar. That's for sure.

Sets a bar. That's for sure.

• May 16, 2019

I was even more befuddled by this film than I was by it's predecessor. So, so many characters exist in this film and yet none of them are particularly interesting and the obstacles they face are poorly made up monsters with silly names like Nazguls and Uruks. Unlike the first film very little time is given to character development here and I felt as though I was watching a montage more than an actual story. If I were into the books I probably would geek out when they eat elfish bread but because I'm not I found the most interesting parts of the film to be those that involved Eowyn and Arwen who each only appear on screen for a few minutes. I have really enjoyed films with all male characters in the past, 12 Angry Men (1957), Secret Honor (1984), but there they are interesting, flawed men who don't speak in riddle. I needed something to latch onto and if it was Aragorn awkwardly swallowing Eowyn's terrible cooking so be it. Gollum, Andy Serkis, finally appears and he attempts to steal the One Ring from Frodo and Sam before he decides to guide them to Mordor after they manage to tie him up. Merry, Dominic Monaghan, and Pippin, Billy Boyd, are captured by an anthropomorphic tree and are the comic relief throughout the film until they get tied up in a battle. Aragorn, Viggo Mortensen, and other men with long white hair end up in Rohan when Karl Urban's dad has become controlled by Saruman, they free him and we prove that Aragorn is perfect because every woman loves him. In the end we find out that Gollum is betraying the two friends, Frodo, Elijah Wood, and Sam, Sean Astin, and is going to try to get the ring back, duh? The visual effects are incredible again and we get to see more of the beautiful New Zealand landscape and scenery, good for our tourism industry. I appreciated how great the tree-man looked and the Nazgul, I think that's what they are called, were equally scary. Clearly Peter Jackson is a great director when it comes to capturing landscapes and creating a beautiful fantasy world but he failed to make me engaged with a story that I was not already invested in without reading the books. Had he taken a cue from Victor Fleming and made the film more accessible I would have been more interested but no, this is for the fanboys only. Another criticism I have is the awful screenplay, the fact that four different people including Jackson and his wife worked on it didn't make it better. Every line seems to be exposition as we get characters who already know one another explaining to each other who they are and what their backstory is. It was so unnatural and left me so uninvolved in their stories or their plights as characters that it ruined the film. The plot just sort of ambles along as we get an awkward blend of bad slapstick comedy from Merry and Pippin and deathly serious scenes of Aragorn giving speeches about the evil of the One Ring. Maybe this is just the way that all fantasy films are written and I understand that they significantly simplified the plot from the book this film is based on but still I expect the film to seem coherent. The only fun parts of the film to me occurred when Miranda Otto was on screen as she was such a luminous, female presence amongst all of the seriousness and masculinity. Her character is underwritten and she falls for Aragorn immediately, because of course, however Otto makes the film worth watching for just a few minutes. Tyler does less with her character but the base instinct in me enjoyed seeing two attractive people kissing, something I wouldn't be so into in a better film. I gave the first film a pass but I really don't think it's worth continuing with this trilogy, even though I will because I hate myself apparently. This was a mess of a film that wastes it's best elements and caused a person who was really trying to get into the film to completely turn against it.

• Mar 31, 2019

Class absolute class. Extended cuts of all three films just add so much to the films. This one is amazing.

• Mar 20, 2019

Superb the best of the trilogy. A must watch, must see l, must have

Superb the best of the trilogy. A must watch, must see l, must have

• Mar 19, 2019

A sequel that manages to stand up on its own and pick up expertly on where it left off. This was another fantastic movie. The action is amazing and much more intense than before. The characters are beautifully developed along their journey. Then, creating more wonderful worlds and journeys we wish to continue and see. As we all feel the excitement and ambition of the final chapter. Pitch perfect all the way through.

• Mar 16, 2019

I'm in love with this franchise <3

I'm in love with this franchise <3

• Mar 14, 2019

My personal favorite in the movie trilogy. Two Towers is darker, more intense, has a great and more prominent villain in Saruman, and gets us ready for the satisfying conclusion.

• Mar 09, 2019

One of the best ever

One of the best ever

• Feb 26, 2019

This movie continues the story as well as the first one began it. This is the movie that shows just how epic and massive Middle Earth is, as we see when they arrive in Rohan. The speech by Sam at the end of the movie is also the most inspiring movie speech maybe ever, and makes it another incredible ending to a movie in the trilogy. Once again, a near perfect translation from book to movie.

• Feb 26, 2019