The Lost Medallion: The AdventStoneures of Billy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost Medallion: The AdventStoneures of Billy Reviews

April 16, 2015
Are you here to tell us a story?

A man swings by a foster home to drop off some donations and discovers the weekly storyteller called out sick. He notices a lot of children that feel sorry for themselves and decides to fill in this week for the storyteller. He tells the tale of three children that resemble kids at the orphanage and takes them on an adventure with a lost medallion that will hopefully turn some kid's lives around.

"I'm an idiot."
"That's the first correct thing you've said all day."

Bill Muir delivers The Medallion: the Adventures of Billy Stone in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is just okay and not as action packed as other films in this genre. The story within the story was below average as well. The acting was okay and the cast includes Billy Unger, Sammi Hanratty, James Hong, Alex Kendrick, Jansen Panettiere, and William Corkery.

"Do you think God ever makes people by accident?"

I found this on Netflix and decided to give it a shot as a fun family film. This was a bit disappointing. I did like the overall story, but the main film was a bit bland. Overall, this is worth a viewing once with the family, but only if there isn't something better available.

"Some of us learn faster than others."

Grade: C-
½ October 25, 2014
My children saw this at a friend's house and wanted us to watch it together on our Sunday Family Film Night. They were absolutely thrilled to share it with us, believing it to be a super exciting film that wasn't even a cartoon!

The set-up scenes of the film were a little nauseating. A handyman gets roped into telling a story to a group of foster kids who are desperate for something to believe in. Predictably, the main characters of this "spontaneous" tale are based upon the kids in the room in order to teach them all some vital life lesson.

Once the actual story began in earnest, it was a bit more intriguing. It was great to share a fantasy adventure with the kids; and I am always on the lookout for live-action, family-oriented films. There were moments when I thought it was actually an okay movie, but many more times when I silently brooded on its pervasive amateur quality.

The girls seemed to enjoy the story just as much the second time around. I'm sure I would have championed it at their age as well. I kindly kept my opinions to myself.
August 23, 2014
Pretty good, I guess...
½ May 16, 2014
A kids version of Indiana Jones. Its not great and it's very amateurish but kids will enjoy it.
February 21, 2014
January 3, 2014
Nice family film, with some good messages.
December 20, 2013
This is a great movie for people who care about what their family sees and hears. When I first realized Alex Kendrick was in this, I knew it was going to be good. The story shows This story shows that people are of great value to God, kindness is a worthwhile display of love, a service to others is the example of Christ that we should follow.
November 25, 2013
It is amazing how when there is a good movie with all the right moral values, of having faith and courage, respect of elder, the good overcome evil, and kindness of heart, such as this one, that is great for family and kids to enjoy together, it receives a mediocre rating, along with criticism. No wonder our cultural value has lost its center on "doing good to others as you would have others done to you." I highly recommend this film to be seen in a family without the cynical attitude.
October 28, 2013
Lo Ășnico que deberĂ­a estar perdido es este film.
½ October 20, 2013
I only watched this for Alex Kendrick. He's great as always, but the rest of the film is pretty mediocre.
October 7, 2013
I kept waiting for Mark Dacascos to give us his Iron Chef persona (which would have been 100 times more enjoyable) alas after wasting an hour and a half and this poorly acted and extremely dull flick I was left to only hope that he sticks with Iron Chef. The Lost Medallion is an assault on the senses with it poor wardrobe choices, writing, and direction. Nothing about this film is worth seeing,
½ September 29, 2013
The movie is overwritten and the adult actors are awful. It is only the child actors that make the movie seem even remotely professional. The writter beats you over the head with the moral of the story and makes characters absolutely unbelievable. Bill Muir needs to take his stories to a writting class and have people help him figure out the story problems before he wastes money making D movies.
½ September 23, 2013
This is actually a pretty well done kids movie, but I would have to say it's directed especially for children.
August 28, 2013
Simple story, good for kids. The faith based element is subtle until the end, then you get smacked with it. I'm not sure I liked the twisting of the timeline.
½ May 4, 2013
Is mostly for kids(daydreaming) story's
April 28, 2013
Debe tener una gran ensenanza....deja ver cuando la veo.
April 20, 2013
The film is definitely for a younger crowd. I can imagine my pre teen nephew rolling his eyes at parts. However, for a movie that has all the workings of a production shunned by Hollywood and subsequently those with the dough it does a remarkable job attempting to reach the quality of a studio film. The production value, visual effects, and cinematography were top notch. In the end, the strong lingering message outweighs some of the faults in sub par acting, under developed characters, and continuity errors. In a way, an unintentional movie loophole occurs after a quote at the end of the film rendering all the flaws in the story excusable.

Although this is not one of those films that adults enjoy as much as kids, it is a film with a lasting message of humility, compassion, and self confidence especially in the eyes of God.

Finally, if you are not religious, but are open enough not to cringe when you hear the word God, this movie is not as blatant in it's use of religion as a the basis to do good compared to other faith based films so if you are looking for a clean and ethically conscious film look no further.
½ April 20, 2013
It deserve an Razzie award for the worst acting ever for all the cast
March 18, 2013
This movie is THE BEST kids/family movie in the theaters! In my opinion it is best suited for kids ages about 6 to 15, but older and younger kids (and adults) tend to enjoy it as well. It is kind of an Indiana Jones movie for kids -- with adventure, great scenery (Thailand), and uplifting lessons about how each person is important. Most kids will like it, but if you know someone with foster kids, this will be an even more special story for them! No objectionable material (unless you count a few "scary" scenes when bad guy kills with his poison fingernails). Good fun with a positive message. Watching the trailer gives a good idea of the general storyline. Starring Billy Unger (currently with Disney's Lab Rats) and narrated by Alex Kendrick (Facing the Giants & Courageous). See it soon -- good movies like this do not stay in theaters long at this time of year.
½ March 16, 2013
Horrible. Didn't realize it was going to be a bunch of Christian propaganda.