The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Reviews

December 8, 2017
The Lord of the Rings The Two Towers is the ultimate adventure of our time!
December 3, 2017
It was time to rewatch the trilogy, but in extended edition format! The 2 towers is 3 hours, 30 minutes long! I couldn't finish it in one go, but it was great nonetheless!

In fact, watching it in 2 sittings makes you forget most of the movie, to be honest.

This time around though, it didn't feel as grand as the first time watching it. Helms deep felt smaller in a way, and the victory seemed more menial and quickly resolved.

But the story is grand, and intense nonetheless.

I'll make sure to try watching 'Return of the King' in a single sitting coming up.
½ December 2, 2017
Again the director has outdone himself.
November 24, 2017
This is my favorite film of all time. Everything is just great about even if they come of battles without a scratch.
November 21, 2017
I love the first film, but I found this one boring.
November 19, 2017
The opening scene of The Two Towers provides an outstanding, yet very brief, taste of action, cinematography, and special effects, only to be matched (and far surpassed) in the final hour of the film. The stunning events of the third hour of The Two Towers are undoubtedly the centerpiece of the film, and while the first two hours serve finely as story development, they primarily build anticipation for the final hour, which mostly depicts the battle of Helm's Deep. More than anything else, the first two hours merely tease and torment the patient audience. It's a shame that such a gap has to exist between the first minute and the final hour, but I take no reservations in saying that despite how you feel about the first two hours of the film, the final hour will make the wait entirely worth its while.

As stated, the road to the battle of Helm's Deep can be enormously long and painful for any viewer aware of what breathtaking scenes await towards the end of the film. Perhaps The Two Towers' biggest fault is in its own accomplishments; the first two thirds of the film are well shot, well paced, and they necessarily and adequately progress the storyline, but when compared to the spectacular final hour, the first two hours seem uneventful and insignificant. However, to be fair, I feel that it's simply impossible to create two hours of film that could appropriately lead into the battle of Helm's Deep. It's difficult to comprehend how such scenes came to exist in the rather short amount of time Peter Jackson has had to create six hours (so far) of finished film. The battle of Helm's Deep is simply unreal; it's unlike any event that has come to pass since fantasy films gained, and regained, popularity.

As assumed, The Two Towers begins where The Fellowship of the Ring ended. The majority of the film follows four separate groups and their story lines: Frodo and Sam; Aragorn and Legolas, Merry and Pippin, and Saruman and his army. The performances live well up to the standards of the first film, with a particularly notable performance from Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, whose role is significantly larger in The Two Towers. Aragorn satisfies a thirst for someone to root for, a thirst that was left partly unquenched in Fellowship. It's much easier to root for Aragorn than it is for Frodo; Aragorn has many more qualities of a leading man, a soldier, and a hero. More than once did the audience, filled mostly with academy voters, applaud the heroics of Aragorn. Gollum also shines in a much-welcomed large role, due to extremely realistic computer animation, and a fine performance from Andy Serkis, upon which the animation was modeled. In Fellowship, it was appropriate to consider Gollum one of the many great 'features' of the film. However, here he is more of a leading character and a 'star,' and his convincing dual-personality, stabbing voice, and well-choreographed body movements make him consistently eye-grabbing and the center of focus of nearly every scene in which he appears.

As was The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers is a visual delight. Those who have seen Fellowship are no doubt familiar with the beauty of the landscapes of New Zealand. The cinematography is, again, one of the best aspects of the film. The swooshing camera movements that follow the armies and horsemen throughout the fields are extremely satisfying in this post-Matrix era. The shots of the ascending enemy-laden ladders in the battle of Helm's Deep are terrifying and chillingly gorgeous all at once. The visual effects take an appropriate leap forward from those of the first film. While the visual effects in Fellowship were outstanding, the battle of Helm's Deep provides for the best application of CGI since the rippling waves of The Matrix's 'Bullet Time.' The battle of Helm's Deep features absolutely awe-inspiring and seamless integration of acting, stunts, and computer animation. Each orc seems to have its own personality, demonstrated in its movements and visual features. The masses of armies fight with strategy and true character, which I imagine is much harder to accomplish than animating thousands of identical clone troopers. The only problem I have with the visual department is the look of Gimli, the Treebeard. Gimli's visual features seem a bit childish and uninspired, inconsistent with the standards set by the rest of the film. But again, there is simply nothing that compares to the battle of Helm's Deep. George Lucas and the Wachowski brothers certainly have not created anything that approaches the grandness and magnificence of The Two Towers' final hour, and I doubt they will do so anytime soon.

