The Lovers Reviews

• Feb 08, 2019

The lovers is a confusing mess of a film. The movie tries to put its heart in the right place but the movie comes off too confusing, poorly paced, with a very cheesy set design. I’m sure the ambitions of the project were a lot bigger than what finally is on screen.

• Feb 11, 2017

Just watched this on Netflix and it was very pretty but boring and unbelievable.

• Sep 20, 2016

Across time romances, but it's exceptionally dull.

Across time romances, but it's exceptionally dull.

• Sep 19, 2016

I'm amazed an Oscar nominated director had anything to do with this turgid tale of love across the barriers of time, it's not by the way about time travel, reincarnation would be a better description. The acting is dreadful, the pace is turgid and the story totally uninvolving . Do not waste a moment of your life even thinking about watching this movie.

• Jun 12, 2016

A guy from the future gets the bends whilst trying to save his girlfriend and falls into a coma; which transports him back in time to 18th century India, where he falls in love with an India. Soothsayer. Beautiful scenery and the acting was...ok. But that's all the good I can say about it I'm afraid. The characters are forgettable, the story confusing at best and doesn't feel worth the investment to work it out. One to miss.

• Nov 16, 2015

Two women's efforts from two different timelines to save their loved one. It was in the pre-production for over a decade, before reshuffle and recasting happened with the existing one. It was supposed to be an Indo-Aussie joint production, but later the Belgium production company joined the project. After the several hurdles it managed to get completed. It was an Anglo-Indian historical romance-drama, during the British raj in India about betrayal, coup, revenge and a journey movie. Also simultaneously set in the modern world focusing an archaeological couple who discovers a lost ancient Indian jewel in a shipwreck. From there the story gets a perfect beginning, later moves back to India. I don't understand what's with the Chinese music where the actual story take place in the 18th century India. It was so good and blends well, but that does define India or Indian culture while narrating its story. If you are not familiar with both Chinese and Indian musics, then it's not an issue at all. But that does not it, the names are Hindu and Indian soldiers with the Persian costumes, swords and other gadgets. How the name 'Dragon's Throat' came to Indian geographical area and surname for the Indian characters in a wrong princely state. Like that, many stuffs make no sense, especially if you are from that part of the Earth. I think the research was very poor for making this movie. They should have hired an Indian musician and costume designer with an historian. "Love has many faces, and one of them is jealousy." The quality was top notch, the cast and their performances were excellent. But I could not stand for Bipasha Basu's facial expressions. She was always been in a sad face look, so depressing. That is the way her character was developed, so nothing wrong in her display. It was her international debut flick as well, and the launch was so disappointing. Because the story was very weak, maybe very silly. I have never seen the narration set in the ancient India other than in the Indian films. Quite amazing locations, and convinced with the visuals that how the 1700s' subcontinent would have looked like. The major problem with this flick is that people can't get ending. How the time barrier was broken to pass through another timeline was never explained. The Hindu priest/saint/sadhu who blabbers about the space and time was a ridiculous than intellectual briefing. So this film owes lots of explanation to the viewers than entertaining them. I want to favour it, but I also want to be honest. The film was not like I was hoping for, very excited for the merge of historical subject with sci-fi, but did not stand tall. Thankfully, either it was not a bad movie of the year, I've seen even worse that I felt not to review. I won't recommend it, but there's a slim chance that you might like it, so choose it carefully. 5/10

• Oct 04, 2015

Not very exciting for aa adventure story, or touching for a love story. Rather blah. Somewhere inTime is a much better time travel romance. The screenplay is rather muddled and the acting bland as well. And why are they playing Chinese music as the love theme? It was also way too long and dragged out. Not to mention that the description here says the "present day" is 2010 and the cars and medical gear are something out of Star Trek-the Next Generation. Who put this crazy quilt of a movie together, anyway?

• Sep 12, 2015

I thought it was a very good movie!

I thought it was a very good movie!

• Sep 02, 2015

The Lovers offers a new idea that could've been great if not for the lack of coherence between the two timelines the movie takes place in. There's not much that holds it together other than the lead actor. But it's still a charming romance and adventure nonetheless.

• Sep 02, 2015

A romantic epic journey so masterfully directed and accompanied with stunning cinematography and talented performances. The fault, I would say, in this movie goes back to its rather dragging events and cliche love story.