The Magic of Belle Isle Reviews

April 17, 2012
Sweet, charming movie Rob Reiner style. Many chuckle moments that I got a kick out of, especially with the character Carl. Morgan Freeman is wonderful, as usual...
jjnxn
½ February 5, 2013
Comic drama that can best be described as nice, Morgan Freeman and Virginia Madsen make it seem better than it is.
July 11, 2012
Rob Reiner is a good at taking adult themes, and turning them into good family orientated films. "Stand By Me" is my favorite Reiner movie, as I grew up watching that with my mom. Here, Morgan Freeman plays Monte, a alcoholic, paralyzed writer, who has lost the will to to write. Monte movies to Belle Isle and befriends a single mom(Virginia Madsen) and her three young daughters, whom help him find his inspiration again. It's a good, sweet natured, borderline sappy PG movie. The performances are all good, especially Freeman. It's good to see him in an actual leading role again instead of a supporting player or voice over. The rest of the cast is very good, as all three daughters do a terrific job, as does the usually great Madsen. It may be too boring for kids, and honestly it does drag a little during the middle, but it's still very entertaining and a good watch. Good watch.
SC007
½ July 10, 2012
Morgan Freeman and Virginia Madsen's performances are the best reason to watch this film. They shine in the film and have a great on screen chemistry. Keenan Thompson also does a good job with his supporting role. All 3 daughters in the film are great too.

My problem with the film was the tone of the film. It felt too much like an after school TV movie than a regular theatrical release. Also the pacing was off. Some scenes are too slow.

Still, despite the flaws, I do recommend the film, especially for Freeman and Madsen's performances.
½ November 13, 2012
I'm not sure if this was great or just good. Nothing terribly exciting or amazing happens, yet it's never dull or disappointing. Morgan is as good as ever, maybe too good for everyone else around him, especially since the second most interesting character is a retarded dude who hops like a bunny and wears swim goggles on the bus as a sweet disguise. I guess I'll go with very good.
½ October 1, 2012
Liked this movie no matter how Flickster reviewed it. Was worthwhile and I did not think Wildhorn was a crank.
½ October 8, 2012
This movie was very predictable, but it was a sweet story. The cast makes it worth at least one watch.
September 21, 2012
a well crafted character study i like this frreman/reiner collab i hope this isn't the only thing they do together.
½ July 29, 2015
An very average film but still it maintains its sweetness.
May 14, 2015
very pleasant film in the way movies used to be long ago. Well written, gentle,warm story.
March 27, 2015
Middle of the road feel-good sap. It feels an awful lot longer than it is.
March 8, 2015
Excellent movie good for the whole family from 1 to 99. Morgan Freeman does an outstanding job which is something he does so well.
½ February 6, 2015
No. Spoilers below, but they barely warrant a warning; if you're paying any kind of attention then you know what's going to happen well before you see any of it. The gushing sentimentality would be warranted if there were a shred of depth behind it. The best scenes are when the movie attempts to tackle something mundane and everyday, those feel natural and real; the rest is just an endless slew of cliches. Freeman tries but he doesn't have much to work with, his character would have been much more interesting if the movie gave his feelings and struggles with his disabled state any screentime at all. He woos the cardboard cut out mother character with a children's book without the slightest nuance or personal relevance or significance, and has to teach an imaginative child about imagination (at the girl's insistence and a $34.18 pricetag). The only conflict in the movie is entirely contrived, sharply out of character, and easily dismissed. Humor comes either from tired gags or at the expense of a mentally challenged boy. Literally nothing in the movie is genuine and unless you like your characters one-dimensional and your plot free of craps to give, you'll probably be more frustrated at the wasted potential than anything.
February 2, 2015
This is a sweet story that made us all a bit teary-eyed. Takes a real cynic not to let go sometimes and just enjoy a heart-felt story. This pic gave us fresh reason to believe that there is good "out there" and that there are people (thank you, Rob Reiner!) who aren't afraid to say so.
½ December 28, 2014
This Hallmark movie repeats the same 5 scenes throughout the whole movie, and the scenes become so predictable you'd think someone kept sitting on the remote rewinding he movie.
November 4, 2014
This has to be the best movie on this earth. Love it. Will watch it over and over. Great story, great acting, great for singles, family, writers or anyone.
September 22, 2014
The words of choices are still intact to make it "literatural" pleasant to understand.

And think god he didn't move to mexico in the end.

If you set the "mind" clock down to 11-26. You will probably appreciate the movie a bit more.
The movie is around the idea of imagination and trying to communicate in a "literature" sense of the character.
The background of "cowboy" fantasy, might not be the most effective "theatrical" expression by the people whom study such.

But the rebirth of his writing was an interesting one, and the communication was for the kid and the lady.
And it captures almost any writer implicit or explicit aware of it in the minds of people.

Unless you are solely writing for personal record.
But if there is a reason to write for "personal record", its probably because scared that self will forgot something important. Hence, the writing is for a less perfected and memorable self.

Doubting what is in Isle Belle island, the craft of theatrical work its poor, I totally agrees that.
Even the three daughter's role, is crafted in a way that's predictable after the older girl picks up the diary.
It tries to resolve and establish a way for the viewer to untangle conflicts between the characters and merge a "happy ending".

But I don't think is wrong, it just that you can only sandwhich so much within a 2 hour movie.
September 7, 2014
Simple, little slow and dark at first, quickly teens very charming
August 22, 2014
Best movie I've ever seen. I never seem to like top critically acclaimed pics, so it makes sense the 'experts' did not like this one.