In The Fellowship of the Ring, I had a few minor problems with Howard Shore's score. While I thought it was gorgeous and it established several very memorable themes, I don't think it handled the sentimental scenes (opening in the Shire, Gandalf's passing) properly. I thought it caved in to the melodrama a bit too much, resembling the emotions from James Horner's Titanic. However, I believe that The Two Towers requires the type of score which Howard Shore accomplishes best: dark, continuous, and unrelenting, as demonstrated in Se7en and Silence of the Lambs. The theme used in many of the action scenes in Fellowship (low brass, six notes repeated with a rest in between) is much more present in The Two Towers, appropriately. A brand new theme is also unveiled, the theme for Rohan, a prominent kingdom in Middle Earth. Rohan's theme is played more often than any other melody in the film, underscoring most of the memorable and heroic scenes with great effect. Howard Shore undeniably exhibits his skills as an 'A-list' composer, and with a possible double Oscar nomination this year for The Two Towers and Gangs of New York, he could get propelled to the very top of the 'A-list,' right beside John Williams and Hans Zimmer in terms of demand.

If not the picture itself, there should be a way to recognize and award the battle of Helm's Deep. The battle sequence alone represents successful filmmaking in its highest form. The choreography of the battle, the visual effects, the pacing, acting, cinematography, and music, all work together in perfection to achieve grand filmmaking which is as entertaining and enjoyable as film can be. For this very reason, no one, whether a fan of Fellowship or not, should miss The Two Towers.The Two Towers can only be explained in one word, beautiful. This film left me breathless. I was hoping for a film that could stand in the same depths of the Fellowship of the Ring, and I must say that it has surpassed the film completely. I will have a hard time watching the Fellowship and seeing the ending, knowing there is so much more waiting.

Let's start with Gollum. Gollum gave an astonishing performance. The poor misunderstood beast, or the darkened soul creature whose cares are only based on the One Ring. The performance given in CGI is at times very human. The facial expressions given could strangely give this character a personality as you would see in any great actor. Gollum's voice is still haunting, even when the beast appears to be the loving guide to the dark gates of Mordor. For these reasons and more, Gollum has become my favorite character in the film, replacing Legolas in the Fellowship.

On the other side of Middle Earth we see Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. I have to say that the dark times of this movie are at times overbearing, and saddening. There is a perfect mix of humor in the film given by the characters Gimli, and Legolas, while still keeping the viewer in understanding that these are very darkened times. Aragorn's performance is outstanding. He has proven that he can be put on an A-List of actors, and deserves appraise for his performance.

Gandalf "the White" in this film was a twist. We remember the friendly Gandalf The Grey in the Fellowship being a kind elderly wizard. Shouting off fireworks for the children of the shire, and smoking "leaf" as explained in the novel. There are no cute scenes with the new White Wizard. No fireworks, or pipes. Just a Wizard that knows the daunting task ahead, and the quest seems to have taken hold of the great wizard.

Very dark are the times for Frodo, and Samwise. Gollum seams to give Frodo hope, as the two ring bearers can associate the pains of the One Ring. Frodo gives an amazing performance this time around as well. It seams that the Ring of power has taken hold of Frodo, and our hero is slipping. But the surprise was aimed at Samwise. Proving that Sam is the definition of a true best friend. Even at times when it seems there is no hope for the troubled trio, it seams that Sam brings hope to the moment. This is what keeps the Frodo's story this time around even more extraordinary, is the hope that is there, even when all odds point to despair.

