The Lost Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost Thing Reviews

March 4, 2015
a simple short animation about taking time out to help out the lost. pretty nicely rendered world.
October 12, 2014
:-D Shaun Tan = MITO
November 22, 2013
amazing creativity and originality.
½ February 16, 2013
Boy befriends stray dog, if stray dog is strange alien robot thing.
April 28, 2012
A simple yet touching film about memories - the good kind, and how we neglect them by how useless they may seem, by how busy we have been doing some other things. It's really quite touching and I love the quirky animation. It's a beautiful piece about living with a real smile on your face.
February 3, 2012
This is a short film done right - gripping, well-paced, and fascinating all the way through. Well done, Australia!
½ February 1, 2012
The animation isn't quite faultless but the book is perfectly transposed and makes an outstanding short- wry, quirky, moving: a wise suburban fable.
August 8, 2011
Saw this at friends birthday party at The Royale. What a great animated short with a charming story and awesome visual style from Shaun Tan.
½ July 19, 2011
This is a short animated movie - which I found spectacular. Its social commentary is so strong. We live in a modern world where no one stops to think, no one breaks out of their mold, no one wonders or particularly cares about what happens around them. We are the target of daily bombardment, nothing even just...BREATHES. And this short portrays that very clearly.

I enjoyed the story, so smart and yet so simple. Great animation - very beautiful texture to it. And the ending has a strong impact.
½ June 15, 2011
acerca de lo perdido que esta la sociedad, que no tiene la intencion de observar aquellas pequeñas señales, aquellas cosas "perdidas"
½ May 27, 2011
"The Lost Thing" is a cute story with a children's book feel to it and a simple message: Everybody and everything has a place in this world, but we should help each other to find their place. Unique animation and good narration, I just wish that I was longer.
½ May 24, 2011
I wanna watch more of these.:D
May 19, 2011
I just finished my BA-thesis written on Shaun Tan's "Tale From Outer Suburbia" and celebrated by giving his Oscar winning "The Lost Thing" a first viewing. Needless to say this excellently animated short film, based on the picture book by the same name, manges to fully feature the poetic philosophy, the social dichotomy and narrative complexity that often get reflected in Tan's work. This is an opus by a creative genius!
May 18, 2011
Heartbreakingly beautiful.
½ May 9, 2011
An oscar winning short film; and well deserved in my opinion. This rather slow film doesn't hurry through a madcap plot but meanders carefully and with a great sense of beauty through a rather confusing series of events. A boy finds a strange machine/creature on the beach and takes it home. The Lost Thing defies categorisation and the boy, voiced by Tim Minchin begins a quest to find somewhere for it to stay. This film just throws up questions and will no doubt generate many different interpretations. It's neither happy nor sad, but seems to comment on the role of things that don't quite fit in to a 'normal' world. The music and animation compliment each other beautifully and I think this film should be shown in schools; as an example of excellent animation, wonderful poignancy but also to facilitate discussions about the nature of things, the idea of conformity and the beauty of abstract ideas. This had a deliciously Dali-esque feel to it and is one of the best shorts I've seen.
½ April 27, 2011
The Lost Thing has a beautiful melancholic charm that evokes the work of writer Neil Gaiman and filmmaker Tim Burton. Tan has previously worked as a conceptual artist on computer animated films Horton Hears a Who! and WALL·E, and his experience creating unique and immersive landscapes is evident in The Lost Thing. It is a sad and bureaucratic world, not too distant from Terry Gilliam's Brazil, where a population lost in their daily routine don't notice the presence of an extraordinary creature that needs looking after. Blessed with glowing animation, storybook transitions, gentle humor and a dreamlike logic, The Lost Thing is a real gem; whimsical, universal, and yet somehow very Australian (could just be the accent, but I think it's the light).

VERDICT: "Matinée" - (Mixed reaction). These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says to pay matinée prices to see at a theatre, buy an ex rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own.
March 5, 2011
Sweet-natured, but, for me, the weakest of the 2010 Oscar-nominated shorts (though it won). The narration got a bit obnoxious for me.
March 3, 2011
Winner of the 2010 Oscar for Animated Short Film. Well-deserved.
½ February 28, 2011
Oscar winning animated short with really good animation.. but the suprisingly touching story is what makes this so great. I'm glad this won the Oscar.
February 27, 2011
Boy happens upon a lost robotic crab and takes it to live among other oddities.