The Magic of Belle Isle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Magic of Belle Isle Reviews

½ July 30, 2017
As expected from a film directed by Rob Reiner with charm and Morgan Freeman performing as a source for good-natured inspiration with some heart and humor, it's enjoyable despite some little melodrama being hidden behind exposing peeks. (B)

(Full review TBD)
½ July 8, 2017
I personally feel it's a beautiful movie.
July 7, 2017
Between 2.5 and 3. The only attractive comes from the charismatic figure of Morgan Freeman.
January 27, 2017
It is not a bad movie. It just has too many overused mismatching parts.
½ January 26, 2017
Pese a que los críticos fueron duros con esta peli, yo creo que se merece una oportunidad, porque es un llamado a la dulzura, a aprender a conectarse con los otros e inclusive tiene un encuentro con el romance. Morgan Freeman es Monte Wildhorn, un autor de historias de vaqueros, quien se refugia en un tranquilo pueblo para lamentarse por su triste vida y pasar su alcoholismo; pero alli conocerá a sus vecinas. Una madre y tres hijas que se volverán sus amigas, que le servirán para volver a encontrar la perdida inspiración que tuvo alguna vez como escritor
January 21, 2017
Thank God I fell asleep watching this movie. Morgan Freeman's voice is the only good part.
January 16, 2017
A quiet, slice-of-life tale of inner transformation that has some very talented actors who are given plenty of sharp dialogue, but it is their characterizations and the story that aren't so strong, and that don't set it apart from even the best Hallmark movies.
January 8, 2017
I have watched this movie over ten times and will continue watching it periodically. It's sweet, human, and soothing. Excellent chemistry between Mr. Freeman and Ms. Madsen.
½ October 18, 2016
Some will probably find it boring or corny. Also, for me the physical chemistry wasn't there. Not because of lacking performances by either of the leads, but rather from a curious pairing in terms of casting. Freeman looks like he is old enough to be her father's childhood friend. Nevertheless, I still thought it was a sweet and uplifting enjoyable little film.
September 16, 2016
Very sweet family fun. Beautifully depicts the timelessness of love and family.
May 18, 2016
the peaceful life in rural village
April 3, 2016
OK, before we get going, let's clear the air. Yes, we've got cliche, predictability, and lack of realism. With that out of the way, let's get into it. Keep in mind this is a family movie, so one can excuse a lack of sophistication. All wannabe "serious" critics, take a hike. It's family time.

Overall, there's a great warmth to the characters and their interaction, especially with Monte and Finn. Pretty standard fair that you've got the curmudgeonly old guy and honest, straight-from-the-hip 10-yr-old striking a fondness for each other that runs deep. And yes, the wise literary author is even going to learn from his young mentor. Who's teaching who here? Ah yes, cliche but still an enjoyable film. Me and my 10-yr-old liked it, and that's all that matters. Critics be damned.
½ February 14, 2016
I liked this movie a lot. It's Morgan Freeman in a different type of role who associates well with the child actors in this film. I was pleasantly surprised how it all came together, more like how traditional movies used to be filmed with more authentic talent and less special effects. I feel like the critics were too harsh with their ratings and suggest, go ahead and give it a try. I think most of you will enjoy this flick!
½ January 24, 2016
Great acting as always from Morgan Freeman even though the story isn't spectacular it's always worth watching Morgan Freeman perform
November 13, 2015
A very nice story about searching for what is not there in your life.
½ October 25, 2015
Very sweet movie, about creativity and the imagination; love; family; writing; Beethoven; community; alcoholism; and grief/loss. Beautiful acting and just a lovely film.
Clintus M.
½ September 25, 2015
This is a hidden gem from director Rob Reiner, reconnecting him with Morgan Freeman from The Bucket List. If you enjoyed that film, you'll probably like this one as well. This concerns a journey through life's turmoil, although without the presence of Nicholson-much less acerbic. Belle Isle is a beautiful, tender story about characters you really care about. Like Bucket List, this movie is about second chances in life, making the best of what time you have left. I appreciated that it had a theme for every stage of life, although it centered on Monte Wildhorn (Freeman). The intersection of his life with the newly-divorced mother and children of varying ages next door was the perfect complement and foil for Wildhorn. The film does venture into schmaltzy, Hallmark territory, but just go with it. Allowing yourself simply to be inspired and entertained won't hurt.

One criticism: The sort-of romantic angle between Monte Wildhorn and Charlotte O'Neil (Virginia Madsen) seemed forced, not plausible or realistic to me. Madsen was quoted as saying that her on-screen relationship with Freeman (albeit brief) was the first on-screen romance in his long, storied career. Kudos to Reiner, then for thinking outside the box.
½ August 27, 2015
The storyline is good thought not great. It's predictable but well played, so... Freeman is convincing, as usual. I only ever get annoyed by sarcastic people being always portrayed as disagreeable jerks. Does nobody appreciate crude honesty anymore? Beats lying, hypocrisy and bootlicking anytime.
½ July 29, 2015
An very average film but still it maintains its sweetness.
June 27, 2015