The Magic of Belle Isle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Magic of Belle Isle Reviews

May 14, 2015
very pleasant film in the way movies used to be long ago. Well written, gentle,warm story.
March 27, 2015
Middle of the road feel-good sap. It feels an awful lot longer than it is.
March 8, 2015
Excellent movie good for the whole family from 1 to 99. Morgan Freeman does an outstanding job which is something he does so well.
February 15, 2015
I'm only giving this movie three stars because it had Morgan Freeman in it-- and I love Morgan Freeman.
½ February 6, 2015
No. Spoilers below, but they barely warrant a warning; if you're paying any kind of attention then you know what's going to happen well before you see any of it. The gushing sentimentality would be warranted if there were a shred of depth behind it. The best scenes are when the movie attempts to tackle something mundane and everyday, those feel natural and real; the rest is just an endless slew of cliches. Freeman tries but he doesn't have much to work with, his character would have been much more interesting if the movie gave his feelings and struggles with his disabled state any screentime at all. He woos the cardboard cut out mother character with a children's book without the slightest nuance or personal relevance or significance, and has to teach an imaginative child about imagination (at the girl's insistence and a $34.18 pricetag). The only conflict in the movie is entirely contrived, sharply out of character, and easily dismissed. Humor comes either from tired gags or at the expense of a mentally challenged boy. Literally nothing in the movie is genuine and unless you like your characters one-dimensional and your plot free of craps to give, you'll probably be more frustrated at the wasted potential than anything.
February 2, 2015
This is a sweet story that made us all a bit teary-eyed. Takes a real cynic not to let go sometimes and just enjoy a heart-felt story. This pic gave us fresh reason to believe that there is good "out there" and that there are people (thank you, Rob Reiner!) who aren't afraid to say so.
½ December 28, 2014
This Hallmark movie repeats the same 5 scenes throughout the whole movie, and the scenes become so predictable you'd think someone kept sitting on the remote rewinding he movie.
½ December 14, 2014
Great Movie. Morgan Freeman plays a very realistic alcoholic
½ December 3, 2014
I thought this movie was adorable
November 4, 2014
This has to be the best movie on this earth. Love it. Will watch it over and over. Great story, great acting, great for singles, family, writers or anyone.
½ October 28, 2014
its a good movie morgan freeman i know good is not good enough for morgan but its not bad
October 6, 2014
Good story, but there's really a lack of chemistry among the characters, and the lack of a back story for the mom character makes it impossible to really connect to her.
September 22, 2014
The words of choices are still intact to make it "literatural" pleasant to understand.

And think god he didn't move to mexico in the end.

If you set the "mind" clock down to 11-26. You will probably appreciate the movie a bit more.
The movie is around the idea of imagination and trying to communicate in a "literature" sense of the character.
The background of "cowboy" fantasy, might not be the most effective "theatrical" expression by the people whom study such.

But the rebirth of his writing was an interesting one, and the communication was for the kid and the lady.
And it captures almost any writer implicit or explicit aware of it in the minds of people.

Unless you are solely writing for personal record.
But if there is a reason to write for "personal record", its probably because scared that self will forgot something important. Hence, the writing is for a less perfected and memorable self.

Doubting what is in Isle Belle island, the craft of theatrical work its poor, I totally agrees that.
Even the three daughter's role, is crafted in a way that's predictable after the older girl picks up the diary.
It tries to resolve and establish a way for the viewer to untangle conflicts between the characters and merge a "happy ending".

But I don't think is wrong, it just that you can only sandwhich so much within a 2 hour movie.
½ September 20, 2014
Not a best for a Morgan Freeman film but this one had its charm. Kudos to the little girl's acting though. She proved her acting skills to be worthy of a Hollywood future.
September 9, 2014
Not Morgan Freeman's best, definitely a bit on the boring side.
September 7, 2014
Simple, little slow and dark at first, quickly teens very charming
August 22, 2014
Best movie I've ever seen. I never seem to like top critically acclaimed pics, so it makes sense the 'experts' did not like this one.
August 10, 2014
As usual the professional critics are out of touch with what the audiences really like. This movie was a very enjoyable look at a difficult summer for three girls whose parents are splitting, made magical by a unique neighbor. The performance by Emma Fuhrmann was fantastic and as she goes on to be a star she can be proud of this early one. Fans of Madsen and Freeman will enjoy this one as we did.
½ July 30, 2014
I don't actually know why I watched this one. It isn't a well-known title, it didn't do well at the box office, it will eventually be one of those footnotes in Morgan Freeman's career. But I am glad that I did watch it as it is infinitely better than some of the more popular crap out there these days.

Freeman plays Monte Wildhorn, a stubborn, alcoholic ex-writer who is spending his summer at a rent-free home in a place called Belle Isle. He's lost his wife (to cancer) and his will to do anything with his life anymore. Much to his initial dislike, he befriends a single mom (Virginia Madsen) and her three daughters, one of which, Finnegan (Emma Fuhrmann), takes an interest in his writing. Over the course of the summer Finnegan and her mother change his outlook on life.

This is a predictable story. One that gives you an 'oh, yeah, it'll go like that'-moment sometime in the first 15 minutes. And you will be right. But in this case it doesn't matter. Freeman's slow transformation is fun to watch and even at Monte's worst moments, you'll love this character. The lead opposite Freeman is Fuhrmann, who does a much better-than-average job of portraying the young and curious girl that provokes Monte enough to start turning around.

The production of the movie is solid. Thanks to Reed Morano's great cinematography, this movie breathes a consistent, strong atmosphere, which adds to the pleasure of watching as the 1 hour and 50 minutes roll by.

Pros: Keeps you entertained, even though you know how it's going to end.
Cons: Not spectacular, predictable
Verdict: Fine