The Magic of Belle Isle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Magic of Belle Isle Reviews

½ October 18, 2016
Some will probably find it boring or corny. Also, for me the physical chemistry wasn't there. Not because of lacking performances by either of the leads, but rather from a curious pairing in terms of casting. Freeman looks like he is old enough to be her father's childhood friend. Nevertheless, I still thought it was a sweet and uplifting enjoyable little film.
September 16, 2016
Very sweet family fun. Beautifully depicts the timelessness of love and family.
May 18, 2016
the peaceful life in rural village
April 3, 2016
OK, before we get going, let's clear the air. Yes, we've got cliche, predictability, and lack of realism. With that out of the way, let's get into it. Keep in mind this is a family movie, so one can excuse a lack of sophistication. All wannabe "serious" critics, take a hike. It's family time.

Overall, there's a great warmth to the characters and their interaction, especially with Monte and Finn. Pretty standard fair that you've got the curmudgeonly old guy and honest, straight-from-the-hip 10-yr-old striking a fondness for each other that runs deep. And yes, the wise literary author is even going to learn from his young mentor. Who's teaching who here? Ah yes, cliche but still an enjoyable film. Me and my 10-yr-old liked it, and that's all that matters. Critics be damned.
½ February 14, 2016
I liked this movie a lot. It's Morgan Freeman in a different type of role who associates well with the child actors in this film. I was pleasantly surprised how it all came together, more like how traditional movies used to be filmed with more authentic talent and less special effects. I feel like the critics were too harsh with their ratings and suggest, go ahead and give it a try. I think most of you will enjoy this flick!
½ January 24, 2016
Great acting as always from Morgan Freeman even though the story isn't spectacular it's always worth watching Morgan Freeman perform
November 13, 2015
A very nice story about searching for what is not there in your life.
½ October 25, 2015
Very sweet movie, about creativity and the imagination; love; family; writing; Beethoven; community; alcoholism; and grief/loss. Beautiful acting and just a lovely film.
Clintus M.
½ September 25, 2015
This is a hidden gem from director Rob Reiner, reconnecting him with Morgan Freeman from The Bucket List. If you enjoyed that film, you'll probably like this one as well. This concerns a journey through life's turmoil, although without the presence of Nicholson-much less acerbic. Belle Isle is a beautiful, tender story about characters you really care about. Like Bucket List, this movie is about second chances in life, making the best of what time you have left. I appreciated that it had a theme for every stage of life, although it centered on Monte Wildhorn (Freeman). The intersection of his life with the newly-divorced mother and children of varying ages next door was the perfect complement and foil for Wildhorn. The film does venture into schmaltzy, Hallmark territory, but just go with it. Allowing yourself simply to be inspired and entertained won't hurt.

One criticism: The sort-of romantic angle between Monte Wildhorn and Charlotte O'Neil (Virginia Madsen) seemed forced, not plausible or realistic to me. Madsen was quoted as saying that her on-screen relationship with Freeman (albeit brief) was the first on-screen romance in his long, storied career. Kudos to Reiner, then for thinking outside the box.
½ August 27, 2015
The storyline is good thought not great. It's predictable but well played, so... Freeman is convincing, as usual. I only ever get annoyed by sarcastic people being always portrayed as disagreeable jerks. Does nobody appreciate crude honesty anymore? Beats lying, hypocrisy and bootlicking anytime.
½ July 29, 2015
An very average film but still it maintains its sweetness.
June 27, 2015
2015-06-27 netflix psn pretty slow and pretty predictable
May 14, 2015
very pleasant film in the way movies used to be long ago. Well written, gentle,warm story.
March 27, 2015
Middle of the road feel-good sap. It feels an awful lot longer than it is.
March 8, 2015
Excellent movie good for the whole family from 1 to 99. Morgan Freeman does an outstanding job which is something he does so well.
February 15, 2015
I'm only giving this movie three stars because it had Morgan Freeman in it-- and I love Morgan Freeman.
½ February 6, 2015
No. Spoilers below, but they barely warrant a warning; if you're paying any kind of attention then you know what's going to happen well before you see any of it. The gushing sentimentality would be warranted if there were a shred of depth behind it. The best scenes are when the movie attempts to tackle something mundane and everyday, those feel natural and real; the rest is just an endless slew of cliches. Freeman tries but he doesn't have much to work with, his character would have been much more interesting if the movie gave his feelings and struggles with his disabled state any screentime at all. He woos the cardboard cut out mother character with a children's book without the slightest nuance or personal relevance or significance, and has to teach an imaginative child about imagination (at the girl's insistence and a $34.18 pricetag). The only conflict in the movie is entirely contrived, sharply out of character, and easily dismissed. Humor comes either from tired gags or at the expense of a mentally challenged boy. Literally nothing in the movie is genuine and unless you like your characters one-dimensional and your plot free of craps to give, you'll probably be more frustrated at the wasted potential than anything.
February 2, 2015
This is a sweet story that made us all a bit teary-eyed. Takes a real cynic not to let go sometimes and just enjoy a heart-felt story. This pic gave us fresh reason to believe that there is good "out there" and that there are people (thank you, Rob Reiner!) who aren't afraid to say so.
½ December 28, 2014
This Hallmark movie repeats the same 5 scenes throughout the whole movie, and the scenes become so predictable you'd think someone kept sitting on the remote rewinding he movie.