The Man in the Iron Mask Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Jun 25, 2016

director james whale breathes so much needed like into this often filmed classic

• Feb 21, 2016

The future of France depends on this moment. King Louis XIV has twin sons and is concerned that they will divide his country so he exiles one. The king dies and the non-exiled son becomes king. He quickly ensures his brother will never be heard from again by having an iron mask put on him and the brother hidden. The exiled brother will need to find a way to make his back to France before he is beheaded. "End the resemblance." James Whale, director of Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Old Dark House, The Kiss Before the Mirror, One More River, and Show Boat, delivers The Man in the Iron Mask. The storyline for this picture is fascinating with several clever twists. The settings and acting is solid and the cast includes Louis Hayward, Joan Bennett, Alan Hale, Warren William, and Marion Martin. "You're a beautiful liar." I randomly came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to DVR this classic. I thoroughly enjoyed this picture and thought it was entertaining and worthwhile. This is one of the greats but may not be worth adding to your collection. I recommend seeing this once. "I am a very unusual person." Grade: B-

• Jun 30, 2015

Faithful to the tale, but not engaging.

Faithful to the tale, but not engaging.

• Feb 07, 2015

Interesting! The 3 Musketeers and D'Artagnan. King of France..Queen Maria Theresa.. History in there. Sets were Beautiful. Too bad it wasn't in color.

• Apr 17, 2013

A famous tale brought to life by James Whale--Good old swashbuckler!!

A famous tale brought to life by James Whale--Good old swashbuckler!!

• Dec 07, 2012

Worth finding and watching!

Worth finding and watching!

• Mar 31, 2012

Very nice version of the tale.

Very nice version of the tale.

• Apr 04, 2011

Fun, fast paced thriller with a witty script, and lush sets/scenery, that I haven't seen since I was a small child. Directed by the great James Whale [Frankenstein] and featuring the stunning Joan Bennett of Dark Shadows fame. Highest praise.

• Mar 31, 2010

James Whale directed this early adaptation of Alexander Dumas' swashbuckling classic. Excellent lavish production and design and costumes, as well as great black and white cinematography, make for some great Golden Age Hollywood imagery. But with the exception of a handful of lively action scenes, it plays a bit too talky and stodgy by modern standards. Classic movie fans will find a lot to appreciate, but it doesn't quite reach the engrossing atmospherics of Whale's other films.