The Love Letter Reviews

• Jun 05, 2017

So many fave moments in this sweet film. Hard to believe it's almost 20 years old! Thanks to the great Jennifer and her co-star Campbell for giving us die-hard romantics a story we can truly fall in love with.

• Aug 09, 2016

Charming and unusual romantic fantasy SF writer Jack Finney has been largely, and unjustly, forgotten by the general reading public. His name is well known to film trivia buffs as the author of the novel on which the 1956 Don Siegal cult film Invasion of the Body Snatchers (and several remakes) was based, and fans of Science Fiction/Fantasy will know that he also was one of the few authors in the genre who achieved commercial success publishing in mainstream magazines like The Saturday Evening Post. His classic time travel novel Time and Again, and its sequel, From Time to Time, are still well worth reading. Finney's work is basically fantasy with science overtones, often as a framework for conventional but well done boy-meets-girl romance stories; they are sometimes sentimental, but the sentiment is so innocently conveyed that it is charming rather than cloying. This description also applies to The Love Letter, a TV-film version of one of Finney's classic short stories. The premise is simple: a young man in late 20th century Boston buys an antique desk originally owned by a young woman in a nearby town in the mid-19th century, and finds a letter she has written to an imaginary lover in a secret compartment. He finds a way to answer the letter, and in the ensuing correspondence, the two fall in love. Despite the obviously impossibility of such a relationship, the film manages to achieve a sort of happy ending. Though this film is technically science fantasy, the time travel aspect is achieved almost totally through the juxtaposition of realistic scenes from the two eras, with virtually no special effects. Though a made-for-TV movie, production values are very high, and the acting generally excellent, especially by Jennifer Jason Leigh as the Civil War era belle. As basically a romance film, it may qualify as what is sometimes disparagingly called a "chick flick," but the film's excellence and charm will appeal, I think, even to people who ordinarily don't like that genre. No advisories, except for some brief graphically grim scenes of wounded soldiers after Gettysburg. The Hallmark DVD transfer is very good.

• May 08, 2014

I wanted him to end up with her as she was back then. But it turns out they were in love as past life lovers and reincarnated to love again. Was really touching. Music was stunning! Totally unique and I'm so glad they ended up with each other (sort of?).. With him being with her reincarnated self and she loved his past life. So she died alone and sad :( at least she found happiness in teaching and was reincarnated to be with him. Stunning movie! One of the best movies ever seen, don't believe in reincarnation, but what a romance!

• Jun 17, 2013

This is a great love aurora of your looking for a present and past love story. I saw this on tv And absolutely loved it!

• Oct 24, 2012

love this movie seen it tons and tons of times cant get enough of it....

love this movie seen it tons and tons of times cant get enough of it....

• Jul 14, 2012

Interesting, but odd

Interesting, but odd

• May 27, 2012

A made for TV movie, a girl movie, but sweet enough. Also relatively funny - like the irony of Ellen saying "I can't believe your mother is in love with a woman". LOL.

• May 01, 2012

One of my favorites! Very romantic.

One of my favorites! Very romantic.

• Apr 20, 2012

It was actually a pretty enjoyable film, but it does have some plot holes to it.

• May 24, 2011

Well we knew what we were getting. It's a saccharine romance, with a lot of fairy tale to it. We enjoyed it because we were in the mood for something simple. Basically the message is that there is a true love out there, somewhere - no work required, no need to know them a little first. Fairy tale, and a bad model for life - but nice easy viewing.