The Mighty Macs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mighty Macs Reviews

August 25, 2016
The story of Basketball Hall of Fame coach, Cathy Rush. Cute film, with a great ending, but did not delve into the coach as much as it could have (or the players for that matter).
April 24, 2014
sports dramagood historical
February 27, 2014
Awesome movie..very motivating and inspirational.. Specifically knowing its a true story
½ June 3, 2013
It was straight. Love sports movies. This one was a little "ehhhh" in the story line but at least the team won! lol
½ May 10, 2013
An OK movie. Too much crammed into the time allotted and Carla Gugino's lack of acting range disappointed me although I did enjoy looking at her.
March 7, 2013
Warning: bare knees galore. Not safe for geriatrics unless accompanied by an oblate.
December 23, 2012
It's the Hoosiers of women's college basketball!
½ December 21, 2012
Good movie and inspiring true story for the underdogs in the Sports World, makes you want to get out there and cheer with the Nuns!
October 29, 2012
This is a review from Julianna Noone, reporting for KIDS FIRST! Whether you are into basketball, or just an average girl growing up today, ‚The Mighty Macs‚? is a movie that will inspire you. This movie, based in the early 1970‚(TM)s, is about Cathy Rush (Carla Gugino ‚" Night of the Museum) a young married woman who decides she wants a career over just waiting at home each day for her husband Ed (David Boreanaz ‚" Bones) to come home from his job each day. She is a great example for all women and especially young women who must decide on going to college and finding a career for themselves.
Cathy‚(TM)s dream is to coach basketball. This wasn‚(TM)t a usual job for a woman in the 1970‚(TM)s but it didn‚(TM)t stop Cathy from following her dream. This is a great lesson for anyone, regardless if you are a girl or a boy, an athlete or a non-athlete. Follow your dream and don‚(TM)t let anyone tell you that you can‚(TM)t do it. For anyone that plays organized sports, you know that a Coach does more than teach you the actual sport, they teach you life lessons as well. Whether is to be the best you can be at anything you do or to want more for yourself than others expect, this story will inspire you. The coach also teaches you about teamwork and that everyone on the team is more than a team, but a family. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when the team helps one ‚tomboyish‚? girl, look like a beautiful woman for their team photo. It was a great point in the movie, where the team really came together as a ‚family‚?.
Another of my favorite parts of this movie is after their first game, another loss, Cathy is angry with the team‚(TM)s effort, so she takes them outside in the rain to practice. She leads the girls through defensive slides (this is a basketball drill where you shuffle your feet left to right, then back, with your hands out) in a tunnel, yelling ‚quick and dry‚?, over and over again.
I rate this film 5 out of 5 stars, because I love basketball and it‚(TM)s totally inspiring for young girls and basketball players too, showing you what hard work and determination can do for a person. I recommend this film for girls 10 ‚" 18 years old.
½ October 5, 2012
This was really just terrible. A failure in pretty much every respect. No likeable characters whatsoever, and therefore a disengaging plotline. Along with all that, there is a preachy feel to the whole movie that makes you feel like you're 8 years old and in the classroom.
½ September 29, 2012
Good and inspirational
½ September 29, 2012
This was feel good movie. Good local story. Could have had more back ground on the players and Cathy Rush but a fun movie none the less.
August 24, 2012
I love a good sports movie but this one was too bland and the coach said one too many cliches.
½ July 22, 2012
What can I say I am a sucker for an underdog inspirational sports movie. They get me every time
½ July 13, 2012
Although I'm not Catholic, I will almost always watch movies featuring nuns. Although I'm not a sport girl, I will almost always watch uplifting sports movies. So when I caught wind of this nuns-and-basketball movie, I was totally in. A compelling, if predictable, story that's worth watching for the feel-good vibe and increasingly '70s outfits the lead actress wears. I mean really, each scene is more '70s than the previous, starting with a gaucho one piece and moving on to a succession of ridiculous head scarves, glittering sweaters, huge-collared blouses, plaid pant suits. We've got the whole spectrum on display!
July 12, 2012
Can't help it - I'm a sucker for inspirational stories. Acting was a bit wooden, and the plot was predictable, but I still found myself cheering them on.
½ July 11, 2012
Entretenida a ratos. Pero se vuelve muy predecible y llega a ser aburrida.
July 9, 2012
"The Mighty Macs" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: The true story that the film is based on is actually interesting ... far more interesting than the movie version. Making this movie wasn't a bad idea as it had the potential to be a great "feel good" movie that you can't help but like. To it's credit, the film at least did a decent job keeping your interest. You do want to stick it out until the end to see what happens.

The Bad: Since this concept has been done to death, there needs to be something about this film that sets it apart ... but there is nothing. There is zero characterization for the members of the team and at times I had a difficult time even telling them apart. The outcome was also never in doubt and you need at least a HINT of doubt for this sort of film to work. Lastly, the lead character was difficult to get behind as even I felt she was too hard on the team and did a few things that were beyond questionable.
July 9, 2012
"The Mighty Macs" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

July 1, 2012
Seeing the true story of the first women's college basketball championship in 1972 -- a real basketball Cinderella story! -- and the legacy of a remarkable coach was a pleasure. The film lacks subtlety (the music in particular was over-dramatic), but makes up for it in reminding us what it means to give women equal access to sports. I especially enjoyed the DVD's special features with interviews of the coach and some of her players... and seeing how they all made cameo appearances in the movie!