The Man of My Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man of My Life Reviews

½ October 11, 2013
Ça se laisser regarder sans pour autant dégager une originalité particulière. Un drame passionnel dans le plus pur style longuet français.
September 2, 2012
I never write reviews but this movie was so hard for me to rate... the music, cinematography, setting, actors, and attention to detail were all really great, and I appreciated that the movie avoids most cliches and conventions with narrative... but what the heck, it got way too unnecessarily repetitive and the plot just fell flat, it could've been 20-30 minutes shorter. Also maybe the meaning gets lost in translation but I think the title is dumb too. The trailer had me interested because it looked artsy and didn't look like some gay romance, and I'm glad that the movie didn't end up like that but by the end I was frustrated by all the nonsense and unsatisfied.
June 4, 2012
no info = no interest
March 20, 2012
A ratos divertida, a ratos aburrida, momentos incomprensibles, pero sobre todo muy poetica. Hay puntos con una fotografia exquicita, el ir de atras para adelante puede confundir pero no del todo. El descenlace queda muy abierto tipico de las peliculas atipicas. Muy buen guion,
Bill D 2007
November 7, 2011
"The Man of My Life," the second film from French filmmaker / screenwriter / actress Zabou Breitman, isn't very good, but at least it's ambitious. It tries to explore new emotional territory. While it's pretty seriously flawed and sometimes laughably flat-footed and pretentious, it is the work of a genuine artist. One that is still learning her craft; but then aren't we all.

The story, which Breitman co-wrote, introduces us to a delightful, down-to-earth family vacationing in a gorgeous villa in the south of France. (The setting is exquisite, and the cinematography is ravishing. This is the true French countryside.) Moving in next door is a single gay man, whom the family befriends.

Gradually through the course of the summer, a special bond develops between the father (played very well by Bernard Campan) and the neighbor. At times they seem like two giddy boys together. Little by little, it appears that they might be falling in love. Their conversations get quite deep, exploring feelings about family, love, relationships, children, etc. And each late-night conversation leaves them oddly moved and oddly uncomfortable. So much seems to be going on just below the surface.

The film doesn't have much of a dramatic arc. It doesn't want to be a coming-out melodrama, although there is a little bit of that. It mostly wants to raise questions and explore the emotional landscape of middle-aged men feeling the ground beneath them shifting uncomfortably.

The weaknesses in "The Man of My Life" are so significant that I cannot recommend it. But at a minimum, it makes me want to try one more Breitman film to see if she pulls off her interesting experiments with more success elsewhere. (She has directed two more films since completing this one.)

It is interesting to ponder what it must be like for straight married men who start to feel their sexuality open up in middle age. From what I can tell, this is happening quite a bit lately. My heart goes out to these men as they struggle to balance loyalty to family with loyalty to their own hearts.
November 6, 2011
Interesting that this film was written and directed by a woman..has a lot of symbolism, and basically revolves around a somewhat-romantic friendship between a heterosexual married man (Frederic) and a gay single guy named Hugo who is his neighbor. The dynamics between the men, more subtle and conversational than physical, allow us to learn more than if the issue of sex was raised quickly. The romance is not about sexual attraction, but the role people play in the life of the other that bring forth emotions. This is a rich film, combining philosophy with sensuality, whimsy with beauty. As a female viewer I have to confess that it will break my heart if my husband of so many years was to fall in love with a man considering the couple in this film had a life built together with children so I have mixed feelings about the storyline, but from the film making perspective, yes it was very good and its available on Netflix for instant viewing..
½ July 8, 2011
A beautifully shot and unexpectedly poetic tale of the nature of the human heart.
½ April 16, 2011
Completely banal. I kept hoping the film would go somewhere, anywhere but it never does. The acting is passable but mainly because the characters themselves lack any depth or development. I've seen many a French film in my years but this one was like watching paint dry. The director had a beautiful canvas to work with in the location but even the scenery was shot so that it too was dull and lifeless.
½ January 15, 2011
good dialogues. a bit pretensious, though.
March 31, 2010
Typical French art movie, but people still would understand that. Not bad.
January 18, 2010
One of those films I kept thinking of people I wanted to share it with as I watched it. Overly stylized (perhaps we can just say that's a French thing), but the elliptical narrative structure and the over-the-top framing really worked for me. I think the characters are believable and beautiful and the film presents a world of emotion without falling into some sort of sensationalism.
jjnxn
½ January 17, 2010
Beautiful images, good acting.
January 6, 2010
Beautiful and intelligent, to say the least. Your horizons will expand after experiencing this film.
½ December 12, 2009
It's funny how you like a movie more when it's harder to grasp it.The plot is very simple and yet there is so much happening. The whole movie feels like you're watching an artist at work. It's a visual delight and emotionally draining(in a good way)
November 14, 2009
es como una pieza de arte, contemporánea, que refleja los miedos y los pendientes que vamos acarreando por la vida. fina, elegante y muy profunda. vale la pena!
October 2, 2009
Good movie but going into it you must know you'll end up asking more questions than receiving answers. The cinematography is gorgeous and that alone for me was worth watching.
August 28, 2009
Un très beau film, réunissant 2 hommes que tout oppose dans la vie. Encore une fois Zabou sait filmer le temps qui passe avec des images simples et une poésie empreinte de nos souvenirs d'enfance
June 4, 2009
"I'm not indestructible. I'm not invincible. I'm wobbly, imperfect, broken paw, heart in tatters ..." Simply a beautiful movie. This film has made me a fan of Zabou Breitman.