Merry and Pippin's story is very odd initially. The Ents in the story are very wise and newly troubled creatures from the amazing mind of Tolkien. This story goes back to cut scenes during the worries of the rest of Middle Earth, and gives us a feeling of hope, in the troubled times of Aragorn and the others. The Ents were very well done CGI wise, but it was there personality that moved the audience. They are curiously wise, and well spoken and give the impression of an elderly college Professor. Their story is eventually given a wonderful opportunity, and for those of us who know the story, know that greatness is upon them.

This movie honestly moved me further than I thought any film could. I could see my face and the emotion I felt as I was watching this mammoth film. Peter Jackson has truly given us all a gift of a magnificent. This story has captivated my heart, and the film has taken my breath away. There is no words that can express the greatness of this film. 10/10
November 17, 2017
Best trilogy of ALL TIME
½ November 10, 2017
greatest trilogy ever
Bradley T. Johnson
½ November 4, 2017
Burdened somewhat by a lack of giddy awe that characterized the first LOTR outing, The Two Towers is both grand and spectacular but almost unrelentingly grim, cascading with battles and dark forces galore. All is done in service of deepening the mythology and narrative of the series, but it isn't necessarily much fun. It proves nearly a drag, albeit a gorgeous and epic one, in the over an hour climactic battle that has no reason being as long as it is. While the conclusion is powerful and beckons the audience to join them for the final outing, The Two Towers is long and ponderous but so well-filmed and engaging for fans of the series, it is hard to fault it completely. Rating: 67
November 1, 2017
The sequel to TLOTR is one of the best ever made in this whole theater.
October 14, 2017
One of the best movies I have ever seen, it is rewatchable, and makes you understand every moment, the acting is a solid 10/10 and the story is awesome
October 10, 2017
Epic, beautifully made fantasy film!
September 26, 2017
Gandalf's third act arrival, when all hope seems lost, is one of the greatest moments in film history. An unbelievable sequel that I enjoyed more than the excellent first movie. Special effects that still for the most part hold up, an unbelievable climax, and Gollum/Smeagle stealing the show combine to make this my favorite of the trilogy. Almost, if not as good as The Dark Knight.
September 10, 2017
The middle of a trilogy is always a difficult balance to achieve, you have to build and develop existing characters from the first film and also create enough intrigue and excitement for the final film whilst being an enjoyable and action packed entity of it's own and The Two Towers completely pulls it off. We follow the fellowship that has now broken off into 3 distinct groups, Frodo and Sam head towards Mordor, Merry and Pippin have been taken by the Uruk Hai and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli have set off on foot to rescue their hobbit friends. We're also introduced to quite a few new characters, the most interesting of which are Theoden, played by Bernard Hill and Gollum/Sméagol, played by Andy Serkis. Gollum is one of the most astounding achievements of this film, the mixture of motion capture, cgi and Andy Serkis' performance creates a character that is so engaging, pitiful and complicated that he steals every scene that he's in and shows the audience what could happen to Frodo if his mission fails. The Two Towers also ratchets up the fight scenes from the previous film with the attack on Isengard and the battle for Helm's Deep, the latter or which has an excellent balance of tension, humour, action and real heart to it as our heroes are heavily outnumbered by the enemy. Just as good as the The Fellowship of the Ring, if not better, Peter Jackson continues to push the boundaries of filmmaking in scale and excellence.
September 2, 2017
My only favorite part was the beginning and then it got boring for me and complicated so it's not one for me
August 27, 2017
Not as fun as the first one but it defenatly was done beter with an even amount of everything which made it a great sequel to the LOTR.
August 14, 2017
BEST MOVIE AND BEST TRIOLOGY EVER. PERIOD.
August 10, 2017
alternate version. I've seen this and would give it same rating as main version.
August 9, 2017
Excellent, excellent, excellent film. The dam scence and the battle with the orcs make the movie.
½ August 6, 2017
The Two Towers is a better sequel with more fleshed out and memorable characters, and amazing story.