• Unrated, 1 hr. 17 min.

48% Turn: Season 1
100% Veep: Season 3

The Loving Story Reviews

December 16, 2012
"The Loving Story" is an insightful and informative documentary about the landmark Supreme Court decision Loving v. Virginia, which invalidated anti-miscegenation laws across the country and would eventually pave the way for same sex marriage. The story starts simply enough with Mildred Jeter and Richard Loving getting married in the District of Colombia in 1958, due to their native Virginia outlawing interracial marriage. After returning, they were arrested and convicted under the state's Racial Integrity Act, and under a suspended sentence, were told to leave the state. In 1963, Mildred wrote then Attorney General Robert Kennedy to inquire if any of the current civil rights legislation would apply to them. He said no, maybe they could try the ACLU...

One of the highlights of "The Loving Story" is listening to audio recordings of Supreme Court arguments which I had never heard before.(One of the lawyers says being in front of the Supreme Court was like looking in the face of God.) While I normally don't favor the approach of relying on archival and previously shot documentary footage, here it works well to let us not only get to know the couple at the heart of the case but also what it was like to live in a time and place that was a lot more complicated than any of us had been led to believe.
March 26, 2014
Brave and beautiful story.
March 24, 2014
One of the best documentaries of all time, in my opinion. The photographs of Grey Villet, colorized home movie footage, and the presence of the two ACLU attorney involved in the historic court case, come together to make this film unforgettable.
Tatyana B.
August 18, 2013
This story was amazing... love prevails! Still heartbreaking to see what a husband and wife had to go through just to be in love and raise family. Historical information with surprising video of that time in a place where I'm from.
March 19, 2013
Mr. and Mrs. Loving felt in love and decided to marry and have children. Too bad it was 1963 and in Virginia (USA) a black woman and a white male were not allowed to marry by law. This is a story of true love and how, sometimes, it can change the world and make it sligthy a better place. Oh, and I hope some of the supremacist interviewed in the 60's were alive today to say hello to Obama Goberment.

December 16, 2012

December 12, 2012
100% ??? More like political correctness run amuck.
February 28, 2012
With great archival footage this documentary tells more than a story of a civil rights struggle of an interracial couple in Virgina in the early 60's, but that of a romance, a real love that could not be torn apart by bigotry.
February 18, 2012
Many archival photos and videos. It was very presented. I also think in their case it helped a lot that the couple were attractive and well-spoken.
June 27, 2011
This worked so well; I can't imagine anyone not appreciating the quality here. With a minimum of melodrama the story is told, and the survivors interviewed; what really makes this special is the inclusion of long unbroken segments of footage shot at the time in the couple's home and at the courthouse that makes us feel as if we know them. A timely story, expertly told.