The Loving Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Loving Story Reviews

October 31, 2016
A moving reminder in this era of Donald Trump, that we're all just humans, that who we love is who we love, and it's no one else's business. Two simple, ordinary people fall in love, and the State decides they are not allowed. It's frightening, as are the attitudes of some of the people shown in the movie who are not themselves evil but were brought up in a culture of intolerance and injustice. Fortunately the conclusion is heartwarming, and a reminder that sometimes - maybe often - this country gets it right in the end. Too bad people have to suffer along the way.
I love what Mr. Loving says when the lawyers ask him if there's anything he'd like to tell the judges of the Supreme Court of the United States. I won't spoil it here. But it says it all.
I highly recommend this movie.
May 21, 2016
new the loving story
½ March 29, 2016
A very moving documentary about two very committed and powerful working class people. As a person who didn't grow up here it is hard to conceive of the depth of the racist ideology, the concept of white supremacy that emerged with such vengeance after Reconstruction, or during and after it. In the official version, this ideology is shown to have its origins in some sort of innate behavior on the part of the white skinned European, a genetic defect almost. But it goes against human nature this ideology, it is maintained through violence and coercion; it is unnatural. At the root of it is the need of its proponents to maintain power and social control of those who have none. These two quiet soft spoken yet courageous individuals I found very moving. I would love to have met them. It is not working within the law that changes society for the better but breaking it. Laws are made by those in power, they are made to be broken. But the lawyers, whose efforts to change the miscegenation laws that still existed in16 states at the time, can be proud that their efforts were successful.
January 12, 2015
The film crew also capture a UFO in this documentary check frame starting time 17:39, I was completely shocked that something not only appeared in the footage but accelerated from from a low altitude be hide the house to unbelievable speed into the sky...you tell me....its there .........very scary.
December 19, 2014
Moving story! Loved the recollection of the lawyers and the audio from the actual court case!
June 28, 2014
This is an eye opening documentary! For those of us that we're just kids while it was happening and take for granted certain liberties, give us a lesson on what it takes to fight for what you believe and, more importantly, the one you love! I'll probably watch it, at least, one more time.
May 24, 2014
Very interesting story of not too distant VA history. The pace of the documentary lags at points, but it's very good overall with extensive footage that indicates that the filmographer knew he/she was recording history.
April 22, 2014
wow powerful documentary!!! its on netflix well worth the watch to see how marriage rights have evolved
April 19, 2014
Wonderful documentary about Richard and Mildred Loving.
April 8, 2014
Culture evolution at its finest.
March 28, 2014
Awesome documentary that follows the lives of a white man and a colored/Indian woman that chose to marry, only learning after that their home state of Virginia didn't allow them to cohabitate. They fought it up to the Supreme Court and are responsible for overturning the law in 16 other states.
March 26, 2014
Brave and beautiful story.
March 24, 2014
One of the best documentaries of all time, in my opinion. The photographs of Grey Villet, colorized home movie footage, and the presence of the two ACLU attorney involved in the historic court case, come together to make this film unforgettable.
March 23, 2014
Amazing movie, telling how one family fought for 9 years, all the way to the Supreme Court to get to be together and live in their home state, Virginia. Amazingly, although laws against racially mixed marriage were thus struck down by the Supreme Court in 1967, the 16 southern states who had them were clearly not forced to comply. Alabama did so only in the year 2000.
August 18, 2013
This story was amazing... love prevails! Still heartbreaking to see what a husband and wife had to go through just to be in love and raise family. Historical information with surprising video of that time in a place where I'm from.
June 7, 2013
A powerful bit of history everybody should know. A very well put together documentary.
½ June 4, 2013
Wonderful documentary about Richard and Mildred Loving, whose case on interracial marriage went to the Supreme Court. Full of home movies and behind-the-scenes interviews. Highly recommended.
April 17, 2013
Everyone should watch this movie...If the laws still existed today it would have been a felony for me to marry my wife...Astonishing that someone could legally justify denying people the right to marry...Oh wait!??
March 19, 2013
Mr. and Mrs. Loving felt in love and decided to marry and have children. Too bad it was 1963 and in Virginia (USA) a black woman and a white male were not allowed to marry by law. This is a story of true love and how, sometimes, it can change the world and make it sligthy a better place. Oh, and I hope some of the supremacist interviewed in the 60's were alive today to say hello to Obama Goberment.
Harlequin68
½ December 16, 2012
"The Loving Story" is an insightful and informative documentary about the landmark Supreme Court decision Loving v. Virginia, which invalidated anti-miscegenation laws across the country and would eventually pave the way for same sex marriage. The story starts simply enough with Mildred Jeter and Richard Loving getting married in the District of Colombia in 1958, due to their native Virginia outlawing interracial marriage. After returning, they were arrested and convicted under the state's Racial Integrity Act, and under a suspended sentence, were told to leave the state. In 1963, Mildred wrote then Attorney General Robert Kennedy to inquire if any of the current civil rights legislation would apply to them. He said no, maybe they could try the ACLU...

One of the highlights of "The Loving Story" is listening to audio recordings of Supreme Court arguments which I had never heard before.(One of the lawyers says being in front of the Supreme Court was like looking in the face of God.) While I normally don't favor the approach of relying on archival and previously shot documentary footage, here it works well to let us not only get to know the couple at the heart of the case but also what it was like to live in a time and place that was a lot more complicated than any of us had been led to believe.