The Mermaid Chair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mermaid Chair Reviews

½ April 29, 2013
This is a pretty good story, based on the novel. I enjoyed it more then I thought I would.
½ February 8, 2012
just ok made 4 lifetime pic
½ May 11, 2010
This film was exactly like the book.
½ August 24, 2009
Une histoire d'amour entre une femme mariée et un moine, un interdit! Mais pourquoi une histoire bizarre de sirčnes et un mystčre sur son pčre qui fait perdre l'essentiel du film??
May 19, 2009
Just okay, but what was up with Kim Basinger's hair?
January 11, 2009
Wonderful movie .A very unusual love story told in a quiet and peacefull way ,not like ordinary Hollywood movies .Great acting and I must say ....great music (Secret Garden) even with my small contribution ;)
October 14, 2008
This would be good if Kim Basinger wasn't in it.
½ August 4, 2008
A vague chick-flick. Jessie has a husband and child, a mother with a secret who is cutting off her fingers, a father she thinks she killed and a love affair with a monk.

The movie has some failings, but I would watch it again.
July 31, 2008
Maldita película de chichoneo prohibido entre la veterana 0 km y el monje sacrílego. La agarré de pedo por cable, quería dormir y me atrapó, así que no dormí una mierda. Básicamente mucho más que que el monje le termina dando a la mina y no sé por qué cuernos no terminan juntos, no entendí. Por qué carajo se cortaba la vieja los dedos???
May 16, 2008
Oddly good, totally strange story but somehow it draws you in.
May 11, 2008
I caught this movie accidentally one morning. And I couldn't leave the house before I would know the ending. It's a lovely slow pace movie, with a controversial love story, supernatural/mythical elements which are never shown but dwelling somewhere in the background, pretty landscape and a decent message hidden underneath. It's nothing thrilling or revealing, but in a way very comforting. Good for a day when everything goes wrong ;)
½ March 15, 2008
You are made to believe the story is going to be way more exciting than it turns out to be.
March 12, 2008
I would never watch this movie in a million years if it hadn't been filmed a block from my house but it turned out to be pretty good overall.
February 25, 2008
I actually caught this on Lifetime TV one lazy Sunday morning. It is a good adaptation of Sue Monk Kidd's excellent novel. The topic might be disturbing to some people, as it includes the story of a married woman and a monk who have an affair. It is an interesting story with a surprising ending, and I can't wait until a movie adaptation of the author's other book 'The Secret Life of Bees' comes out.
February 12, 2008
its was soooo SWEET!!! and had me in tears soo many times!
August 16, 2007
Never even managed to get more then a couple chapters into the book