The Man From Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man From Earth Reviews

½ April 11, 2019
This movie deserves zero stars. The acting is bad, the direction is non-existent, and the script has nothing interesting to say at all, unless you think that "Christianity wasn't all that original," is an insight worth spending 87 minutes on. And who are these professors? "There's nothing we can ask him that can disprove what he's saying!" How's this for a start: how do you get your passports? Are real names listed on your fake birth certificate? Was the man you met in the 1600s named Connor or Duncan MacCleod, by chance?
March 15, 2019
Very deep and thought provoking movie on the way in which religion came about and how we would perceive it in a more primitive state.
January 5, 2019
Fascinating and well written, serving as a good reminder that good SF doesn't require a big special effects budget.
January 3, 2019
I absolutely loved this movie. Has a great storey and a really interesting concept.
December 25, 2018
Most Unique, best movie ever!
August 18, 2018
What started as an interesting premise, got lost in bad dialogue, bad acting, and gossamer thin statements that are less thought provoking than they are built up to be. As some reviewers have stated, there were so many plot lines that could have been explored, but what was presented strained credulity, even for a story of a dude who was supposedly 14,000 years old, and that's saying something. For all the reviews claiming it was the best movie they'd ever seen, and have watched it multiple times, you need to get out more if this is your gold standard.
August 2, 2018
The Man from Earth is my favorite movie that takes place in a single room. Perhaps it's the author in me that appreciates the challenge. John, a college professor, has just resigned and plans to move away. His colleagues corner him in his house and demand an explanation. What ensues is a masterpiece of fiction. The professor confesses that he is 15,000-years old (roughly). When people start to notice he doesn't age, he moves away and creates a new identity for himself. His colleagues, experts in their fields, try to discredit John's story, but they keep hitting walls.

The best part of this movie is the alternate history presented and the rich backstory of a man that claims to be 15,000 years old. (What a fun challenge for the writers). What starts off sounding like a joke turns into a serious discussion with twists and turns you wouldn't expect. I love that the writers were not afraid to tackle any subject.

The only downsides to this film are the intermittent subpar acting at times and some stilted dialogue. These were minimal and not bad enough to detract from the movie. Throughout the movie, you may also get the feeling that it's going to end without any answers, which would have ruined the movie, but don't worry, there is a solid ending with some satisfying twists that will make you want to watch the movie again.
July 8, 2018
Quite simply the best film ever made. Thought provoking and done without a Hollywood budget. Phenomenal cast of actors that shows you the caliber of this script and plot based on their histories. The emphasticisim they portray in the acting, the cinematography, this should be mandatory viewing for any person from earth.
July 4, 2018
Holy shit. This budget, this implication, this storytelling, what else you can ask for! Fantastic!
April 24, 2018
The Man from Earth (Ein philosophischer Film über einen Mann der seinen Freunden ein sehr verstörendes Geheimnis offenbart. Dieser Film gehört zu den wenigen Filmen die nur in einem Raum spielen. Ein brillianter Film von Regisseur Richard Schenkman)
April 21, 2018
watch or listen this movie for more than hundreds times in past three month.
April 9, 2018
my favourite film absolutely incredible and thought provoking and i would recommend it to everyone
April 7, 2018
The story is mind-blowing, so I forgive the poor camera, poor lighting, and mediocre acting. This is certainly an entertaining must see.
March 4, 2018
In some aspects, it´s an anti-film. Conceived as a sofa-discussion, in some momentos the reactions of characters -actors do good, but you can see they are not enormous ones- are more academical than real. However, it´s a strong script, everything is well justified, intelligently thought, and the films deserves to be watched.
January 24, 2018
Very interesting from beginning to end. Highly original plot that keeps the viewer engaged constantly. The acting could be better but that's the price of making a low budget movie.
January 23, 2018
The script was really well written. No special effects no nothing. Just dialogues.
½ January 17, 2018
Excellent movie. It reminded me that, like "My Dinner with Andre" and "Napoleon Dynamite," it is possible to make a fine film with a limited budget but a fantastical idea.
½ December 8, 2017
This movie takes a different aproach on sci-fi with the constant dialoguing throughout the movie. While i watched it, i felt like i was included on that dialogue. With that in mind, the piece brings interesting philosophical debates to the table and has an overall well-rounded script.
December 7, 2017
The Man From Earth is hands down one of the finest films I've ever had the pleasure to watch. I don't think it's for everyone; after all, it's an hour and a half of 8 people just talking in a single room. But what a discussion! From a philosophical standpoint, it's incredibly interesting. This is the only film I'd give a 10/10, and I could watch it again and again. However I envy anyone who hasn't seen it, because they get to watch it for the first time...
November 2, 2017
Extraordinary film. When a good storytelling empowers your imagination.